Reaction score
By Brandon George , Staff Writer Contact Brandon George on Twitter: @DMN_George

IRVING - Tony Romo is actually doing some heavy lifting for a change during a Cowboys offseason.

And that's good news, even for a quarterback who twice broke his collarbone last season and has undergone multiple back surgeries.

Romo is a full participant in the Cowboys offseason for the first time in three years and this week for the first time since Thanksgiving is back leading 11-on-11 work in practices for the start of the club's organized team activities.

The Cowboys aren't practicing in full pads or even tackling, but Romo looked sharp during his first-team repetitions Wednesday at Valley Ranch. He was moving well and accurate with most of his passes.

He's now 11 weeks removed from preventative surgery to protect his left clavicle, which he's fractured three times in his career. The two broken collarbones last season limited Romo to a career-low four games.

Romo, who turned 36 last month, said it was tough for him to sit and watch most of the time last season as the Cowboys went 1-11 without him. Romo said he feels better than he has in the last five years.

"Right now, it's been exciting to be able to do some of the things that I haven't been able to do," Romo said. "Signs of that show on the football field for myself. And they're subtle. It's tough to see from the naked eye. But I do think that my coaches and teammates around me see it."

That's for sure.

Cowboys quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson is ecstatic about what he's seen from Romo.

"Tony has looked phenomenal. This is the best stretch I've seen him in the spring in a long time," Wilson said. "There are no effects from any of the injuries, he still does a routine to take care of his back, but he's done his full workload out here. He hasn't gotten out of anything.

"He's throwing with a lot of velocity and a lot of accuracy. He missed a lot of the season last year, so he's got a rejuvenated spirit out here and he's really into it and pushing other guys. We're putting in a few new things and it's got him excited."

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has long said that he believes Romo has another four to five years left in him before he retires. The Cowboys certainly hope that's the case, considering Romo is signed through 2019 and still owed more than $60 million.

Jones has contended that Romo is a young 36 because he didn't become a starting quarterback until three-and-a-half years into his career, midway through 2006.

"As far as the young term, once again, is 32 young? Is 22 young? I don't know. Obviously I'm not in my mid-20s anymore, but I do think that based on what my situation has been like the last three or four years I do think that this is drastically different," Romo said. "It started to show signs last offseason and this [offseason] is different. It takes me back five years ago when I was able to do things [a certain] way. I'm not there yet, but it's exciting to be able to actually get after it a little bit."

Romo said he "absolutely" believes he can play another four to five years. He even joked that maybe he can last seven or eight more years.

"With the way that it's going right now, the running joke is that I'm the only one in here getting younger each year," Romo said, "so we'll see if that continues."

Romo still isn't playing golf these days, but he has picked up racquetball. He can sometimes be found playing racquetball at Valley Ranch. He'll often even play left-handed.

"He's playing racquetball and doing a lot of competitive things and exercises he hasn't done over the last few years," Wilson said. "He wanted to do it himself. It's a way to get explosive movements, doing some different things and doing it in a competitive environment. He likes to do that. Just the fact that he can do that it's helping him. He uses both hands, which is crazy, phenomenal to me. He just looks quicker and more athletic than he has."

That's also beneficial considering that in a few weeks Romo and his family will move into his new home in North Dallas that's been under construction the last few years.

But don't expect Romo to be lifting any bulky furniture.

He'll save his heavy lifting for the practice field.

"If everything keeps going the way it's going," Romo said, "I think it's going to be exciting going into camp."

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
When did these "multiple back surgeries" for Romo happen? We know he had a cyst removed and then he had the surgery for the herniated disc. Yet we have heard for almost 2 yrs now from numerous mediots that Romo has had "multiple back surgeries." :brick

Reaction score
When did these "multiple back surgeries" for Romo happen? We know he had a cyst removed and then he had the surgery for the herniated disc. Yet we have heard for almost 2 yrs now from numerous mediots that Romo has had "multiple back surgeries." :brick

Sounds like you answered your own question. When he had the cyst removed and then the herniated disk.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Sounds like you answered your own question. When he had the cyst removed and then the herniated disk.

