Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
My heart is beginning to beat a little faster.

No, it's not the Starbucks Double Chocolate Chip Frappuccino.

It's not the contents of my girlfriend's Victoria Secret's shopping bag she just carried in.

Its not crystal meth.

The first Cowboy preseason game is almost exactly a week from now.

Football season is upon us. Life has more meaning.

:getjiggy :getjiggy :getjiggy :getjiggy :getjiggy

Reaction score
I pushed my son off the Playstation earlier to watch Manziel in his Browns scrimmage. Excited and very optimistic about this season.

Reaction score
I was watching that - he seemed to have more purpose, and definitely had more zip on the ball.

It’s just a scrimmage but he does seem to be more focused. Be interesting to see what he does in preseason and if they give him 1st team reps.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm a little nervous when it comes to discussing Manziel.

I mean, we will always be happy it was Zach Martin, right?

Even if Manziel turns out to be really good, we all agree and we are all comfortable that the Cowboys selected Zach Martin, right?

I mean, back in 1979, I was very satisfied with the Cowboys selecting Doug Cosbie in the 3rd round of the draft. He had a really nice career as a TE. The Cowboys were stacked at quarterback, they had Staubach, Danny White, and their 1977 2nd round pick, Glen Carrano. They didn't need a 4th quarterback, so they passed over the one that was still there in the 3rd round.

I mean, the team that took him went 2-14 in 1978 and he only threw 15 passes in 1979. They went 2-14 a second straight year under a rookie Head Coach. So I was happy that year we had a new TE on the team.

Heck, that quarterback couldn't beat out the team's starter who just happened to be the Cowboys 10th round pick in 1977, the same year they drafted Carano in the 2nd. Our excess players became other team's starters.

What could the 49ers and their new coach, Bill Walsh, possibly accomplish with this guy.....Joe Montana?

So, no matter what, we are all thrilled it was Zach Martin.....right?

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Know how I know you're gay?

I'm gonna guess it wasn't a reference to my wife's Victoria Secrets bag?

If I shotgun one of those caffeine-sugar nukes then I might as well be on crystal meth.

Reaction score
I'm a little nervous when it comes to discussing Manziel.

I mean, we will always be happy it was Zach Martin, right?

Even if Manziel turns out to be really good, we all agree and we are all comfortable that the Cowboys selected Zach Martin, right?

I mean, back in 1979, I was very satisfied with the Cowboys selecting Doug Cosbie in the 3rd round of the draft. He had a really nice career as a TE. The Cowboys were stacked at quarterback, they had Staubach, Danny White, and their 1977 2nd round pick, Glen Carrano. They didn't need a 4th quarterback, so they passed over the one that was still there in the 3rd round.

I mean, the team that took him went 2-14 in 1978 and he only threw 15 passes in 1979. They went 2-14 a second straight year under a rookie Head Coach. So I was happy that year we had a new TE on the team.

Heck, that quarterback couldn't beat out the team's starter who just happened to be the Cowboys 10th round pick in 1977, the same year they drafted Carano in the 2nd. Our excess players became other team's starters.

What could the 49ers and their new coach, Bill Walsh, possibly accomplish with this guy.....Joe Montana?

So, no matter what, we are all thrilled it was Zach Martin.....right?

It’s kindof like picking Tyron Smith over JJ Watt.

Martin has turned into an All-Pro and Manziel is still an unknown.

The Cowboys can’t ignore the QB of the future forever. It just takes one big hit to put Romo away for good. The Browns do have a kid i like, Conner Shaw. With Vaughn struggling in camp, id pick him up if he is cut.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It’s kindof like picking Tyron Smith over JJ Watt.

Martin has turned into an All-Pro and Manziel is still an unknown.

The Cowboys can’t ignore the QB of the future forever. It just takes one big hit to put Romo away for good. The Browns do have a kid i like, Conner Shaw. With Vaughn struggling in camp, id pick him up if he is cut.

Historically, the Cowboys have used two methods successfully.

1. Get that 1st round pick with the superior physical skills and build a team around him......Aikman, Morton, Meredith....

2. Develop a system that includes some real dynamic, out of the box elements that are unique in the league,,,,(a three year development plan for a rookie free agent like Tony Romo, a patient approach of acquiring premium talent that require a waiting period like Roger Staubach)

I think they should stay away from guys that picked baseball as their first sport and only went to football when they couldn't make it in the major leagues (the Chads).

......and no potheads for the time being (Q).

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It’s just a scrimmage but he does seem to be more focused. Be interesting to see what he does in preseason and if they give him 1st team reps.
Yep maybe he got his wake-up call and is taking professional football seriously now.

Top Bottom