bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
After horrible game, time to bench Brandon Weeden for Matt Cassel

1444607642-20151011_G3_0719.jpg

Is it time for a quarterback change from Brandon Weeden?

Absolutely. There's no question it's time, if only because this season is dying on the vine. While it may not be Weeden's fault entirely, the spark needed right now is not going to come from him. In fact you might make the case you would have an annoyed locker room if you didn't do something during the bye week.

You take a week off you get Matt Cassel ready and you hope Dez Bryant is ready. They can't put out another offensive effort like they did tonight. Just can't do it.

What else could spark this offense?

Dez Bryant. Other than that. They really have put themselves in a spot. A lot of it is circumstances beyond their control. They are too easy to defend. They don't have a single wide receiver that frightens the defense. They don't have any idea down the field whatsoever. That makes it next to impossible to move the ball. It's just 11 on 11 in tight quarters and there's zero vertical or horizontal pressure.

Are you surprised the Cowboys didn't throw more on first down?

Yes, I think they called a game today that did not suggest they thought they were massive underdogs. The rest of the league thought the Cowboys were very very big underdogs. They called the game offensively as if they were attempting to protect some sort of advantage they thought they had. It seemed to me they should have been a little more aggressive and perhaps risky when the game was still in doubt -- in the first maybe 2-3 quarters. They were very close to the vest and risk-averse and I don't know if the situation called for that.

What did you think of Greg Hardy's game?

I thought he was dominant, exactly the player he was in Carolina, which clearly was too much for any Patriots offensive lineman to handle one-on-one. And if there is a ray of sunshine in the storm, it would be that the pass rush is much improved with Hardy and should only get better if Randy Gregory can get back on board for (the New York Giants game after next week's bye). If you can consistently pressure the opposing quarterback, with any offense whatsoever, the second half of the season could be much improved.

How should Cowboys fans feel about Hardy?

My view is that I don't want to mix on field and off field any more than I have to. Speaking strictly on the field, he's here and he appears to be the type of defensive player this team hasn't had since DeMarcus Ware in his prime. If he is going to provide some media headache, you would hope he is worth the trouble. And honestly, the games that he has produced both before and after suspension would indicate he's a special football player.

Any other thoughts?

What a horrible game. I didn't understand going for a field goal down 20-3 in that portion of the game. I clearly remember coach Jason Garrett saying, 'We don't lay up at the Masters.' While Week 5 isn't the Masters, it seemed like an odd decision in a game where they had nothing to lose. The field goal deflated the stadium as much as anything. That was a disappointment from the head coach.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
FB is blowing up with everyone calling for Weeden to be replaced by Cassell

Maybe we will get lucky and give Cassell a try

Reaction score
Sometimes you say "Well, can't be worse" but it really could be. This isn't one of those times.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Garrett said after the game that they would use the bye to evaluate the QB position!

Woohoo

We might get Cassell at QB

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Sometimes you say "Well, can't be worse" but it really could be. This isn't one of those times.

and even if it is, it wouldn't matter cuz they aint winning with Weeden, that boy is too skerd to play QB!

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
FB is blowing up with everyone calling for Weeden to be replaced by Cassell

Maybe we will get lucky and give Cassell a try

At this juncture, it couldn't be any worse... doubtfully. Not claiming Cassell is a savior, but we know what we have in Weeden. Weeden appears to rather not be playing let alone starting.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And Dez is a scheduled to come back next game too

Weeden doesn't stand a chance now that Cassell will have Dez to make him look good

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I see it now
Cassell gets the start
Dez is back
Gregory is back
Hardy is blowing up Eli
We get our first win in the post Romo era and Weeden looks even worse

Cassell wins us a couple games and it shows just how inept Weeden was under center

And we finally get rid of him after the season

Reaction score
If memory serves, didn't Weeden and Dez basically have zero chemistry when they played together last year in the Arizona game? Which was kind of suprising considering how they played in college together.

I seem to remember them never really connecting and Weeden always beeing off/behind etc. Dez vocal about bitching too.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It was blatantly obvious they had no confidence in Weeden the moment they traded for Cassel.

Entire pooch screwing at the QB position. Weeden was shitty enough to force you to trade for Cassel during the season, but not shitty enough to make you inclined to sign Cassel and just cut Weeden back when Cassel was cut at the beginning of September.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It was blatantly obvious they had no confidence in Weeden the moment they traded for Cassel.
Yep. And that's why Cassel will start next game.

I do think Weeden has been sort of a convenient pinata the last couple games, though. People are so focused on him, they've sort of ignored how sub-par the rest of our team has been. Even including, yes, our legendary O-line. Maybe when Cassel comes in they'll realize it's not all the QB.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We have had failures everywhere

But when our QB is supposed to be the driving force it stands out more especially when he is just adequately mediocre

I think Cassell could come out and throw four picks and as long as he wins the game everyone would think he is our savior and tout his excellence

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
we have nothing left to lose. if he sucks, just put Weeden back in.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is true
taking a shot on Cassell can't provide any worse an outcome than Weeden

If Cassell comes in and wins us a game easily I will be even more pissed that Carrot Top threw away the last two games on Weeden

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
we have nothing left to lose. if he sucks, just put Weeden back in.

Kellen Moore........I'm driving his bandwagon. Jump on while you have the chance and there are empty seats.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'd take Cassell over Moore

At least he has proven he can win in the NFL

The one positive from all this is Weeden's career is likely over with the Cowboys if Cassell comes in and win games

And for all the Weeden supporters out there don't worry

I'm sure there is some team desperate enough out there to pick him up in the off season assuming they offer a better salary than Walmart

Last edited:

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure why we expect Cassel to succeed. Weeden really had limited options yesterday. Terrance Williams just doesn't get open. Beasley and Witten were smothered. Didn't leave much beyond the trademark dump passes.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
I just hope Cassell can come in and get some wins

Not going to happen. Our only chance is a run dominated ball control offense with Cassel as the QB. Our RB's are JAGS so I am not hopefuly.

Top Bottom