C

Cr122

Taylor: Spend some premium picks of offensive linemen who can play

01:04 AM CDT on Sunday, August 22, 2010

Our Cowboys writers held a live chat during Saturday night's Dallas-San Diego preseason game. Here are some highlights.

longhornhale asks ... Any thoughts on the rumors I've seen in the papers that Alex Barron is cruising on this injury a little? i.e. he should get his rear end back out there and practice?

Gerry Fraley: Barron has the fifth-longest consecutive games streak among offensive tackles in the NFL. If he ever wanted to dog it, it would have been during that streak. It came with some terrible St. Louis teams. If the man says he's hurt, he's hurt.

David Moore: Barron should begin practicing next week and play against Houston. Phillips indicated the other day if this was a regular season game, Barron would have played.

longhornhale asks ... Injuries to the O-line biggest story so far? Even more so than the one to Dez Bryant?

Jean-Jacques: Yup....all the sexy weapons in the world don't mean squat if the line can't block for Romo and open up holes

Gerry Fraley: Offensive line injuries significant, but remember none is a season-ender. Bryant missed a lot of valuable practice time. Rookie receivers have a tough transiton period. He'll still have to deal with that.

Todd Archer: Biggest in terms of the team's success. Not biggest in terms of interest, however. I do think the fact the Cowboys don't need Bryant to catch 80 passes this year to be successful is a good thing. That's where most first round WRs get in trouble. They have to be The Man. He doesn't have to be THE guy.

longhornhale asks ... Jacques got on the boys pretty good for their failure to draft O-line smartly. Are they all that bad or just young and untested?

Jean-Jacques: Brewster: Early impression is that he's just a guy, who might be better at guard. Young: Too early to tell, though he gets good reviews. McQuistan: Just a guy. The Cowboys have spent four second-round picks on OL in the last 10 years. The players were Flozell Adams, Andre Gurode , Al Johnson and Jacob Rodgers. The first three were starters and the last one was a total bust. Conclusion: Spend some premium picks on guys who can play.

Click here to read the entire chat

• • •

Top Bottom