C

Cr122

Texans: We played it straight, too
Posted at 11:37 PM on Sat., Aug. 28, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Gerry Fraley / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Houston linebacker DeMeco Ryans said that like the Cowboys, his team held back much of its repertoire in Saturday night's exhibition game.

``We didn't do much out there, but it was good form,'' Ryans said. ``Guys were just flying around. Gusy were having fun, and I think it showed. It allowed us to play fast. Everybody knew what they were doing.''

The teams meet again in a regular-season game on Sept. 26 at Reliant Stadium.

C

Cr122

That's what I'm saying, they showed their hand because they wanted that gay fucking cup.

sbk92

Reaction score
Of course they held back. All teams do in the preseason.

It's this idiotic fan base that's pretending only the Cowboys are vanilla this time of year.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Of course they held back. All teams do in the preseason.

It's this idiotic fan base that's pretending only the Cowboys are vanilla this time of year.

No question.

It was just the degree of "vanillaness".

Corner blitzes are more exotic.

Doesn't excuse the shatty performance by the Cowboys though. Vanilla or not, you have to be able to recognize stunts.

C

Cr122

The next time we meet we will see a lot more different looks from both teams.

The one thing that worried me a bit was we couldn't stop the run, that was because of being vanilla? Horseshit.

Reaction score

The one thing that worried me a bit was we couldn't stop the run, that was because of being vanilla? Horseshit.

BINGO !!!!!!!! Me too and it didn't matter who they used they tore us up just like the Chargers.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I think the way our defense played was very uncharacteristic. That being siad, I do not think Foster will run wild like that again. Can't get Spears back soon enough. Alot of people were dfown on Spears because he didn't generate sacks, but nowq they are seeing how valuable he is.

C

Cr122

I think the way our defense played was very uncharacteristic. That being siad, I do not think Foster will run wild like that again. Can't get Spears back soon enough. Alot of people were dfown on Spears because he didn't generate sacks, but nowq they are seeing how valuable he is.

Not me. I like Spears and he's a big part of our defense. And your right Foster won't do that again.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Not me. I like Spears and he's a big part of our defense. And your right Foster won't do that again.

It'd be a mistake for Jerry to let Spears walk. He already lowballed him, and Spears has taken it in stride. This guy is one of the most udnerrated players on our team, and now we are seeing the fruits of his absence.

C

Cr122

It'd be a mistake for Jerry to let Spears walk. He already lowballed him, and Spears has taken it in stride. This guy is one of the most udnerrated players on our team, and now we are seeing the fruits of his absence.

I agree, we need him and it has shown in our run game here recently.

sbk92

Reaction score
We're light at NT with no big bangers behind him at ILB. We need the two DEs to be outstanding run defenders or we can get pushed around between the tackles with the power running game.

C

Cr122

I want Spears back.

I like Brent but he needs some more playing time and experience.

Reaction score
The game illustrated how important Spears is to our defense. We need him and Igor to hold the ends of the line.

And it was Phil Simms who said during the game that the defense the Cowboys were playing was nothing like what he had seen us doing in practice. We were just playing heads up with nothing exotic.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The game illustrated how important Spears is to our defense. We need him and Igor to hold the ends of the line.

And it was Phil Simms who said during the game that the defense the Cowboys were playing was nothing like what he had seen us doing in practice. We were just playing heads up with nothing exotic.

Of course. Newman and Jenkins are man CBs, and yet we were playing zone with them both. 2nd and 7 or 3rd and 7, and both Newman and Jenkins were 10-11 yards off the LOS. Of course Schaub is going to hit whomever and compelte athe first down.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The thing is though as it was mentioned, after those two sacks, the Oline DID settle down and protected better. The more I watch of the game what concerns me is the slow start the Oline gets off to.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
The thing is though as it was mentioned, after those two sacks, the Oline DID settle down and protected better. The more I watch of the game what concerns me is the slow start the Oline gets off to.

That's where I think you'll see a difference in the play calling during the regular season. You'll see more short passes on first down in order to not have to rely on the run against a defense using run-blitzes and the oline will not have to maintain their blocks for very long.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That's where I think you'll see a difference in the play calling during the regular season. You'll see more short passes on first down in order to not have to rely on the run against a defense using run-blitzes and the oline will not have to maintain their blocks for very long.

If Dez turns out to be advertized then that will make a whole lot of difference. As it stands, both Miles and Witten on occasion are facing double-teams and sometimes triple teams due to Roy's incompetence.

sbk92

Reaction score
Dez Bryant makes no difference in pass protection. Not when your line just can't win their battles.

He'd be another wasted weapon on the field while Romo's on his back.

Top Bottom