Cyst removal isnt quite the "back surgery" that the mediots make it out to be. A dermatologist can remove a mole and its called "surgery." Hardly the equivalent of "back surgery" for a herniated disc, yet the mediots present as such.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I'll feel a lot better about Romo's future health if Dallas signs a big pass blocking FB to stay in and protect our franchise QB

Iamtdg

Reaction score
I'll feel a lot better about Romo's future health if Dallas signs a big pass blocking FB to stay in and protect our franchise QB

I don't think we need that as much now that we have Elliot. Elliot is one of the best blocking RBs I have seen come out of the draft in a long damn time.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
This is all well and good until he takes the first really hard hit and gets buried. It is easy to feel good in the offseason. By the way, from what I remember, the back surgery was a good bit more than just a cyst removal. That fact didn't come out until much later. The other back surgery was serious and was reported correctly.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
This is all well and good until he takes the first really hard hit and gets buried. It is easy to feel good in the offseason. By the way, from what I remember, the back surgery was a good bit more than just a cyst removal. That fact didn't come out until much later. The other back surgery was serious and was reported correctly.

actually there were RUMORS about that but were never shown to have much substance. But then you always did have a creative memory

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
actually there were RUMORS about that but were never shown to have much substance. But then you always did have a creative memory
Actually it's pretty well documented. It's also confirmed by Tony himself that the Cowboys organization hasn't at all been honest about the extent of Tony's back issues.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

There was a huge shroud of mystery over the "cyst removal" and by many accounts, was just a story the organization put out there to cover for what was a more significant issue.

cockstrong

UDFA
Reaction score
Tony had a herniated disk in his back that wasn't found by Dallas doctors until after he signed his last contract.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Tony had a herniated disk in his back that wasn't found by Dallas doctors until after he signed his last contract.
Because Jerruh failed in due diligence, and didn't have Tony undergo a physical before the new deal was offered.

This is why it's pretty certain that the prior "cyst" was a bit more complex than a simple cyst. That it likely involved deeper tissue, and the surgery to remove it led to the later disk issue. Unless of course we just blithely believe in coincidence.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Because Jerruh failed in due diligence, and didn't have Tony undergo a physical before the new deal was offered.

This is why it's pretty certain that the prior "cyst" was a bit more complex than a simple cyst. That it likely involved deeper tissue, and the surgery to remove it led to the later disk issue. Unless of course we just blithely believe in coincidence.
love how third hand remarks by hacks are considered valid by some here

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
love how third hand remarks by hacks are considered valid by some here
the cyst was a completely separate issue but some here just need to believe otherwise
You don't understand that ALL of that stuff was later admitted to. Just like you didn't believe Romo tweaked his back in game 1 last season. He did, he SAID he did. You can call Tony a liar all you want, it's no skin off my nose or anyone else's. No one gives a fuck what you believe.

You're the only one who has crap you "need to believe."

They misled and outright lied about Tony's back issues from Day One, back with the cyst. It's documented. The only question left open in all of it is, if THEY were misled and/or lied to about it.

They admitted later they didn't require a physical before the new contract was signed. That was a really dumb thing to do IMO when you're signing someone to a 100 million-plus deal with 55 million guaranteed. So they got what they deserved.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Perhaps you don't remember the timeline to all of this. He had his "cyst" surgery in April of 2013 AFTER signing his new deal. Then in the Washington game of week 16 is when he went down with his herniated disk. Okay, herniated disks don't just suddenly happen, they start small and get worse over time. So it's definitely safe to say it was related to the "cyst" surgery in the exact same spot in his back, (the cyst was a Synovial discal cyst, not just dermal, the L4-L5 area) and the surrounding tissues. You think it's just a coincidence? Later on it was revealed, it wasn't one. And herniation of the affected disk is a common next phase of the inflammation that caused the cyst in the first place.

Did you forget he also missed the entire minicamp and OTAs of 2013, recovering from this "minor cyst surgery?" Doesn't sound all that minor when you remember that.

You simply don't know that you don't know. That's part of the Dunning–Kruger effect by the way. But your tendency to just believe this team when they say shit is "minor" and have no skepticism at all for anything else they say is something else entirely. It's faith..... Faith in Jerry and Ginger... You're a religious zealot where the Cowboys is concerned.

Top Bottom