Reaction score
Deepest draft in years they said and Jerry just made some strange moves.

I like the Zack Martin pick now. Can play anywhere on the line. But how is he really going to improve the running game, as Stephen Jones was explaining? First of all, the actual running game is not broken. Murray averaged 5.2 yards per carry and in heartbreaking losses to Green Bay and San Diego, his yards per carry were 5 ypc and 7.4ypc, perfect to just run the clock out with the lead. In fact, during the Denver game when the score was tied with 2:00 and the need was truly just to keep the ball away from Peyton while getting first down after first down, to set up the play action, or slowly-time consumingly use the clock to get to FG or overtime, Murray was averaging 3.6 yards per carry which is still theoretically enough for a first down on three carries.

The running game is fine, but when the game needs to slow, Jason refuses to call exclusive running plays. I can't believe Jerry tolerates that...especially since in any of those games, the running game would have most likely put Dallas in the playoffs .

Martin just strengthened the O-line to be what's going to be: a holding ground for extended pass plays. Don't give the garbage about running the ball. Truly if the run game was going to be improved, homerun speed would have been added and/or a starting workhorse to compete with Murray would have been added too.

Devin Street was just a worthless pick. He was the right kind of guy because he won't need coaching on how to run the Garrett route trees, and that is the extent of his value. He is not fast, quick, or anything special. He is Terrance Williams 2.0. Trading up for a WR who does not replace, supplant or improve the players Dallas has, makes no sense. He is not strong enough to get off the press and will not outrun anyone. But...he knows Jason's routes...

I can see the value of Hitchens. Can play anything LB and play well. There was no need to trade up for him. Panic.

The seventh round was sick. I saw an interview with Trent Dilfer who said that many of these drafts are about early round players who will never contribute as much as the late rounders will. Dixon and Gardner seem that way. Gardner is just a monster. I don't understand why he will slide in to DT at 262 but his long jump, vertical jump 39.5, and shuttle show that he is an explosive athlete and before he tore a muscle his senior year he was up for Lombardi and Nagurski awards.

Dustin Vaughn might be a little better than a UDFA. His throwing motion is less than quick but he can thread a 20 yard needle and throw the long ball very impressively.

A day later, I'm still disappointed that true speed and quickness was not added at RB and especially WR for an offense that needs deep speed to be effective. But Martin, Lawrence and Will Smith(Bad Boys), as well as Hitchens and especially Gardner, there are some strong players added.

Reaction score
Pretty sure he means Lawrence.

I don't think anyone sees value in the Hitchens pick, except of course Hostile.

Reaction score
I like the Martin pick the more I think about it... Leary and Bernadeau don't inspire a ton of confidence that they will be long term solutions, even though they played well last year. Leary is the more reliable of the two, but it may just be a matter of time with his knee issues.

I wanted Lawrence, so I'm glad we got him... We probably would have taken Hitchens at 3, so it's not the end of the world.

The rest of the draft was meh... Like Gardner and hope Dixon and Street pan out. The rest will probably be fodder.

11 picks and 4, maybe 5, contributors? Meh. But at least it's probably not an 09 draft.

Reaction score
If anything I like the Martin pick because it hints to a philosophy shift within the organization. Wasn't it zero first round olineman in Jerry's first 20 years owning the team, now three out of the last four years we've taken one.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Gardner was a very solid pick. He won't ever get us a lot of sacks, but he'll set the edge for years. Could be a Anthony Spencer, pre 2011. Not bad for a 7th round pick.

He lined up a lot at DT in the ASU game.

Maybe they see a little of Jay Ratliff in him.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I really like DeMarcus Lawrence, but he sure had his hands full against Joel Bitonio who may have to move inside to OG in the NFL.

Most of Lawrence's success right now is coming against the RT of Nevada.

Top Bottom