MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if they draft a RB this time, what with Randle gone and all. But it won't be first or even second round, probably not even third. And it won't be because they want to play smash mouth.

They have money to burn in FA. If they sign a guy like Lamar Miller they may not draft a RB at all.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They have money to burn in FA. If they sign a guy like Lamar Miller they may not draft a RB at all.
They might address the roster hole with a FA. Doubt they spend a lot on it though if they do go that way. The running game simply isn't important to weenies like Garrett.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Surely you don't "fully expect" them to go run-first again, right? They do it one time since Emmitt left, and you think it's what they want to do?

No. They did it in 2014 to save Tony some hits. They didn't think they needed to do it again in 2015 with Tony's back all better, which IMO was one of their big considerations in not re-signing Murray, and also why they kept saying drafting a RB wasn't a priority, then didn't draft one. They simply do not intend to be a smash mouth team. It ain't Garrett's preferred way of doing things.

They won't be returning to the "form" of 2014. Or that win-loss record either.

For that same reason, they may HAVE to return to that again.

I also think they'll definitely draft a RB this year.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But, they think they have 5 more years outta Tony. I'm not sure they fully grasp his back situation but either way I don't trust these fucks to make a intelligent assessment in that or most any area.

Late round? Mid round maybe?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I guess we will see.

Well with Tony "made of glass" Romo still playing maybe we need to go back to run first and try to save him some hits.

He was hit what? Maybe 15 times last season with two of the 15 hits breaking his collarbone not once but twice

Maybe we go back to running smash mouth football to save Romo as many hits as possible to extend his career as long as possible at this point

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Remember also that Zach Martin got a stinger in camp that lingered for the first few games too. Hopefully the line can hit the season healthy.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Well with Tony "made of glass" Romo still playing maybe we need to go back to run first and try to save him some hits.

He was hit what? Maybe 15 times last season with two of the 15 hits breaking his collarbone not once but twice

Maybe we go back to running smash mouth football to save Romo as many hits as possible to extend his career as long as possible at this point
Hope springs eternal. See my post above.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

If Romo plays 5 more years like Jerry thinks they'll have to.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
The one thing that worries me most about his assessment is the comment "coaching will be the key to his development"

And that is where is think we fail with this guy

Just as ppl believe whatever QB that ends up in Cleveland will not succeed, the same goes for our ability to develop a QB.

that means that any QB will fail that we draft - does not matter who. So if that is the case you go with the most experienced and already developed QB in this draft at this level and that is Goff.

I think way too much is made of Goff's slim build. You do realize that comparing him to David Carr who was professionally murdered by the Texan's refusal to make building an O line a priority? Goff will get better protection behind our O line then any other in the NFL.
His arm is certainly strong enough to get the job done. I think Sturm makes one of his infrequent mistakes in whining about putting a throw on a frozen rope. Just how often is that REALLY important? It is much more important that the QB make those intermediate throws that is the bread and butter of any professional QB and it has been acknowledged by just about everyone that Goff is the best in this class at that.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Hope springs eternal. See my post above.

I just don't see how they look back at last season and "not" start to think that they really need to go back to protecting Romo like they did in 2014.

Otherwise we will just have another rinse and repeat season like last year or every 8-8 season under Carrot Tops regime

What I would love to see is a Goff or Lynch come in and be so dominant that they are just itching for an excuse to get him in the game. Maybe even in place of Romo

Why not start the future now. I know that would never happen. I believe Romo is set to make almost $20mil next season with incentives. That's if he can stay healthy. Which I doubt happens

I'm just really ready for a big change this season. I want to see us blow up the draft and for Jerry to go apeshit in free agency to put a team around Tony for one last hurrah before he gets take. Out of the game for good. Which I believe is the way his career will end. Sad to say but I think he will be forced to retire due to one injury or another and I can easily see that happening in 2016

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I just don't see how they look back at last season and "not" start to think that they really need to go back to protecting Romo like they did in 2014.

Otherwise we will just have another rinse and repeat season like last year or every 8-8 season under Carrot Tops regime

What I would love to see is a Goff or Lynch come in and be so dominant that they are just itching for an excuse to get him in the game. Maybe even in place of Romo

Why not start the future now. I know that would never happen. I believe Romo is set to make almost $20mil next season with incentives. That's if he can stay healthy. Which I doubt happens

I'm just really ready for a big change this season. I want to see us blow up the draft and for Jerry to go apeshit in free agency to put a team around Tony for one last hurrah before he gets take. Out of the game for good. Which I believe is the way his career will end. Sad to say but I think he will be forced to retire due to one injury or another and I can easily see that happening in 2016

I can't remember who I was listening to on the radio the other day and they mentioned that the way Romo's contract is set up it is escapable after 2 more seasons. That is if they don't use his contract to free up more money.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Goff will get better protection behind our O line then any other in the NFL.

I think Tony Romo's twice broken collar bone in the same year, and his injured back from previous years would be inclined to differ on that last statement

Reaction score
Have you guys ever tried posting a Sturm article with all those video clips? It's a pain in the ass. Yet I'm the only fucker to "appreciate" peplaws efforts. This is why we can't have nice things. You guys are ungrateful fucks.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think Tony Romo's twice broken collar bone in the same year, and his injured back from previous years would be inclined to differ on that last statement

No OL prevents a QB from being hit 100% of the time

We have a damn good OL, it's going to be the best friend of whatever QB lines up behind it for years to come.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
No OL prevents a QB from being hit 100% of the time

We have a damn good OL, it's going to be the best friend of whatever QB lines up behind it for years to come.

show me one QB in the draft that would not have an orgasm at the thought of playing behind our O line.

of course you could also say just about all of them might have limp dick syndrome at being part of the Jerruh Jones Red Ball Circus

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
To be honest I'd be happy with Goff, Lynch, or Wentz at this point. Any of them will be an upgrade to Moore and Showers.

I can see them going with Moore as #2 simply because of his last performance unless the new kid just comes in and dominates

Cowboysrock55

Spectator
Reaction score

That's a ridiculous statement. Every QB in the NFL gets hit. Even with great protection a QB will often times hold the ball longer to find the open man, leading to him still getting hit. By all normal measurements our offensive lines pass protection this past year was awesome.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
That's a ridiculous statement. Every QB in the NFL gets hit. Even with great protection a QB will often times hold the ball longer to find the open man, leading to him still getting hit. By all normal measurements our offensive lines pass protection this past year was awesome.

Didn't the Cowboys OL grade out as the best in the NFL this year?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Except for the one main aspect being protecting our franchise QB known to be fragile and who's offense is incapable of functioning without him. Other than that they were AWSOME!

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Spectator
Reaction score
Didn't the Cowboys OL grade out as the best in the NFL this year?

Yes we did. So unless someone has an imaginary expectation that an offensive line can protect a QB for an unlimited amount of time on every play, they should be thrilled with the protection the Cowboys have. To say otherwise would just be plain retarded.

Top Bottom