Reaction score
Yeah the "winner" mentality was just amazing with that team. From the HC, the QB, the WR, the RB, the DE, the LB etc etc. They had an enormous collection of guys that just didn't give a shit about anything else other than success. Especially the HC and QB.

That certainly isn't what we had with Wade and/or Red Idiot + Romo

We never did, and never would have heard Troy Aikman give the "if losing a playoff game is the worst thing to happen to me yadda yadda.." speech.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We never did, and never would have heard Troy Aikman give the "if losing a playoff game is the worst thing to happen to me yadda yadda.." speech.

Exactly.

Also never would have seen him take a Cabo trip during a bye week, show up to camp with a pot belly, always take a backseat when it comes to lockerroom leadership or choke away key games at the most important times.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And by the way, aint gonna be no debacle this year.

You assholes are gonna get 19-0, and you better damn well like it.

Reaction score
And by the way, aint gonna be no debacle this year.

You assholes are gonna get 19-0, and you better damn well like it.

All signs point to another 2014 and 2016. Desperation + actual coaching = scheme change. (My hunch is that since Garrett neither innovates nor changes, he is going to mimic the Jaguars use of a WCO/Coryell hybrid and Hurns is going to be the lead model of how to run some integrated routes and eventually go back to Garrett’s main four plays).

I do think with the defense improved and the run play components ready, the moment the team appears to disintegrate with or without a lead, the patience for JG will be done. And then All Hail King Richard.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
All signs point to another 2014 and 2016. Desperation + actual coaching = scheme change. (My hunch is that since Garrett neither innovates nor changes, he is going to mimic the Jaguars use of a WCO/Coryell hybrid and Hurns is going to be the lead model of how to run some integrated routes and eventually go back to Garrett’s main four plays).

I do think with the defense improved and the run play components ready, the moment the team appears to disintegrate with or without a lead, the patience for JG will be done. And then All Hail King Richard.

Dont agree with any of this. I stand firm at 6 to 8 wins depending on acquiring Earl Thomas. I think the offense will be one dimensional (Zeke) and easy to defend, and the defense middle of the pack at best. Relatively speaking they have been injury free the last couple years, not sure that continues this year either.

Reaction score
Dont agree with any of this. I stand firm at 6 to 8 wins depending on acquiring Earl Thomas. I think the offense will be one dimensional (Zeke) and easy to defend, and the defense middle of the pack at best. Relatively speaking they have been injury free the last couple years, not sure that continues this year either.
Can you explain what led to the rather anomalous 14 and 16 seasons? I can. Both were precipitated by Jerry insisting that the passing offense change and the coaching not be embarrassing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you explain what led to the rather anomalous 14 and 16 seasons? I can. Both were precipitated by Jerry insisting that the passing offense change and the coaching not be embarrassing.

Demarco Murray and Zeke Elliott had all world rushing seasons those years, and both seasons the defense over-achieved greatly over what expectations were. I'm not sure I saw any real passing game changes either season. (Other than Dak replacing the injured Romo in 2016) but Romo and Prescott both had exceptional seasons in terms of comp%, limited turnovers and high yds per attempt. All IMO the result of the dominant OL/run game.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Favre was also an alcoholic pain pill popping prick.

Cowboys owned his ass in the 90's.

That Cowboys team beat that Packers team 8 straight times. They even beat them in the regular season in '96. After that the Cowboys were a shell of what they used to be.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Demarco Murray and Zeke Elliott had all world rushing seasons those years, and both seasons the defense over-achieved greatly over what expectations were. I'm not sure I saw any real passing game changes either season. (Other than Dak replacing the injured Romo in 2016) but Romo and Prescott both had exceptional seasons in terms of comp%, limited turnovers and high yds per attempt. All IMO the result of the dominant OL/run game.

I'm not sure the defense played any better. Few turnovers and ball control offense hid them on the sidelines. That leaves little room for error. Errors we made in the playoffs we couldn't overcome. But that was the same crap defense.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
To me it seems quite simple. Our most valuable players on either side of the ball, Tyron Smith and Sean Lee, happen to be our 2 most injury prone players. If those 2 can play 16 games each, or as close to it, then I expect something around the 10-6/11-5 mark. If, as is most likely, they both miss significant time, you can reverse those records, because Garrett clearly can't coach his way around injuries. I just hope Garrett isn't allowed to use them missing time as an excuse.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The only thing I can see happening this season is Zeke making 2000 yards. Assuming he and the OL stay healthy. Other than that pretty much everything else is a crap shoot

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The only thing I can see happening this season is Zeke making 2000 yards. Assuming he and the OL stay healthy. Other than that pretty much everything else is a crap shoot

If you're talking 2000 yds total offense, I can almost see something in that neighborhood. But not 2000 yds rushing alone.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Holy shit

Is it really only 13 days before the first pre-season game?

That seems crazy!
No, it's not and my bad. I entered the wrong month in the countdown app. It's actually as of today, 39 days until preseason kickoff for Dallas @ San Fran.

So, plenty of time to make your travel arrangements and get your tickets!

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, it's not and my bad. I entered the wrong month in the countdown app. It's actually as of today, 39 days until preseason kickoff for Dallas @ San Fran.

So, plenty of time to make your travel arrangements and get your tickets!

Maybe it's 39 days until the start of the season. Pre-season game starts on 8/9

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Stars aligning for Urban Meyer to be HC here next year? I expect OSU to give him the boot and maybe his rep is damaged enough he would come here without organizational control. Its a long shot but I can hope.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Maybe it's 39 days until the start of the season. Pre-season game starts on 8/9
Dagnabbit, I'm wrong again! Thanks for the sharp eye - I definitely looked at the wrong schedule, we open REGULAR season on 9/9 and preseason on 8/9.

08 DAYS
06 HRS
08 MINS
48 SECS

From now.

Still plenty of time for Scot to get his shit together and go to the game and SUPPORT JERRY!

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dagnabbit, I'm wrong again! Thanks for the sharp eye - I definitely looked at the wrong schedule, we open REGULAR season on 9/9 and preseason on 8/9.

08 DAYS
06 HRS
08 MINS
48 SECS

From now.

Still plenty of time for Scot to get his shit together and go to the game and SUPPORT JERRY!

I figured when you mentioned SF. Time to get this thing going and get some answers.

Top Bottom