C

Cr122

Supplemental draft could include Notre Dame’s Michael Floyd
Posted by Evan Silva on March 21, 2011, 7:04 PM EDT

APWhether the mid-July supplemental draft will take place as usual is unclear, but if the NFL does go through with it, the top prospect available may be Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Floyd.

Floyd was arrested early Sunday for DUI, giving him two alcohol-related arrests in the past 14 months. Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly announced in a Monday statement that Floyd has been suspended indefinitely from the program.

Kelly encouraged Floyd, a team captain, to “get his life in order” as he awaits further potential discipline from Notre Dame’s Office of Resident Life.

If Floyd’s suspension extends into the season or results in his expulsion, he could consider transferring to a lower-level, FCS school or begin training for the possibility that the NFL will hold a supplemental draft.

Floyd, a former five-star recruit, is listed at 6-foot-3 and 227 pounds. In three seasons, he set the Notre Dame all-time record for touchdown catches despite missing nine games due to injury. Floyd considered declaring for the NFL draft after his junior year, but opted to return to school after reportedly receiving a third-round grade from the Draft Advisory Committee.

Draftniks believe the committee’s third-round projection was much too conservative, however. Russ Lande of Sporting News contends that Floyd would’ve been a first-rounder and the third receiver off the board this April, behind only A.J. Green of Georgia and Julio Jones of Alabama.

C

Cr122

Updated: March 22, 2011, 3:34 PM ET
No timeline set for Michael Floyd return

Associated Press
SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly says there is no timeline for bringing back suspended wide receiver Michael Floyd.

Kelly suspended Floyd indefinitely on Monday following his weekend arrest on suspicion of drunken driving. Authorities say his blood-alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit.

Kelly said Tuesday that he's felt anger, disappointment and a determination that nothing like this will happen to Floyd again. The school's career leader in touchdown catches was supposed to be a team captain in 2011.

Spring practice begins Wednesday.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

sbk92

Reaction score
I had a dipshat at Cowboys-Forum try to tell me a few months ago that Floyd was a better pro prospect than Dez Bryant. That he would have a higher grade when he came out.

C

Cr122

I had a dipshat at Cowboys-Forum try to tell me a few months ago that Floyd was a better pro prospect than Dez Bryant. That he would have a higher grade when he came out.

It was probably lons he's the one who thought our offensive line was in good shape.

Top Bottom