sbk92

Reaction score
Posted by nickeatman at 3/28/2011 3:04 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

When you’re talking about Jerry Jones, the terms drafting and trading usually go together. It’s just the wheeling and dealing mentality that he has. When draft day hits, nobody works those phones like he seems to do.

Lately, we’ve been talking a lot about the potential of the Cowboys trading down from that No. 9 pick and getting another second-round pick, or maybe a third or fourth as well. And why wouldn’t we think that? That’s been something we’ve seen Jerry do so many times.

But let’s not forget that when the Cowboys have a player they want in mind and it gets close to their pick, they’ve shown the ability to get up a few spots to secure him. They did it twice last year with Dez Bryant and then again in the second round with Sean Lee.

So under what scenario does that happen with the No. 9 pick? Obviously, a few spots here and there is much more expensive when you’re talking about a Top-10 pick. To get from 9 to 7 you might have to give up a second or at least a third.

But it might be worth it because you know the Cowboys would then start trading even more to stockpile some extra picks.

More importantly – who would you trade it for? Since I really think the Cowboys are just on the outside of the elite level of players, and one of them dipped down to seven or eight, I’d at least consider it.

I recently participated in a radio mock draft where beat writers from each team were asked to pick a player. I ended up taking Tyron Smith from USC. But I saw where Nick Fairley went eighth to the Titans and Patrick Peterson was picked seventh.

Hmm, if that happens, I think I might try to get up into those two spots. If six picks are gone and Fairley and Peterson are both available, yeah I think I get in there to take one of those two.

I know cornerback and defensive end/tackle aren’t your more pressing needs, but to me you’re talking about two catalytic players that have somewhat dominated in the best conference in college football. And because Jerry has the ability to garner extra picks in later rounds, I think getting up a spot or two would be worth it.

Just something to think about.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Actually there's been a rumor floating around about Dallas moving up in a swap with Cleveland to get Peterson.

sbk92

Reaction score
Actually there's been a rumor floating around about Dallas moving up in a swap with Cleveland to get Peterson.

Wouldn't surprise me.

IMO, if Peterson gets to 6, we'll be working the phones.

And I will hate every second of it.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me.

IMO, if Peterson gets to 6, we'll be working the phones.

And I will hate every second of it.

Draft chatter thread would be epic.

I'll uncensor the F word for that.

sbk92

Reaction score
Okay, we draft Peterson.

And....?

How does it make you better? This team can't block or get off blocks. So we just drafted Patrick Peterson.

Ayiee.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Does this fourm have a chatroom? you know, like that other place...the one where sdogo downs kool-aid shots.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Does this fourm have a chatroom? you know, like that other place...the one where sdogo downs kool-aid shots.

I've thought about adding one, thing is, the guy that wanted it badly left the forum. I put it on the back burner because nobody was asking me to install one.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Okay, we draft Peterson.

And....?

How does it make you better? This team can't block or get off blocks. So we just drafted Patrick Peterson.

Ayiee.

If he's drafted as a safety, I'd be on board.

I'm effing tired of the shat we're trotting out there at safety.

sbk92

Reaction score

I saw an interview with him at the combine where he said he wanted to play cornerback first and then maybe down the line switch to safety.

There are two things wrong with that. One, he wants to play a position I have no respect for in terms of impact to a football team. Two, he's trying to tell coaches where he's gonna play.

Don't want him. Not at 9. Not at 19. Not at 29.

Give me the franchise LT. Now that's a guy who can impact this football team.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
He better be Deion Sanders or Ed Reed to be worth that pick.

That's what I was thinking about at safety.

If it's Peterson or a franchise LT, boom, sign me up for the big ugly. We're hurting badly there. If Peterson isn't playing safety from the word go, I'd pass.

I don't hate the position as much as you do, but we're good at corner, even if Newman went down, Scandrick came on late. Scandrick could fill in and do the job.

sbk92

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking about at safety.

If it's Peterson or a franchise LT, boom, sign me up for the big ugly. We're hurting badly there. If Peterson isn't playing safety from the word go, I'd pass.

I don't hate the position as much as you do, but we're good at corner, even if Newman went down, Scandrick came on late. Scandrick could fill in and do the job.

lol I don't hate the position. I just think it's a position where you are set up to fail. Especially with the rules so slanted to the offense.

The only way to cover is to make the QB as uncomfortable as possible.

Terence Newman was a top 5 pick. Carried a consensus blue chip elite grade into his draft. He played here most of his career without a front seven and teams have played pitch and catch on him on a regular basis. I think the same happens with Peterson if we continue to make life easy on opposing QBs.

I'd rather draft an impact guy at the top of the draft. Not a guy who needs others to impact his play.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Sorry Sheik, but there is better value for a safety in the 2nd - 3rd rounds. We need Tyron Smith. Period.

Reaction score
I like Peterson, but I also loved the Roy Williams and Terrence Newman picks. And like sbk says, if you don't have a strong front 7, then you don't get much of a return on those investments.

Don't get me wrong. Roy was dominant... for two years. And we've gotten 8 good years out of Newman - hard to complain about that.

But neither player helped us win anything.

Would Peterson?

When I think of Peterson, I think he could have a Charles Woodson like impact in our defense. I get especially excited thinking about what Rob Ryan could do with his skill sets.

----

But then I also think that it's more of a luxury pick. We need to address our offensive line in the worst way. I'm on board with drafting Smith, but I've been turned off slightly after reading it might take him a couple years to adjust to the pro game.

That is why I'm more in favor of trading down slightly, accumulating additional picks, and getting a more NFL ready lineman like Carimi or Pouncey.

In a nutshell, I think I'd prefer to sign a guy like Huff, stick with Jenkins, Scandrick, Newman, and Sensabaugh, and dedicate the draft to strengthening both sides of the line.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I like Peterson, but I also loved the Roy Williams and Terrence Newman picks. And like sbk says, if you don't have a strong front 7, then you don't get much of a return on those investments.

Don't get me wrong. Roy was dominant... for two years. And we've gotten 8 good years out of Newman - hard to complain about that.

But neither player helped us win anything.

Would Peterson?

When I think of Peterson, I think he could have a Charles Woodson like impact in our defense. I get especially excited thinking about what Rob Ryan could do with his skill sets.

----

But then I also think that it's more of a luxury pick. We need to address our offensive line in the worst way. I'm on board with drafting Smith, but I've been turned off slightly after reading it might take him a couple years to adjust to the pro game.

That is why I'm more in favor of trading down slightly, accumulating additional picks, and getting a more NFL ready lineman like Carimi or Pouncey.

In a nutshell, I think I'd prefer to sign a guy like Huff, stick with Jenkins, Scandrick, Newman, and Sensabaugh, and dedicate the draft to strengthening both sides of the line.

Smith would be my first choice, and then Sherrod, followed by Carimi. We could trade down twice in the 1st round and still get Sherrod. Sherrod could step into LT on day 1. Carimi is projected as an RT. I would be fine with Free and Carimi, but I think Sherrod and Free would better, and Smith and Free better still. In my perfect world, I wouold want Smith, Cannon for LG, and Marcus Gilbert as an eventual replacement for Davis.

Top Bottom