C

Cr122

Tebow says he's not concerned about throwing motion

Posted by Mike Florio on August 17, 2010 9:33 AM ET

In January and February, quarterback Tim Tebow embarked on a desperate effort to change a throwing motion that was making him less attractive to NFL scouts.

Tebow previously has declared the importance of adjusting his mechanics. "Well the number one thing is to just reach my potential," Tebow said at the time. "You know, I believe in myself as a player and an athlete. And I wanna be the best player that I can be, to help an NFL team and help an organization. So my number one goal is to reach my potential and be the best I can be. And that's why these changes occurred, is because I felt it's gonna help me be more accurate, be quicker, and just make better decisions. And for me making this change has been very natural, [and] I'm excited about it. . . ."

So he successfully rolled out at the Florida Pro Day workout an improved release, which helped him land in the first round of the 2010 draft.

But now that he's playing in NFL games, Tebow is back to his old habits. And now that it's too late for the Broncos to take back the first-round pick they used to get him, Tebow is singing a different tune about his largely unchanged throwing motion.

"I don't know if that necessarily matters," Tebow said Monday, according to Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post. "I never listened too much to what people said. I'm just trying to stay focused and get better every day and try to be the best player and teammate I can be on this team and not worry about what people say."

That's what they call an inconsistency. And it means that Tebow was saying whatever suited his interests in February, or that he's saying whatever suits his interests in August. Or both.

Meanwhile, we're detecting from some members of the Denver media a very subtle but very real effort to overlook and/or to excuse Tebow's inability (to date) to accomplish that which he had vowed to do before the draft. And, frankly, we think that's even worse than asking the guy for his autograph; at least it's obvious to the audience that the folks who do that are in the tank for Tebow.

Top Bottom