Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Looking at this QB situation has got me thinking. We all know that no matter how good our offense is that our defense will be the side of the ball that keeps us from making it to a future Super Bowl

So if you were the GM (yes Jerry is finally dead and baby Jerry decided to high a new GM) what would you do player personnel wise to get us a To the Super Bowl in the near future? We can all assume we would first replace Garrett so we don't need to discuss that aspect. So let's just look at players to build the team.

I believe we have the offense to win a Super Bowl right now. They aren't ready yet but the key pieces are in place for the most part. Sure a few tweaks need to be made here and there but for the most part I'm happy with the offense. So my focus would be on defense.

My plan would take two years before we would be a real contender. That would give both Dak and Zeke time to mature and really grow into this offense

So my first order of business is to shop Romo for picks and a defensive player. My second order of business is to shop Dez.

Yes they are our two best players (from the past) but Romo is perennially injured, and now Dez has been as well. Both have had broken/fractured bones in two consecutive seasons.

As for Dez, at this point he's more of a distraction than a key part of the offense. His performance has dropped off, he is still juggling catches, he gets taken out of games more than he is having big games nowadays and he is worth a lot as trade bait. Some team will over pay for him because of his past performance and they will overlook his recent history. So I'm looking at Dez like he could be a Hershal Walker type trade. Meaning we can get a good number of picks for him.

So assuming we move both Romo and Dez and receive a number of picks for them both we "should" then be able to use those picks to build a winning defense. Clearing some money from both contracts will help us resign our O Line. We won't be able to resign all of them but it will at least help

We also need to get McFadden a few good runs on film this year to prove he still can run so we can trade him for whatever we can get as well

With our first two picks in the draft we need to get the best defensive players available. We need the next Khalil Mack. We need to fix our pass rush! Forget Gregory, he's done and will most likely never play another down as a Cowboy. And even if he does he's proven we can't trust him. He needs to be replaced. With our third pick we need to look for a WR to replace Dez because we all know that T Willy can't step up and become a number one WR, nor can Butler.

Then in 2018 we do the same and focus on defensive players again.

Assuming we were able to keep our O Line together, then building a defense in 2 consecutive drafts, along with giving Dak and Zeke those two years to mature I can see us being a serious contender in 2018!

Last edited:

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
All you have to do is draft front seven on defense. Our O has Superbowl winning talent, and has for years now.

I'd be okay with trading Romo, but I don't know if he's even tradable with his contract.

I'd keep Dez despite his little headaches because there's going to be a time when we play really good defenses in the playoffs and a bunch of JAGs at WR won't get it done.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That's why I was saying we need to draft his replacement

We have no place on this team for both a $119 mil and $70 million dollar cheer leaders on this team

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Are we factoring in cap hits? If we are there is no way we can trade both Romo and Dez in the same year. I like where you're going just don't see it as a legit possibility. Keep in mind that keeping Dez also means that's one less pick we would have to spend on a WR. With that said I also resign Butler and even consider keeping Williams for the right price.

I do consider the Romo trade option too. There are plenty of teams that need a QB. A couple of those teams are close but only need a top notch QB. Jets being the main one. Miami is another option.

Regardless if they make any trades or not for picks I'm drafting heavy on the front 7. Not just DE's but LB's too. Hell if a stud DT fell to them I'd even be happy with that. I'm not counting on Gregory or Jaylon to ever play for the Cowboys. I would resign Mo too.

Top Bottom