dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Aikman is a Hall of Fame QB, who threw to a Hall of Fame WO, handed off to a Hall of Fame RB, who was blocked by a FB That should be in the Hall of Fame, behind a line that most should also be HoF contenders. Who's leads were protected by future hall of famers and Hall of famers alike.

Romo is a better QB, because well... he has to be. He throws to an undrafted guy, a first round pick that has had all of .5 of an off season program ever and a Hall of Fame Tight End in Witten. He hands off to... oh wait. Who is running behind ... oh wait. Behind a line that is full of disappointment and only looks that good because Romo is mobile. Who's leads are not protected by much of anyone.

Who cares if Austin is undrafted? He isnt a scrub, he's had a ton of success and when healthy is one of the better WR's in the league. Terrell Owens is a hall of fame WR. Terry Glenn was an excellent WR. Jason Witten is one of the best 4 or 5 best TE's in the history of football. Dez Bryant is a tremendous talent.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
A strong and accurate arm are not all that is needed to be a good QB. See Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, et al. Good lord, what do you not understand about sample size?

Neither Jeff george or Ryan Leaf threw the ball with the kind of accuracy Aikman did. And I understand sample size, I also understand how the QB rating is calculated.

Again, that alone doesn't mean he's a better QB. He wasn't more accurate than Romo, nor could he protect the ball as well. Romo doesn't have as strong an arm, but he's not a noodle arm either.

He definitely was more accurate than Romo, and he did protect the ball better. Romo does not hit receivers in stride nearly as much as Aikman did.

None of those are "terrible" QBs. Shaun Hill? How can he even have enough starts or attempts to even qualify as top 25 all time passer rating? And I don't think passer rating is the only QB stat, do you?

Apparently they do, they are on the list. Again go look at it, and get back to me about the importance of "stats" when deciding what QB's are "great", which one's are "good" and which ones are mediocre. There's alot of guys in the top 25-30 who'd I'd class as mediocre to good at best.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Aikman himself is saying this. People are arguing about it like a random beat writer suggested it. There's really no argument when your source is also the person in question.
Roger Staubach said he believed in Quincy Carter, too.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Someone just said that Garrett is a far better coach than Gailey or Switzer.

lol lol lol

Garrett is no better than Dave Campo at the moment.

Reaction score
Neither Jeff george or Ryan Leaf threw the ball with the kind of accuracy Aikman did. And I understand sample size, I also understand how the QB rating is calculated.

He definitely was more accurate than Romo, and he did protect the ball better. Romo does not hit receivers in stride nearly as much as Aikman did.
This is such bullshit. You're telling me, you, the great dbair, believe that Aikman is more accurate than Romo, despite Romo being clearly superior in career completion percentage, just based on what you saw with your own eyes? That's not proof at all. And you're going to say he protected the ball better than Romo, again despite what the statistics say -- that Romo threw less interceptions? Those are some effective blinders you got on there dbair... I dare say more effective than the ones you usually have on.

Apparently they do, they are on the list. Again go look at it, and get back to me about the importance of "stats" when deciding what QB's are "great", which one's are "good" and which ones are mediocre. There's alot of guys in the top 25-30 who'd I'd class as mediocre to good at best.
First of all, there are more stats than just QB rating. In all of the pure QB stats, Romo is better than Aikman. All of them.

Secondly, if you just want to look at QB rating let's go ahead. You apparently want to throw it out just because Shaun Hill is rated above Aikman. Shaun Hill doesn't have 1000 passing attempts, and I think 2000 attempts is generally used to qualify someone to be on the official QB ratings rankings list. I'm pretty sure it's 2000 because Rodgers just passed that mark and overtook Romo at the top of the list. It may be 1500. Whatever it is, Shaul Hill isn't there. So I'm throwing that anomaly out.

There's no doubt that the NFL is more of a passing era than it was in the 60s and 70s, so comparing any QB from that era by QB rating is going to be tough. It's more of a passing league now than it was in Aikman's era as well... but interestingly, there are still a handful of QBs from Aikman's era who are on the QB rating list ahead of Aikman. Young, Montana, Marino, Favre, Jim Kelly... 4 of the 5 are clearly better QBs (just simply speaking as QBs go, not by championships) than Aikman was. Kelly is arguable.

And, during Romo's era... where's it's an absolute level playing field, he's ahead of sure-fire HOFers Manning, Brady and Brees. So go ahead and tell me how QB Rating doesn't matter and Romo has thrown a couple of screen passes that were broken for 90 yard TDs which is why he's so high. Tell us again, so we can point and laugh.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you have a point or just padding post count?

Holla back when you find a quote saying Quincy is better than Roger.

Did you honestly think you'd ever see a quote by troy Aikman proclaiming himself "better than someone"

He was never that way.

