superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Christians will be “forced underground.”
– Pastor Jim Garlow

Legalizing gay marriage will spell "the death of capitalism."
– Matthew Hagee

If the Supreme Court rules in favor of gay marriage it "will have lost its legitimacy in its entirety."
– Matt Barber & Mat Staver

Marching against same-sex marriage felt like being involved in the “Civil Rights Movement.”
– Brian Brown

Gays and lesbians “hate God’s law and therefore they do hate God.”
– Peter LaBarbera

If the above statements from members of the conservative evangelical Christian commentariat sound ludicrous yet chilling, outlandish yet eerily familiar, that is because over the years we have become quite familiar with their incessant anti-gay vitriol. However, the more interesting aspect of this collection of off-the-wall commentary by Pastor Jim Garlow, Matthew Hagee, Liberty Counsel’s Matt Barber and Mat Staver, who is also vice president of the Jerry Falwell-founded Liberty University, the National Organization for Marriage’s president Brian Brown, and Peter LaBarbera of Americans For Truth About Homosexuality, is their fear that the tide of public opinion has turned against them.

As People for the American Way’s Right Wing Watch reported, Garlow told Christian radio talk show host Janet Mefferd that gay people really don’t want to get married, but rather they are determined to “destroy marriage” and “force us to affirm an immoral behavior”: “If same-sex so-called marriage is established as the law of the land, many of the people who are listening to my voice right now, not maybe immediately but at some point in the future, if they are followers of Christ, will be forced underground. Their buildings will be taken away from them, many of their rights will be taken away from them.”

Matthew Hagee, the son of pastor John Hagee, he of the multi-million dollar San Antonio, Texas-based media ministry, warned on “Hagee’s Hotline” that, "The only relationship in natural law that can produce consumers is the relationship between a man and a woman. When you create a society that does not recognize this relationship as the foundation of its existence and you cease to produce what is required to sustain your economy, you will not survive."

On their "Faith and Freedom" radio show, Liberty Counsel’s Matt Barber and Mat Staver declared that any Supreme Court decision other than one that quashes marriage equality "will be the nail in the coffin of the credibility of the entire judicial system…”

The National Organization for Marriage’s Brian Brown, whose organization has been trying to drive a wedge between the African American community and the LGBTQ community for the past several years, also spoke to Mefferd and told her that while he “was not alive during the Civil Rights Movement [the March 26 anti-gay rally in Washington, D.C.] is what is must have felt like” to be involved with the Movement.

Brown added: “… people were just so ecstatic to stand up and they did it in a loving, respectful way but they weren’t going to be silenced. I couldn’t be more happy with what happened today, I think it’s a huge step forward for the pro-marriage movement and I don’t think it’s going to be lost on the Supreme Court justices that we were there and we were there in force.”

LaBarbera, who has been fanning the flames of anti-gay bigotry for years, told Mefferd that “If you want to understand the homosexual movement, .it’s a movement at war with nature, with God and with truth.”

The Religious Right group Government Is Not God PAC recently warned that if the Supreme Court strikes down Proposition 8 and DOMA then “religious freedom, freedom of speech and the First Amendment will die”: “If homosexuals win, the Bill of Rights dies and religious liberty/free speech will die with it,” GING PAC maintained. “We either fight this evil or see our children and grandchildren brainwashed and/or coerced into accepting homosexuality as the new normal in our society.”

This is by no means the last we will hear from these guys. They’ll be rocking and railing against the gay for many years to come. Regardless of what the Supreme Court decides, as time passes they and their conservative Christian comrades (and there are plenty of them to go around) will become more and more isolated. In some cases, martyrdom what there hoping for. After all, that formula has paid the bills for the past several decades and will likely keep the lights on at those ministries and organizations for years to come.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
:lol he keeps forgetting that is was democrats, in particular minorities, that ensured prop 8 passed. His ridiculous bigotry and hatred of things he does not understand, such as faith, blinds him to reality.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Faith isn't difficult to understand. Children have vivid imaginations and imagine people who aren't there all the time, it doesn't require any sort of special degree to understand why.

What is difficult to understand is why people who profess one thing (love thy neighbor) act in a way that completely contradicts that. Why do they want to deny their neighbors rights? Why do they continually find themselves on the wrong side of history (they made the same arguments against giving blacks rights, interracial marriages etc) and seemingly NEVER learn from their mistakes?

Oh that's right, because their entire world outlook hasn't been updated (except by the forceful tide of public opinion) in thousands of years.

When you get your marching orders from (what amounts to) a Harry Potter book, you're going to have issues with the rest of the non-insane world.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
So if you neighbor is into bestiality or little kids, you are supposed to love them? Do you love pedophiles? I bet you do, after all it is just and alternative lifestyle and we are all supposed to tolerant of those sort of things, right?

