C

Cr122

Texans rookie Ben Tate suffers lower leg injury
Posted by Mike Florio on August 14, 2010 10:05 PM ET
After struggling at times in the running game during their eight years of existence, the Texans have a relative embarrassment of riches at the position.

Or, perhaps more accurately, they had an embarrassment of riches.

Rookie second-round tailback Ben Tate left the second half of the Texans' preseason opener, taking a cart ride to the locker room after being helped off the field, per John McClain of the Houston Chronicle.

Because the Cardinals' broadcasters were talking to one of the local hockey players and not paying attention to, you know, the game, the television coverage via NFL.com's Preseason Live didn't show the play. But cameras eventually caught Tate hobbling off, not putting weight on his right leg. It appears to be either a knee or an ankle injury.

Per McClain, the team is calling it "a lower leg injury," with no further details.

Tate gained seven yards on two carries, also catching one pass for five yards. Starter Arian Foster picked up 31 on four attempts. Former starter Steve Slaton managed only 22 yards on 10 carries, but gained 21 yards on one reception. More importantly, Slaton fumbled into the end zone on a carry from the one; the ball was recovered by the Cardinals for a touchback.

C

Cr122

Don't have the link yet, I'll post it as soon as I know but according to NFL Network they may have lost Tate for the season.

C

Cr122

Broken ankle expected to cost Ben Tate his rookie season
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 15, 2010 9:40 AM ET
Texans coach Gary Kubiak won't get to ride rookie running back Ben Tate in practice any longer. The "lower leg" injury Tate suffered Saturday night appears to be a broken right ankle that will knock Tate out for the season, according to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle.

The Texans took Tate late in the second round of April's draft, and the Auburn back was struggling to adjust to the NFL. Kubiak barked at Tate plenty in practice and through the media, saying Tate had an "up and down" camp and had a "long way to go."

"I've been hard on Ben because he's going to be a big part of what we do," Kubiak said this week.

Expected to eventually start, Tate was still running with the third team behind Arian Foster and Steve Slaton. Houston's improved depth at running back looks less improved now.

____________ ________________________ _______________________ _________

This is why I like to have late drafts in fantasy football.

C

Cr122

Surgery coming for Ben Tate
Posted by Mike Florio on August 15, 2010 5:50 PM ET
Though there are conflicting opinions as to whether Texans rookie running back Ben Tate broke his ankle on Saturday night in the team's preseason opener, coach Gary Kubiak acknowledged on Sunday that Tate has a "very significant ankle injury," which will require surgery.

"Well, he obviously has a very significant ankle injury," Kubiak said. "It's still under evaluation at this point. I know that it's going to need surgery. It's going to require surgery. So we'll probably have a definite answer for you sometime tomorrow. Very unfortunate. It doesn't look good. That's the best I can describe it for right now."

Kubiak didn't say Tate will miss the entire season. So stay tuned.

Top Bottom