lons

UDFA
Reaction score
That's not what I was asking. I was just wondering if he could be cross-examined if he did take the stand.

It just seemed like your post indicated that he couldn't.

No, if he takes the stand he can. But the prosecution played all the tapes of him giving his side of the story to the police. Unless there is something to add to that which CANNOT be cross examined, because it is a tape, then no. He should not take the stand under any circumstance, period.

This has gone his way, if he takes the stand they can make him look anyway they want to. They cannot however make the tapes lie or cross examine them. The State, by playing the interview tapes, basically let Zimmerman testify without having the ability to cross examine him. They are idiots.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
No, if he takes the stand he can. But the prosecution played all the tapes of him giving his side of the story to the police. Unless there is something to add to that which CANNOT be cross examined, because it is a tape, then no. He should not take the stand under any circumstance, period.

This has gone his way, if he takes the stand they can make him look anyway they want to. They cannot however make the tapes lie or cross examine them. The State, by playing the interview tapes, basically let Zimmerman testify without having the ability to cross examine him. They are idiots.

He doesn't have to take the stand does it if they hadn't played the tapes, correct?

They can't force him to the stand can they?

iceberg

In the Rotation
Reaction score
(CNN) -- When the jury emerges from deliberations days or weeks from now to render its verdict in that Florida courtroom, when the family of Trayvon Martin leans forward in breathless anticipation and when George Zimmerman stands to hear his fate, you can bet your Disney vacation the whole affair will end badly.

Not because Zimmerman, on trial in the shooting death of Martin, will be found guilty or not guilty, but because millions of Americans have already made up their minds about what should happen. Large swaths of people are going to be disappointed no matter how the verdict falls. Probably more like outraged.

This is odd, because FBI statistics show there are about 13,000 murders annually; people shot, stabbed, beaten, run down with cars and thrown off of balconies; 13,000 times that we could get interested, get involved and pass public judgment.
So what is it about this lone killing that has inflamed passions to such a degree?
----

is the problem this case, or the system?

given the vast majority who get upset over day to day details are clueless on thousands of other crimes....

the system.

we argue when opportunity arises. not justice.

justice never had a chance here.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
He doesn't have to take the stand does it if they hadn't played the tapes, correct?

They can't force him to the stand can they?

Nope, you never have to take the stand, BUT!! Had the prosecution not played the tapes, he probably would have had to. He might still, but there really is no need, the jury got to see him saying his story and there can be no cross examination of a video. It was perfect for the defense and idiotic for the prosecution to play them unless he was confessing to a crime or saying something that they had / have proven to be false, neither were accomplished in my opinion and thus playing them hurt them... a lot.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Nope, you never have to take the stand, BUT!! Had the prosecution not played the tapes, he probably would have had to. He might still, but there really is no need, the jury got to see him saying his story and there can be no cross examination of a video. It was perfect for the defense and idiotic for the prosecution to play them unless he was confessing to a crime or saying something that they had / have proven to be false, neither were accomplished in my opinion and thus playing them hurt them... a lot.

Hmmm. Interesting.

What if he chose not to and the defense played solely the reenactment tapes? Wouldn't that be a better position for them?

He doesn't take the stand and the defense plays only the tapes that present his case in the best light. Or do they have to play them all as a package deal?

MetalHead

In the Rotation
Reaction score
(CNN) -- When the jury emerges from deliberations days or weeks from now to render its verdict in that Florida courtroom, when the family of Trayvon Martin leans forward in breathless anticipation and when George Zimmerman stands to hear his fate, you can bet your Disney vacation the whole affair will end badly.

Not because Zimmerman, on trial in the shooting death of Martin, will be found guilty or not guilty, but because millions of Americans have already made up their minds about what should happen. Large swaths of people are going to be disappointed no matter how the verdict falls. Probably more like outraged.

This is odd, because FBI statistics show there are about 13,000 murders annually; people shot, stabbed, beaten, run down with cars and thrown off of balconies; 13,000 times that we could get interested, get involved and pass public judgment.
So what is it about this lone killing that has inflamed passions to such a degree?
----

is the problem this case, or the system?

given the vast majority who get upset over day to day details are clueless on thousands of other crimes....

the system.

we argue when opportunity arises. not justice.

justice never had a chance here.

"If I had a son,he would look like Trayvon..."
Look what they did.
The black panther party issued a bounty on an American citizen(a felony),nothing happens.
Numerous death threats are issued on Zimmerman on every single social media venue,nothing is done.
His SSN is "accidentally" aired on CNN,and even some celebrity idiots post the Zimmerman's address online,again,no one cares.
There is a white kid in TX who posted a joke on FB about killing children,and he's sitting in jail,beaten and in solitary confinement,yet all the actions I listed are ignored.
Wake the hell up already,because it happened to Zimmerman,it can happen to you and me too.
This is not about justice.

Last edited:

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Hmmm. Interesting.

What if he chose not to and the defense played solely the reenactment tapes? Wouldn't that be a better position for them?

He doesn't take the stand and the defense plays only the tapes that present his case in the best light. Or do they have to play them all as a package deal?

The Defense would not have played the tapes and tried to steer the defense to supposition instead. You want to try and NOT have the guy speak at all if you can get away with it. Think OJ trial, the prosecution made a huge mistake in letting OJ try the gloves on. The image spoke louder than had the defense tried it, because the prosecution did it and it came back on them. If the prosecution wants to put into evidence something that you can say, "Hey, we didn't have anything to do with that" at the end it is 100x more powerful than had you entered it yourself.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The Defense would not have played the tapes and tried to steer the defense to supposition instead. You want to try and NOT have the guy speak at all if you can get away with it. Think OJ trial, the prosecution made a huge mistake in letting OJ try the gloves on. The image spoke louder than had the defense tried it, because the prosecution did it and it came back on them. If the prosecution wants to put into evidence something that you can say, "Hey, we didn't have anything to do with that" at the end it is 100x more powerful than had you entered it yourself.

