Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I want a better oline but the draft couldn't have fallen worse for us.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I would have taken Warford in the second and not blinked while doing it.

Warford wouldn't have been a bad pick to me but he wasn't even on their board. They felt that he didn't fit their scheme an I believe in staying true to your board. We also have had pretty good draft the last 2-3 years and am willing to giving them a chance to fail before I label them trash.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Picking the TE in the second was the worst pick in the draft. Coupled with trading down from Floyd to take a player we could have drafted with the second pick.

Exactly, why go to the trouble of making a draft board if they are not going to use it?

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I would have taken Warford in the second and not blinked while doing it.

I like powerfull big linemen that can push the pile. Fred, Leary and Warford would have made a strong interior line that could move the pile. Maybe the Mexican TE will block well.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Which current or previous NFL receiver do you see Williams becoming most like? What is his upside?

I don't know how that's relevant. Drafting for need rarely works. Draft the best players available and you normally build a sounder roster. They had Williams rated pretty high and got him early in the third round.

Austin is talented but has proven he cant be counted on, and has cap charges that might mean waiving him after this season is a real possibility. Bryant & Williams could be quite a duo for years to come here.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Broaddus says Williams doesn't have a concussion:

He was actually replying to someone that said he was looking forward to seeing Williams, and Broaddus was saying no to Williams because of the concussion.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
He was actually replying to someone that said he was looking forward to seeing Williams, and Broaddus was saying no to Williams because of the concussion.

kkkk.gif

thanks for getting me momentarily excited, David

Last edited:

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
The reason I liked the pick was that it wasn't a need... He was the best player on our board. We all know the fastest way to get into trouble is to draft for what you need right now.
Frederick was clearly overreacted due to need. I was a Frederick fan but it was stupid to get raped on a bad trade to get in a position to overdraft him. A better trade offer was on the table, but the trade with the 49ers was set pre draft. The biggest advantage of drafting Williams was that he can get Austin's overpaid ass of the roster and he wasn't a reach on draft day. He was a much better value pick than Frederick.

Reaction score
I don't know how that's relevant. Drafting for need rarely works. Draft the best players available and you normally build a sounder roster. They had Williams rated pretty high and got him early in the third round.

Austin is talented but has proven he cant be counted on, and has cap charges that might mean waiving him after this season is a real possibility. Bryant & Williams could be quite a duo for years to come here.

Answer the question.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Frederick was clearly overreacted due to need. I was a Frederick fan but it was stupid to get raped on a bad trade to get in a position to overdraft him. A better trade offer was on the table, but the trade with the 49ers was set pre draft. The biggest advantage of drafting Williams was that he can get Austin's overpaid ass of the roster and he wasn't a reach on draft day. He was a much better value pick than Frederick.
Agree.

You said you played and coached OL, right? What's your opinion of Frederick? I admit I didn't like how slow he was reported to be at the time, but after watching a bunch of his plays, he looks pretty good to me. At least he looks strong enough to not get pushed around.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Agree.

You said you played and coached OL, right? What's your opinion of Frederick? I admit I didn't like how slow he was reported to be at the time, but after watching a bunch of his plays, he looks pretty good to me. At least he looks strong enough to not get pushed around.
he is my kind of lineman. He plays with power and he wins his battles at the LOS. He was just not a first round talent. I watched many of his college games due to the Badgers playing great line play and I like watching it. He will get beat with speed from time to time, but the pocket won't collapse up the middle due to Fred. He will have some trouble with the speed of the pro game, but it will adjust. I just wish he has two powerhouses playing on each side of him. Fred was one of my favorite lineman if he would have been a second or third round pick. He can be part of a line that can take over a game with some help.

Top Bottom