bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Garrett has been changing this culture of the team for 3 years.

I've never understood this. Josh Brent: drunk driving and manslaughter. Jakar Hamilton: PEDs. Scandrick: recreational drugs. CJ Spiller: currently under investigation for sexual assault. Jerry and his son: cavorting with strippers and the target of a lawsuit. Dez blows up on the sideline and even leaves the field before the final whistle blows: no penalty or suspension. Claiborne leaves the team in a huff: no penalty or suspension. Orton: allegedly begs out of Dallas because of the dysfunctional power struggle on offense. And so on.

ROMOTODEZ

Spectator
Reaction score
The team seems more prepared than ever. I know he has said the same things for 3 yrs. it just seems like it is finally sinking in. As far as the off the field issues, I would think that goes on around the whole league, not just Dallas.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Right on bb.

Truth is, we've had more troubled players with more incidents the last few years than we ever did in the Parcells and Phillips years.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
The team seems more prepared than ever.

Like when we only had 10 men on the field when the Saints attempted that fake punt?

vlcsnap-2014-10-02-11h57m45s187.jpg

As far as the off the field issues, I would think that goes on around the whole league, not just Dallas.

So like 31 other teams, our "culture" is having little impact.

Reaction score
I've never understood this. Josh Brent: drunk driving and manslaughter. Jakar Hamilton: PEDs. Scandrick: recreational drugs. CJ Spiller: currently under investigation for sexual assault. Jerry and his son: cavorting with strippers and the target of a lawsuit. Dez blows up on the sideline and even leaves the field before the final whistle blows: no penalty or suspension. Claiborne leaves the team in a huff: no penalty or suspension. Orton: allegedly begs out of Dallas because of the dysfunctional power struggle on offense. And so on.

You have a point, but the counterargument probably would be that Garrett isn't necessarily focusing on bringing in choirboys (i.e., squeaky clean players who never get into trouble), but players who are serious about and/or are passionate about the game.

I'd think that Garrett would regard Michael Irvin as an RKG, despite Irvin's occasional but significant off-field issues. Don't you think Garrett would want a Michael Irvin (warts and all) on his team?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd think that Garrett would regard Michael Irvin as an RKG, despite Irvin's occasional but significant off-field issues. Don't you think Garrett would want a Michael Irvin (warts and all) on his team?

absolutely, which makes the whole "RKG" thing absurd. winning (and saving your job) trumps character. if "culture" were everything, we would have snapped the 8-8 curse years ago.

Reaction score
Apparently here's what Garrett means by RKG:

Garrett describes 'the right kind of guy' and says ego is part of it

March 26, 2012

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said he wants players with ego. But the right kind of ego.

“Ego in the context of what we’re trying to accomplish as a team,” he said Saturday at a high school football camp at Cowboys Stadium. He was asked by reporters to describe the kind of player he is looking for in free agency.

“We’re looking for the right kind of guy,” he said. “The right kind of guy, to us, is someone who loves to play football, who is very passionate about it, willing to work hard at it, willing to be part of a team, willing to be part of something that is maybe greater than himself.

“We want a guy who has an ego. Egos are important. But ego in the context of what we’re trying to accomplish as a team. Guys who are willing to work, are great teammates – there’s always going to be a place for those guys.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Read more here: Cowboys Corner: Garrett describes 'the right kind of guy' and says ego is part of it

This definition doesn't necessarily preclude guys like Josh Brent, Michael Irvin, Dez, Hamilton, Spiller or even Rafael Septien.

RKG doesn't mean "high moral character."

Certainly people can argue that they'd like for Garrett to enforce a higher "moral character" threshold, but Garrett's "RKG" term refers to something different from that.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
We want a guy who has an ego. Egos are important. But ego in the context of what we’re trying to accomplish as a team.

:lol

so he wants egotistical players who are "team oriented." good luck with that.

Reaction score
I don't see any inherent contradictions in what he's saying. But different people see things different ways, so it isn't a big deal to me.

For the record, though, I will say that I'm not a fan of Garrett. I think he was absolutely terrible when he had the dual head coach + offensive coordinator role. His sayings are tiresome. His press conferences are usually hopelessly boring and uninformative. He's been involved in some bad personnel decisions (e.g., cutting Gurode without having an adequate replacement, spending a #2 on Escobar, etc., etc.).

I don't think he's a dummy, though. And I think it is possible that he can be a good walk-around head coach so long as he has high quality assistants on both sides of the ball.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don't think he's a dummy, though.
Like alot of the Ivy leaguers, he is a educated idiot. Let's not forget he froze his own kicker.

By the way you can take any double speaking, deflecting and dodging, and outright lying presser speech of Obama and compare it almost word for word with any of Carrot Top's pressers and you'll see they use the same speech patterns, terminology and deflections. It's ingrained. They teach them to speak that way because it "sounds" thoughtful and intelligent. When in reality it's nothing more than word salad.

Reaction score
So RKG just means "good football player". Which renders it meaningless.

I think it means more than that. It seems to mean highly motivated, hard working, team oriented players who have a passion for the game. I think he's talking about a certain kind of attitude ... something besides physical talent or ability.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think it means more than that. It seems to mean highly motivated, hard working, team oriented players who have a passion for the game. I think he's talking about a certain kind of attitude ... something besides physical talent or ability.
The kind of guy who would not be out partying and drinking until 2am the night before a road game?

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score

I think the disconnect here is that some people are interested in what people shouldn't do as opposed to the team who is looking for what people are and can do. it also explains why people have trouble finding things to be happy about.

Top Bottom