Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
By the way Horton's pick six in the 2nd quarter brought the whole crowd to its feet. It was 70 yards or something, really cool.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Also I'm pretty sure if memory serves, we gave up a 90 yard kickoff return for a TD or some such shit, was the only reason the final score appeared close. Otherwise it was clear there were two classes of team down there.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
By the way Horton's pick six in the 2nd quarter brought the whole crowd to its feet. It was 70 yards or something, really cool.

[video]https://youtu.be/GiANB_KSLpI[/video]

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
At 1:25 of the video, that's the view I had. Listen to that crowd!

Ahh, memories.

Reaction score
Huh? Out of state football and basketball games have been broadcast since the 1950s. Those classic Notre Dame-Michigan Wolverine clashes didn't make me stop rooting for the Badgers.
NBA games were tape delayed as late as the early 1980s... and those were NBA FINALS games. There wasn't near the TV coverage there was starting around the late 80s - early 90s. ESPN wasn't in every household. You were at the mercy of who the big networks put on TV. It was a completely different time.

I'd have less animosity towards Tony is he'd just admit he's a frontrunner.
it's not front running. If he changed allegiance based on who was winning from year to year, then you could say that.

Giants or Jets, actually. And unlike Tony, my family was on the Dallas bandwagon when they were a lousy expansion team.
How can you have allegiance to Wisconsin/Yankees/Cowboys, if your little theory that you root for local teams was really what you believed?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
NBA games were tape delayed as late as the early 1980s... and those were NBA FINALS games. There wasn't near the TV coverage there was starting around the late 80s - early 90s. ESPN wasn't in every household. You were at the mercy of who the big networks put on TV. It was a completely different time.

You always had the GOTW (featuring glamorous programs) and the fact that the local teams were always broadcast. Nor did you need ESPN to know that there were better teams out there than Wisconsin or Marquette. You see, there are these things called "standings." You could find them in the newspaper back in the day. And since Duke has consistently been good/competitive, I won't pat Romo on the back for not abandoning them.

it's not front running. If he changed allegiance based on who was winning from year to year, then you could say that.

Did you watch the video? He said "In the Laettner years ... Duke was winning, and I just took a liking to the fact that they were winning (laughter)."

How can you have allegiance to Wisconsin/Yankees/Cowboys, if your little theory that you root for local teams was really what you believed?

Because unlike Tony, I have geographic or familial reasons for rooting for certain teams. During my early years in NJ (1967-73), and most of my adolescence in Wisconsin (say the entire 1980s), the Yanks were total shit. I didn't defect to the Mets when the going got tough.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
:lol Love how Horton had to physically pull Brown behind him, like "Hey dumbass, there's no one in front of me. Get back behind me where you might actually block someone trying to catch me."

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
:lol Love how Horton had to physically pull Brown behind him, like "Hey dumbass, there's no one in front of me. Get back behind me where you might actually block someone trying to catch me."

Reminds me of when a Viking defender tried to push Drew Pearson into Dorsett's path on his 99-yard run.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Love how Horton had to physically pull Brown behind him, like "Hey dumbass, there's no one in front of me. Get back behind me where you might actually block someone trying to catch me."
LOL

That was a really entertaining game to be a Dallas fan at. Emmitt bludgeoned them, 30-plus carries for 120 yards or some such, and Troy had over 250 passing yards.

Reaction score
You always had the GOTW (featuring glamorous programs) and the fact that the local teams were always broadcast. Nor did you need ESPN to know that there were better teams out there than Wisconsin or Marquette. You see, there are these things called "standings." You could find them in the newspaper back in the day.
It strains credulity to think that one can become a hardcore fan by reading a box score in the newspaper. Come on, you're not really arguing that there was just as much access to teams nationwide in the 60s and 70s as there were in the 90s and present day... You're just trolling right?

In the 80s you couldn't see early round games of the tournament. In the 90s and 00s you had to hope your team was on CBA in the tournament. 2010 was the first year every game was broadcast for most cable subscribers on CBS, TNT, TBS and truTV.

And since Duke has consistently been good/competitive, I won't pat Romo on the back for not abandoning them.
They've had up and down years. I didn't see him rooting for UConn after Duke lost to Mercer in the first round last year. That would be true front running.