TE's point was that Staubach and Aikman have shown a ton of loyalty and support for pretty much everyone the Cowboys put out there.

Reaction score
Completion percentage isn't the end all/be all when determining accuracy.

Ball placement is.

Aikman was uncanny in that respect.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is such bullshit. You're telling me, you, the great dbair, believe that Aikman is more accurate than Romo, despite Romo being clearly superior in career completion percentage, just based on what you saw with your own eyes? That's not proof at all. And you're going to say he protected the ball better than Romo, again despite what the statistics say -- that Romo threw less interceptions? Those are some effective blinders you got on there dbair... I dare say more effective than the ones you usually have on.

Again, accuracy is about more than "stats". Aikman was indeed more "accurate" when you watched how he constantly hit receivers in stride, constantly threw the ball on timing routes before guys broke and delivered it exactly where it was supposed to be. Aikman also threw the ball downfield alot more than what we see with teams today. As someone else pointed out, DB's made WR's jobs much more difficult than what they are today, because the rules were significantly different. QB's are also protected alot more than they were when Aikman played.

First of all, there are more stats than just QB rating. In all of the pure QB stats, Romo is better than Aikman. All of them.

Your still married to stats. I already showed why some of this is meaningless when determining what QB's are "better", especially when comparing QB's from different eras.

Secondly, if you just want to look at QB rating let's go ahead. You apparently want to throw it out just because Shaun Hill is rated above Aikman. Shaun Hill doesn't have 1000 passing attempts, and I think 2000 attempts is generally used to qualify someone to be on the official QB ratings rankings list. I'm pretty sure it's 2000 because Rodgers just passed that mark and overtook Romo at the top of the list. It may be 1500. Whatever it is, Shaul Hill isn't there. So I'm throwing that anomaly out.

He's on the list, as are others who arnt guys anyone would consider realyl good or great.

There's no doubt that the NFL is more of a passing era than it was in the 60s and 70s, so comparing any QB from that era by QB rating is going to be tough. It's more of a passing league now than it was in Aikman's era as well... but interestingly, there are still a handful of QBs from Aikman's era who are on the QB rating list ahead of Aikman. Young, Montana, Marino, Favre, Jim Kelly... 4 of the 5 are clearly better QBs (just simply speaking as QBs go, not by championships) than Aikman was. Kelly is arguable.

Better "stats" doesnt mean better player.

And, during Romo's era... where's it's an absolute level playing field, he's ahead of sure-fire HOFers Manning, Brady and Brees. So go ahead and tell me how QB Rating doesn't matter and Romo has thrown a couple of screen passes that were broken for 90 yard TDs which is why he's so high. Tell us again, so we can point and laugh.

Thanks for making my point for me.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If Garrett never coached another game, he'd be remembered for icing his own kicker.

Great coach.

Pretty sure you can find all sorts of gaffes by great or good coaches over the length of their careers.

Joe Gibbs lost a game for the Redskins a few years back for not knowing a rule about calling back to back timeouts. HOF coach, made a dumb decision. It happens.

And Garrett didnt call TO to "ice the kicker", he called it because his own assistants were telling him to.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
TE's point was that Staubach and Aikman have shown a ton of loyalty and support for pretty much everyone the Cowboys put out there.
Yup. And that just because you were a former great QB here, it doesn't mean your scouting reports are gold. (Though in this case Troy was just being modest.)

And to those claiming stats prove Romo is better... You aren't accounting for the huge change in passing rules and rules enforcement. Late Tags and Goodell's engineered higher offensive totals plan has been a huge success. Why do you think so many passing records have fallen since that game when the Patriots manhandled Manning's receivers all game in 2004 or whatever it was? Are so many QBs from Brady to Cam Newton really just that much better than all who came before them for decades? Nope. The game is different. You can argue whether it's better or not, but it is different.

Cythim

Reaction score
Comparing stats is beyond ridiculous for this discussion. Romo is ahead of Young and Montana in completion percent and passer rating but I do not think anyone would call him a better QB than those two. Danny White has a better passer rating than Aikman, does that make him a better QB as well? Passer rating alone is a terrible stat and should be erased from the stat books. Leave stats out of the discussion, this isn't about who is a better fantasy QB.

Reaction score
Comparing stats is beyond ridiculous for this discussion. Romo is ahead of Young and Montana in completion percent and passer rating but I do not think anyone would call him a better QB than those two. Danny White has a better passer rating than Aikman, does that make him a better QB as well? Passer rating alone is a terrible stat and should be erased from the stat books. Leave stats out of the discussion, this isn't about who is a better fantasy QB.
lol

Leave stats out of the discussion. Let's trust the memories of the AARP members and people who were 5 years old when Aikman was winning Super Bowls.

Top Bottom