C

Cr122

Stock Report: Barry Church up and Tony Romo is down

Source

By Calvin Watkins

The Cowboys moved to 2-1 in the preseason as a result of their 16-14 victory over San Diego. The Chargers said they came after the Cowboys with blitzes and thought they were more physical than the visitors.

Jerry Jones agreed. There were two injuries, one of which gave someone quality playing time. Here's who played well and who didn't.

Stock Up

Martellus Bennett. The young tight end is still playing with a swollen left ankle, that looks like a softball. Bennett led the Cowboys in receiving yards with 40 and he also had four catches including a 19-yard touchdown reception.

Robert Brewster. Who said Tony Romo was scared about Brewster starting at right tackle. He had few mental mistakes, a false start in the fourth quarter was the only glaring mistake. Brewster did have some help on pass plays, but he also moved to left tackle in the second half and performed well.

Terence Newman. Of the three turnovers by the Cowboys defense, Newman had a nice interception, jumping the route near the goalline of a Philip Rivers pass. Newman has performed well in training camp and in the preseason.

Cletis Gordon. Fighting for a fourth cornerback spot, Gordon struggled at times, but he made a great play on the ball, something he's done all summer when he picked off a Jonathan Crompton pass in the fourth quarter.

Barry Church. Coaches tell young players when your number is called get ready. When Gerald Sensabaugh went down with a shoulder injury, Church moved to strong safety. He was credited with five tackles and a fumble recovery that setup the first touchdown of the preseason for the Cowboys. Church ran 80 yards on the return. His status for the 53-man roster just got stronger.

Stock Down

Tony Romo. He looked bad. He misfired two passes to Miles Austin, he threw off his backfoot, while under pressure leading to an interception. He was hurt by two drops, Jason Witten and Austin, and threw seven incompletions.

Miles Austin. Yes he did catch a touchdown. But he had a drop and of the five passes thrown his way he caught just two. Austin has done an excellent job in training camp, very good camp. But for one night. He didn't do so well.

Leon Williams. If you're looking for linebackers to cut this is one guy who might not be in Landover, Maryland. Williams looked lost on defense at times and when Marcus Mason scored on a four-yard run, Williams had a chance to blow him up. Williams moved behind Marcus Dixon who was engaged with a blocker.

Sean Lee. The second-round pick looked a little lost out there. He was behind on some passes in the flat and was late in covering the tight ends. He did play a lot and as the game wore on got better. We thought he was thinking a little too much and not reacting.

Herb Donaldson. On four carries he gained just eight yards. Donaldson had a chance to gain a first down by breaking a tackle by Nathan Vasher, but he didn't stay in bounds and stumbled out of bounds short of the first time. Donaldson later dropped a swing pass. He's battling Lonyae Miller for spot on the practice squad and took a step back.

C

Cr122

Sean Lee. The second-round pick looked a little lost out there. He was behind on some passes in the flat and was late in covering the tight ends. He did play a lot and as the game wore on got better. We thought he was thinking a little too much and not reacting.

Bullshit, Sean Lee played well, I think Calvin Watkins stock is down as a sports reporter.

C

Cr122

Barry Church. Coaches tell young players when your number is called get ready. When Gerald Sensabaugh went down with a shoulder injury, Church moved to strong safety. He was credited with five tackles and a fumble recovery that setup the first touchdown of the preseason for the Cowboys. Church ran 80 yards on the return. His status for the 53-man roster just got stronger.

Barry Church is going to be special.

C

Cr122

EXACTLY! Sean Lee showed excellant instinct.

For him not playing in a preseason game yet, he sure did play well.

The guys in on every tackle, he's going to be an excellent linebacker for us and in this league.

He showed last night his knee problems are in the past. Put in bold letterSEAN LEE WILL BE AN ALL-PRO LINEBACKER IN THIS LEAGUE

sbk92

Reaction score
I disagree on Lee. He played pretty well all things considered.

I think he was diagnosed with knee cancer after the game though.

C

Cr122

I disagree on Lee. He played pretty well all things considered.

I think he was diagnosed with knee cancer after the game though.

I'm not surprised you disagree with me about Lee. lol

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I've watched very little of the preseason, but the little I've seen has got me liking 3 players.

1. Cletis Gordon.
2. Bryan McCann.
3. Leon Williams.

I haven't watched a lot of Barry Church.

C

Cr122

I've watched very little of the preseason, but the little I've seen has got me liking 3 players.

1. Cletis Gordon.
2. Bryan McCann.
3. Leon Williams.

I haven't watched a lot of Barry Church.

Barry Church is good.

sbk92

Reaction score
What I'm convinced of after these three games is that we lack the offensive line to contend for a title.

They weren't good enough last year and nothing's changed this year.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Leon Williams had a rough game last night.

I read that in the game thread at one point, then I get a link and the fist play is him making a nice play on a screen pass I believe.

sbk92

Reaction score
Leon Williams would have had a gift interception if Jason Williams wasn't a complete moron and not leveled him as he caught it.

But he was missing tackles and late on plays. The difference between him and Lee was pretty clear.

sbk92

Reaction score
I noticed there's a bug with this new version of Vbulletin. Sometimes it will repeat a word depending on how it falls in the body of the post. Like my last post, I didn't type "not" twice. I see this here and on C-F.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I noticed there's a bug with this new version of Vbulletin. Sometimes it will repeat a word depending on how it falls in the body of the post. Like my last post, I didn't type "not" twice. I see this here and on C-F.

Yeah, I've noticed a thing or two myself.

I'm still waiting for VBulletin to come out with a list of bugs and fixes for those.

sbk92

Reaction score
I would release McGee. The guy can't play. Rubber stamped it, no erasies.

Top Bottom