sbk92

Reaction score
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 12, 2010 1:54 PM ET

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones thinks the NFL should a shorten the preseason and lengthen the regular season.

Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, however, has a different perspective.

"It's really invaluable," Romo says of the preseason. "It's where you grow as a player; you learn what your weaknesses and strengths are. You can use those as a tool to get better."

Romo's perspective is an important one to consider. Romo signed with the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent in 2003, and he didn't throw a pass in a regular-season game until 2006. The experience Romo got through four years of preseasons was a big part of what allowed him to eventually become a star, and if the preseason is cut in half, players like him will have fewer opportunities.

And even now that he's a proven veteran, Romo says that in the preseason, "I'm always up for playing a lot." That's not a viewpoint we usually hear from NFL veterans about preseason games. But it's a viewpoint worth considering as the league moves toward cutting the preseason short.

sbk92

Reaction score
This is another case where a guy who doesn't know football, Jerry, proves it here by not understanding the purpose of preseason.

Whereas Romo does know the game and sees this terrible idea for what it is.

Do not shorten the preseason to appease the fans. F them. We've already pissed on the draft for those window lickers. Teams need those game to develop and evaluate young talent.

C

Cr122

The preseason is very important.

If we just jumped into the regular season without hardly any preseason prep, teams would look like a bunch kids playing in their backyards.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is another case where a guy who doesn't know football, Jerry, proves it here by not understanding the purpose of preseason.

Whereas Romo does know the game and sees this terrible idea for what it is.

Do not shorten the preseason to appease the fans. F them. We've already pissed on the draft for those window lickers. Teams need those game to develop and evaluate young talent.

But you of course a messageboard poster thinks that you know football. Newsflash. I imagine that there are alot of owners, GMs, HCs and coaches that also feel the same and also alot that feel the opposite. Jerry's not talking abotu doing awya with preseasong in it's entirity. This idea of shrtening the preseason and lengthening the regular season has been talked about for a long time.

C

Cr122

But you of course a messageboard poster thinks that you know football. Newsflash. I imagine that there are alot of owners, GMs, HCs and coaches that also feel the same and also alot that feel the opposite. Jerry's not talking abotu doing awya with preseasong in it's entirity. This idea of shrtening the preseason and lengthening the regular season has been talked about for a long time.

Us as fans, don't mind to see more regular season games, but a lot of players are not for it because it could lead to shorter playing careers.

I believe Ray Lewis talked about this on NFL Network a few months back.

sbk92

Reaction score
I absolutely know more football than Jerry Jones.

Not a doubt in my mind about it. No way would I have given you the draft classes of 94-02. A f'n retarded monkey could have selected better.

sbk92

Reaction score
Us as fans, don't mind to see more regular season games, but a lot of players are not for it because it could lead to shorter playing careers.

I believe Ray Lewis talked about this on NFL Network a few months back.

I don't want to see an 18 game schedule. Especially if it means shortening the preseason.

I know I'm right on this after hearing Jerry's for it. If you're on the other end of that guy on a football debate, congrats....you're right.

C

Cr122

I wouldn't mind it, but I am not totally for it just because of more injury and shorter careers.

I'd rather see more of the player in his career instead of less of him due to more games being played and his body can't deal with it.

We aren't talking about college here. We can't just throw another guy in a game and say there you go.

sbk92

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind it, but I am not totally for it just because of more injury and shorter careers.

I'd rather see more of the player in his career instead of less of him due to more games being played and his body can't deal with it.

We aren't talking about college here. We can't just throw another guy in a game and say there you go.

Well, they'll expand the rosters and act like that's a solution.

All that does is further weaken the overall quality of play. Something that's taken a severe hit with the salary cap and free agency.

Reaction score
Well, they'll expand the rosters and act like that's a solution.

All that does is further weaken the overall quality of play. Something that's taken a severe hit with the salary cap and free agency.

You can include expansion as well.

Top Bottom