Did you watch the video? He said "In the Laettner years ... Duke was winning, and I just took a liking to the fact that they were winning (laughter)."
Which isn't unusual for a kid at 11 or 12 years old, and isn't front running if you stick with them.

Because unlike Tony, I have geographic or familial reasons for rooting for certain teams. During my early years in NJ (1967-73), and most of my adolescence in Wisconsin (say the entire 1980s), the Yanks were total shit. I didn't defect to the Mets when the going got tough.
Familial reasons wasn't part of your statement... it was all locality. So I guess you'll turn in your Cowboys fan card now. And interesting how you weren't a Mets fan growing up, but were a Yankees fan... they were both "local" to NJ. What did you do, just latch on to the winning team? Good for you for not switching over to the Mets in the 80s, but you're taking issue with how Romo began being a fan. I'm the one saying as long as you don't defect during the lean years, then you can't be considered a front runner.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Familial reasons wasn't part of your statement... it was all locality.
but my family lived in Irving, TX and Plano in the early 1960s. Dad used to take my older brothers to games at the Cotton Bowl. Although I was born in NJ in 1967, the Cowboys were "handed down" to me by my bros like a pair of old blue jeans.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
It strains credulity to think that one can become a hardcore fan by reading a box score in the newspaper. Come on, you're not really arguing that there was just as much access to teams nationwide in the 60s and 70s as there were in the 90s and present day... You're just trolling right?

In the 80s you couldn't see early round games of the tournament. In the 90s and 00s you had to hope your team was on CBA in the tournament. 2010 was the first year every game was broadcast for most cable subscribers on CBS, TNT, TBS and truTV.

Before the Laettner game, Duke had been to the Final Four five of the previous six seasons. You don't think they were ever on national TV or on magazine covers during those years? Duke wasn't some plucky little underdog that flew under the radar. They were a national powerhouse, and that's why Tony fell under their spell.

They've had up and down years. I didn't see him rooting for UConn after Duke lost to Mercer in the first round last year. That would be true front running.

Please. They go deep into the tournament seemingly ever year. They reload, not rebuild.

Part of being a fan is living through the lean years. Romo said "fuck that shit" and went with a sexier team.

Which isn't unusual for a kid at 11 or 12 years old, and isn't front running if you stick with them.

Age is an excuse for frontrunning? How come other kids his age remained loyal to the in-state teams?

Familial reasons wasn't part of your statement... it was all locality.

Yes, where my family lived is my "get out of jail free" card.

So I guess you'll turn in your Cowboys fan card now.

Hos too. He never lived in Texas.

And interesting how you weren't a Mets fan growing up, but were a Yankees fan... they were both "local" to NJ. What did you do, just latch on to the winning team?

My mother was born in the Bronx.

Good for you for not switching over to the Mets in the 80s, but you're taking issue with how Romo began being a fan. I'm the one saying as long as you don't defect during the lean years, then you can't be considered a front runner.

There's a good chance we would have become Yankee fans even without my mom's Bronx connections, because Northern NJ is rife with pinstripe fanatics. Conversely, Romo has no familial or geographic connections to Duke. He just wanted to follow a winner.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
To me, when I was a kid, if you saw a kid wearing a Green Bay Packers Starter jacket or a Houston Astros baseball cap it most likely meant they were from there. Now, people have access to so much more.

A buddy of mine is younger than me and closer to Romo's age. Here are the teams he roots for:

NFL - San Francisco 49ers
NBA- Chicago Bulls
NCAA Football - Florida Gators
NCAA Basketball - Arizona Wildcats

Basically, teams that were really good when he was young. Used to think he was weird but now I realize that's more the norm now.

I root for all Los Angeles teams, with the exception of the Cowboys. When I was a kid, the Rams were in Anaheim, the Raiders were still in Oakland, and the Cowboys came to So Cal every year for Training Camp.

I don't think you have to be a fan during the lean years to be a true fan. I don't think you have to root for the team where you're from either. I do think you just have to stick with one team.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
one more thing: don't wear the gear of a school unless you attended that school. me jogging around DC in a "Harvard Law" t-shirt is false advertising.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
one more thing: don't wear the gear of a school unless you attended that school. me jogging around DC in a "Harvard Law" t-shirt is false advertising.

What's it called when you are jogging around in a "One Direction" t-shirt?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
What's "One Direction"?

~kisses glossy photo of Harry~

Top Bottom