Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Taking last Wednesday off worked out so well for Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, he was held out of practice again on Wednesday.

Superstitious?

“No, it’s probably a little deeper than that but you can write that if it helps,” Romo joked.

But he did not have a good answer as to why it was better to take Wednesday off to focus on work in the weight room rather than the practice field. Wednesday is the only full-padded practice and focuses a lot on the running game. Thursday and Friday practices deal mostly with situational work.

Romo felt the benefit from a weight room day last week against the St. Louis Rams. He completed 18 of 23 passes for 217 yards and two touchdowns. He was not sacked for the first time this season and he also had a key 16-yard run on a second-half scoring drive.

“I definitely felt better Sunday,” Romo said. “I think there are multiple reasons. I think I’m continuing to get stronger. I think everything firing, you know, activating things. I didn’t have quite the strength I wanted to explode off in the first couple of weeks. And last week I was able to during the week, due to some changes we made, and I think it’s going to only continue to get better. Last week I was pretty excited about the way I was moving and feeling. So, I think I’ll continue to feel better each week and playing your best football as you continue on.”

Romo and coach Jason Garrett would not commit to a Wednesday-off schedule for the rest of the season, but if he maintains strong play Sunday against the New Orleans Saints, why change?

“We’re not thinking about any future weeks right now,” Romo said. “It’s just about this week. This was talking to Coach Garrett and [passing game coordinator] Scott [Linehan] and coming up with a plan and seeing how we feel. Each week, we’ll talk about it.”

Top Bottom