Iamtdg

Reaction score
Exactly...

And on the show yesterday, Sturm went through the list of guys we have tried to fit in at safety here since Woodson.

High draft pick on Roy Williams, who was good for a few years and then dropped off the cliff.
Hamilin
Sensabaugh
Pat Watkins
Jeff Heath
Abe Elam
Will Allen
Brodney Pool
Keith Davis
Alan Ball
Mike Hamlin
DeAngelo Smith
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
Danny McCray
Matt Johnson
Barry Church
JJ Wilcox

Church and Wilcox aren't close to the worst on that list... but when are we ever going to devote some serious resources to safeties?

God, that list is nauseating.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Oddly I'm still in the schoolhouse that believes if they avoid the plague of injuries they had last year, they can be alot better than last year. Add to that, IF the offense really does commit to the run more than we've seen, and improves the dismal 3rd down conversion percentage, can be even better. Add that to having a good turnover margin which was the ONLY good category last year, and we all might be quite pleasantly surprised.

Lots of "ifs" in that though.

There is no difference in those guys they had in the defense last year then this year. These may be worse. These Kate round draft picks and UDFA are just a younger version of jags from the ones they started last year. It's pathetic.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There is no difference in those guys they had in the defense last year then this year. These may be worse.
But hopefully not all stove up all the time. People forget Ware missed four games last year, for example.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Compared to Garrett, Simmer would be much better. I think the Viking will improve in a shirt time. Can you say the same for the Cowboys? They are in the 4th year of a three year plan with no improvement.

I'll be happy to bet whatever you want on that

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Jacksonville is the only team on the schedule that I have confidence the defense can stop.

Dead serious. Every other team has at least something that concerns me.

Reaction score
What person on this defense do you have confidence in being a consistent, solid player?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yes, devoting serious resources to the safety position is something all 31 other teams do all the time

Seahawks - 1st rounder Earl Thomas and 5th rounder Kam Chancellor
49es - 1st rounder Eric Reid, Unrestricted Free Agent Antoine Bethea, and 1st rounder Jimmie Ward
Cardinals - 1st rounder Deone Buchannon and 3rd Rounder Tyrann Mathieu
Saints - 1st rounder Kenny Vacarro and UFA Jarius Byrd
Buccaneers - 1st rounder Mark Barron and UFA Dashon Goldson
Packers - 1st rounder Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and 3rd rounder Morgan Burnett
Patriots - 1st rounder Devin McCourty and 2nd rounder Tavon Wilson
Broncos - 2nd rounder Rahim Moore and UFA TJ Ward

Maybe not 31 teams but outside of Tampa Bay, some pretty good teams seem to invest resources into a valuable position. I expect TB's defense to be much improved this year under Lovie.

CaliCowboy

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Seahawks - 1st rounder Earl Thomas and 5th rounder Kam Chancellor
49es - 1st rounder Eric Reid, Unrestricted Free Agent Antoine Bethea, and 1st rounder Jimmie Ward
Cardinals - 1st rounder Deone Buchannon and 3rd Rounder Tyrann Mathieu
Saints - 1st rounder Kenny Vacarro and UFA Jarius Byrd
Buccaneers - 1st rounder Mark Barron and UFA Dashon Goldson
Packers - 1st rounder Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and 3rd rounder Morgan Burnett
Patriots - 1st rounder Devin McCourty and 2nd rounder Tavon Wilson
Broncos - 2nd rounder Rahim Moore and UFA TJ Ward

Maybe not 31 teams but outside of Tampa Bay, some pretty good teams seem to invest resources into a valuable position. I expect TB's defense to be much improved this year under Lovie.

Today the safety position is more important than the CB position

Top Bottom