Where are all the articles about the real people that passed prop 8. You are such a fucking phony.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Can children or animals consent to sexual intercourse?

When we gave women and blacks the right to vote did we also give it to infants and gerbils?

Wake the fuck up.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Can children or animals consent to sexual intercourse?

When we gave women and blacks the right to vote did we also give it to infants and gerbils?

Wake the fuck up.

Discussion over I'm assuming

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
So you refuse to acknowledge the reality that Obama voters are the ones that voted down gay marriage. Big shock. It does not fit your perverted little agenda so it does not exist. Stupid rump ranger.

You know blacks voted 76% against fag marriage right?

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So you refuse to acknowledge the reality that Obama voters are the ones that voted down gay marriage. Big shock. It does not fit your perverted little agenda so it does not exist. Stupid rump ranger.

the biggest push that helped vote down gay marriage came from the Mormon church. The Samoan and Tongans communities (all Mormon by the way) organized, protested, and intimidated voters leading up to that vote in California.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
So the Mormons forced democrats to change their vote and vote against gay marriage? How did they force them to do that exactly?

So democrats do whatever the Mormons tell them. Interesting to say the least.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So the Mormons forced democrats to change their vote and vote against gay marriage? How did they force them to do that exactly?

I didn't say they forced democrats to change it. They stood outside voting locations and threatened people. There was several arrests where full out fights took place.

Advocates of Prop 8 thought it would be a no-brainer to pass in California. They didn't realize the LDS Church was going to dump so much money into fighting it in California. They also didn't realize physically fighting was going to be one of their tactics.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
cmd wasn't prop 8 also worded confusingly? IIRC it was difficult to tell whether or not you were voting in favor or against gay marriage. There were a few last year that were the same.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
I didn't say they forced democrats to change it. They stood outside voting locations and threatened people. There was several arrests where full out fights took place.

Advocates of Prop 8 thought it would be a no-brainer to pass in California. They didn't realize the LDS Church was going to dump so much money into fighting it in California. They also didn't realize physically fighting was going to be one of their tactics.

They threatened them? How? "You better vote the way I tell you to or I'm gonna.....um I'm gonna ......damn it, I'll will do something really mean. You better come back and tell me how you voted, or else. I mean it!":lol

Give me a break. And now ass pirate is chiming in claiming democrats are too stupid to understand the ballot question. How many more bull shit excuse can you come up with?

Last edited:

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
They threatened them? How? "You better vote the way I tell you to or I'm gonna.....um I'm gonna ......damn it, I'll will do something really mean. You better come back and tell me how you voted, or else. I mean it

Don't know you but I recognize your agenda. Anyway, they literally chased away voters. What aren't you understanding ?

A verbal argument occurred and a suspect described as a Polynesian man, in his 20s, 6 foot 2 inches tall, 250 pounds wearing a white T-shirt, grabbed a 17-year-old girl, knocking her down and striking her in the head. Another suspect, identified as Ivan Schaumkel, 35, of San Mateo, allegedly ran up to the victim and spit in her face. A nearby resident was punched in the face by a young boy when he tried to break up the fight.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
One fight (you forgot the link) between protesting groups is hardly rare.

So the mighty Mormons intimidated everyone. You are sticking to that theory? I guess after the administration endorsed voter intimidation they though it was OK. So the mighty Mormons took the ball and ran with it and forced million of democrats to vote against their conscience. Well if that is what you claim happened, it must be the truth.

Agenda? Really? Ass pirate posts a bunch of nonsense and blames faith for California democrats voting against gay marriage and I have the agenda? Really?

Democrats in California voted against gay marriage in overwhelming numbers, but yep I have an agenda. You are living in fantasy land.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
http://archives.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=100492

Here's the link for that article. There were several fights. I lived in SoCal at the time and it was on the news nightly and my commute home was affected by the protests. I don't care enough to google more incidents for you. Feel free.

So anyone who supports or in my case, doesn't oppose gay marriage is an "ass pirate"? Why am I debating a third grader?

Miss me with the religous stuff. I respect your right to worship whoever or whatever you please. I just don't want it influencing government laws or policies in anyway. Kind of the reason this country exists.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
ass pirate is my little nickname for superpunk. Nothing personal towards you and I should have left it out when addressing you.

I still don't see how the Mormons influenced millions of Californian voters to vote against their conscience. Just from a common sense practical perspective, once they are in the voting both, they can do whatever they want and they did. I know the popular thing to do when things do not go the way the left anticipates is to blame everyone except the people who actually voted against their plan.

I am not Mormon and think they have their own set of troublesome issues, so this is not a defense of Mormons. Do not misunderstand that point.

PS...your story had nothing to do with voting or poling stations. Rival groups have minor incidents all the time.

PSS...I am not even debating if gays should get married. I am debating the reason they are not allowed to do so in California.

Last edited:
Top Bottom