C

Cr122

Three candidates remain in contention to return kicks for Cowboys

10:09 PM CDT on Sunday, August 29, 2010

By GERRY FRALEY / The Dallas Morning News
gfraley@dallasnews.com

IRVING * The Cowboys' competition for kickoff returner tightened during Saturday night's exhibition loss at Houston.

Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Bryan McCann and Kevin Ogletree each had two chances, and all did well. The Cowboys averaged 30.2 yards on six returns, a rare highlight in the 23-7 loss at Reliant Stadium.

"Our kickoff return looked pretty good," coach Wade Phillips said.

Owusu-Ansah had the first two chances and produced returns of 41 and 28 yards. He has had the most returns (6) but the lowest average (23.5 yards) of the three candidates. Ogletree has averaged 24 yards on four returns, and McCann has 26.7 yards on three returns.

The Cowboys ranked 20th in the league for kickoff returns last season with an average of 22 yards.

A 10-yard return against San Diego hurt Owusu-Ansah's average. He has averaged 26.2 yards on his other five returns.

"Last week wasn't the best week for me," Owusu-Ansah said. "This week, my main thing was to hold onto the ball and try to make a play."

Owusu-Ansah has also fielded two punts, returning one for three yards and using the fair catch on the other. McCann has been the most productive of the six punt returners, averaging 10.8 on five tries.

• • •

Reaction score
I like Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (AOA) the best for the PR duties.

He has a fearlessness about him and he has the best burst even though McCann has a pretty good one too.

C

Cr122

He has a fearlessness about him and he has the best burst even though McCann has a pretty good one too.

I wouldn't mind rotating all three at some point. But AOA would probably make the most sense because he won't be ready to play in the secondary this year anyways.

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind rotating all three at some point. But AOA would probably make the most sense because he won't be ready to play in the secondary this year anyways.

McCann won't likely make the team.

They're both CB's, and Gordon has the #4th spot locked up. AOA will likely move to safety (where he was drafted for, but has lately been playing corner).

Newman, Jenkins, Burnedrick, Gordon round out the top four.

Figure four safeties in Ball, Hamlin, Sensabaugh, and Church?

AOA as a tweener and return guy.

No room for McCann.

C

Cr122

McCann won't likely make the team.

They're both CB's, and Gordon has the #4th spot locked up. AOA will likely move to safety (where he was drafted for, but has lately been playing corner).

Newman, Jenkins, Burnedrick, Gordon round out the top four.

Figure four safeties in Ball, Hamlin, Sensabaugh, and Church?

AOA as a tweener and return guy.

No room for McCann.

There's a very good chance we could carry five corners, I wouldn't rule it out.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

AOA on both KR and PR. You can of have to hold your breathe because it's like he seems he is going to break it at any moment. Ogletree's fumble has me weary of him.

Reaction score
AOA on both KR and PR. You can of have to hold your breathe because it's like he seems he is going to break it at any moment. Ogletree's fumble has me weary of him.

I'm no expert ( actually yes I am :****** ) but I've seen enough of O-tree and he just doesn't look comfortable doing it.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm no expert ( actually yes I am :****** ) but I've seen enough of O-tree and he just doesn't look comfortable doing it.

And that's why I think they will keep McCanns or that they should. I for one am glad that we will not see anymore Crayton on PR unless due to an injury.

Top Bottom