Well then he wouldn't have had to take the stand, right?

You said the prosecution was stupid for allowing the tapes and had they not played them then George has to take the stand.

Had they not played them, couldn't the defense have just played the tapes of their choosing and kept GZ off the stand.

It doesn't seem like the prosecution had much of an option. There's no way to guarantee that he takes the stand. If they play the tapes, at least they can ensure that all tapes are played and they can point out the inconsistencies. GZ doesn't take the stand and can't be cross examined.

If they don't play the tapes, the defense could play the reenactment video and keep GZ off the stand which would present no discrepancies in the account and the prosecution still doesn't have the chance to cross examine GZ.

I don't see how there's anyway that GZ could both be off the stand and no tapes played.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Well then he wouldn't have had to take the stand, right?

You said the prosecution was stupid for allowing the tapes and had they not played them then George has to take the stand.

Had they not played them, couldn't the defense have just played the tapes of their choosing and kept GZ off the stand.

It doesn't seem like the prosecution had much of an option. There's no way to guarantee that he takes the stand. If they play the tapes, at least they can ensure that all tapes are played and they can point out the inconsistencies. GZ doesn't take the stand and can't be cross examined.

If they don't play the tapes, the defense could play the reenactment video and keep GZ off the stand which would present no discrepancies in the account and the prosecution still doesn't have the chance to cross examine GZ.

I don't see how there's anyway that GZ could both be off the stand and no tapes played.

Chances are pretty high that he would have wanted to take the stand if things were going really badly so that he could try and earn some sympathy. Since the Prosecution has been very ineffective to the point that I am wondering if they think they just needed to show up to get the verdict due to the public. The defense would not have used the tapes for anything else, but to rebutte what the prosecution had said.

When you defend, you don't want to bring forth new evidence as that gives the prosecution time to effect a change in their prosecution. So I doubt the defense had any plans for the tapes to go in, but had started mulling around the idea of him testifying at this stage, had it gone bad.

It didn't so no need to bring up things not in evidence.

Reaction score
I'd be more scared for my lie being followed on my way home in the dark in the rain by a man with a gun calling me an asshole than by being punched by a 158 lb. kid

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
I'd be more scared for my lie being followed on my way home in the dark in the rain by a man with a gun calling me an asshole than by being punched by a 158 lb. kid

How did Martin know that Zimmerman had a gun and had called him an asshole over the phone?

Or is this just some lame troll attempt? If so, carry on.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
'Please don't riot'.
How can we treat people as equals, when there are glaring inequalities in civil expectations?

BROWARD COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE PREPARES ZIMMERMAN VERDICT RIOT PLAN

On Monday, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office released a video calling on the public not to riot in the wake of the George Zimmerman verdict, expected this week or next in Florida. The Sheriff’s Office released a statement explaining that it was “working closely with the Sanford Police Department and other local law enforcement agencies” to coordinate “a response plan in anticipation of the verdict.”

The video, titled “Raise Your Voice, Not Your Hands,” focuses on attempting to channel reaction into non-violent response. It depicts two youngsters, one black teenage boy, one Hispanic teenage girl. “Raise your voice!” says the girl. “And not your hands!” says the boy. “We need to stand together as one, no cuffs, no guns,” says the girl. “Let’s give violence a rest, because we can easily end up arrested,” says the boy. “I know your patience will be tested,” says the girl, and then both conclude, “but law enforcement has your back!”

Link

iceberg

In the Rotation
Reaction score
you can't follow someone for a minute w/o it being wrong.

but you can damn sure tear shit up if you don't get your way.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
How did Martin know that Zimmerman had a gun and had called him an asshole over the phone?

Or is this just some lame troll attempt? If so, carry on.

Well... you know. He would look like Barry's kid. It must be true.

Reaction score
you can't follow someone for a minute w/o it being wrong.

but you can damn sure tear shit up if you don't get your way.
I love how you guys can so easily place yourself in George's shoes, but absolutely refuse to put yourself in Trayvon's (the dead kid) shoes.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
I love how you guys can so easily place yourself in George's shoes, but absolutely refuse to put yourself in Trayvon's (the dead kid) shoes.

Just curious. Why do you add - (the dead kid) - Do you think there is anybody that can't make the distinction between the two people? Or is it done just for the shock value?

Reaction score
Cuz I do what I want.

Actually, I think it's important to point it out... because there is clearly a race element with most posters in this thread. All things being the same, there's no doubt in my mind if Trayvon were white, most of you would be flipped in your positions.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score

Interesting. Pretty sure that works both ways. I am not sure why you have aligned yourself with a thug that beats random people, steals, does drugs etc.

I know you gut tells you Zimmerman is a liar but the evidence so far has not backed up your feeling.

Your assertion that we are a bunch of racists is plain offensive. I am sorry you view everything through the prism of race. Remember who made this a race issue. The media.

I view this incident as a kid, that for whatever reason, continually searched for trouble. He finally ran into someone that would not back down. I do not care what color he was and neither do most people on this forum.

Last edited:

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
Oh, so shock value then. And the white people in this thread are racist against blacks, but not hispanics?

How convenient.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Oh, so shock value then. And the white people in this thread are racist against blacks, but not hispanics?

How convenient.

Don't forget the Jews. We allegedly hate Jews also, but Zimmerman is half Jewish. Maybe all the Trayvon backers are anti-Semites. Maybe pep hates Jews and Hispanics. Seems plausible.

Top Bottom