Reaction score
By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
jmachota@dallasnews.com
7:43 pm on May 15, 2013 | Permalink

GRAPEVINE – Felix Jones’ time with the Dallas Cowboys came to an end on Tuesday when the 2008 first-round draft pick signed a one-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Jones’ best season came in 2010 when he rushed for 800 yards, caught 48 passes for 450 yards and scored twice. But he was disappointing the last two seasons, combining for 977 rushing yards and four touchdowns.

The 26-year-old looked much slower last season and seemed to lack the elite athleticism he once possessed. Jones also started the 2012 season off on the wrong foot, failing the team’s conditioning test at the start of training camp.

But Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said on Wednesday that he thinks the former Arkansas standout still has the ability to contribute in the NFL.

“The guy played for us in a significant role,” Stephen Jones said. “I still say that’s very successful. I’d also say running backs, this day and time, a guy can be very successful in his first contract as a running back and not necessarily sign the second one. The shelf life of a running back, unfortunately is not as long as some other positions. We were very pleased with the career Felix had here with us. You always hate when it comes to a close. No regrets there.”

It seemed evident that the Cowboys would not re-sign Felix Jones after they drafted Oklahoma State running back Joseph Randle last month in the fifth round.

Felix Jones, who started 23 games in Dallas, will get a chance to face his old team at least twice next year, with the first matchup coming on Oct. 20 in Philadelphia.

“You know what we think of Felix, being a Razorback,” said Stephen Jones, an Arkansas graduate. “He made a lot of great plays for us. Obviously, we wish him luck, except when the Cowboys and Eagles play.”

Reaction score
God I need to find another team to root for. Steve is just as big an idiot blowhard as his father.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My son can't wait til the day Stephen passes and we can hire a real GM.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My son can't wait til the day Stephen passes and we can hire a real GM.

:sad Stop it man. I've condemned my son to this bullshit and the poor kid's only 14. I actually had some hope for Stephen but the more shit that comes out of his mouth, the more I realize he's his father's son. My hate for the Jones' grows by the day.

And fuck anyone who claims we should find another team.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'll be a Cowboys fan until I die. I just don't buy any more merchandise or go to games. And I'm not raising my sons to be Cowboys fans. For their first few years, I was buying them Cowboys t-shirts, footballs, teddy bears, etc. Not anymore.... they can be a fan of whoever they like.

Reaction score
It'd be refreshing if someone, anyone, in this organization ever said something that they honestly believed to be true.

Their preoccupation with PR is tough to take.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Of course they're pleased.

It doesn't take much to please or impress that imbecile family, as evidenced by the vast number of ridiculous contracts they've handed out over the years.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
It'd be refreshing if someone, anyone, in this organization ever said something that they honestly believed to be true.

Exactly. I feel insulted when they keep feeding us all this bullshit. I'd actually have respect for the Jones' if one of them just said, "well, Felix wasn't a great first round pick", or "we fucked up by giving _______, ______, and _____ contract extensions". Fuck the Jones family.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
....if Stephen had killed Felix - "OMG WHY GIVE HIM BULLETIN BOARD MATERIAL"

I'm assuming they have bulletin boards in the trainers room.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Exactly. I feel insulted when they keep feeding us all this bullshit. I'd actually have respect for the Jones' if one of them just said, "well, Felix wasn't a great first round pick", or "we fucked up by giving _______, ______, and _____ contract extensions". Fuck the Jones family.

Exactly!

I don't expect them to bash players, but gawd damn.....at least try to be honest to some degree.

"Felix did some good things for us. It didn't quite turn out the way we had hoped, but he did help us win some games and he has talent. We wish him the best going foward"

Is it really that hard to do?

Just like when they tried to tell us how good they were happy with the O-line and how they improved. They didn't improve. They were just as pitiful at the end of the year as they were in the beginning.

Reaction score
....if Stephen had killed Felix - "OMG WHY GIVE HIM BULLETIN BOARD MATERIAL"

I'm assuming they have bulletin boards in the trainers room.
Give him all the bulletin board material Stephen can spew. Not scared.

mdawg65

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Exactly!

I don't expect them to bash players, but gawd damn.....at least try to be honest to some degree.

"Felix did some good things for us. It didn't quite turn out the way we had hoped, but he did help us win some games and he has talent. We wish him the best going foward"

Is it really that hard to do?

Just like when they tried to tell us how good they were happy with the O-line and how they improved. They didn't improve. They were just as pitiful at the end of the year as they were in the beginning.

I think the problem with the Jones right now is there are facing a mountain of criticism and their "gun shy" reaction is to spin the story. Far better for them to provide non-specific quotes and let the draft pick fade away in history.

Really not a fan of hearing a Jones speak for this team.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'll be a Cowboys fan until I die. I just don't buy any more merchandise or go to games. And I'm not raising my sons to be Cowboys fans. For their first few years, I was buying them Cowboys t-shirts, footballs, teddy bears, etc. Not anymore.... they can be a fan of whoever they like.

Sons typically try to emulate their fathers. I think you should take dbair's suggestion and quit following the club.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I wonder why he felt the need to comment on the signing at all. Was he asked a direction question about it?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

No shit!! All the spin is why I can't stand to follow politics but when I try to get an escape by following the Cowboys, I get fed the same BS. They're so god damned afraid of the truth over there Im not sure they even know what it is anymore.

This is the most candid comment I've heard since Bill Parcells was here:

Cowboys RB coach Gary Brown: Joseph Randle lasted until the fifth round because the draft isn’t a perfect science

IRVING – Dallas Cowboys running backs coach Gary Brown said over the weekend that he was surprised Joseph Randle was still available in the fifth round of last month’s NFL Draft.

But Brown, a former Houston Oilers running back who’s in his first year with the Cowboys, is glad Dallas made the selection. He just can’t explain why nine running backs were drafted before the Oklahoma State standout who rushed for 38 touchdowns over the last two seasons.

“It’s a lottery,” Brown said. “I don’t know why Terrell Davis slipped to the sixth and he had a 2,000-yard season. You don’t know why Arian Foster never got drafted. Things just happen. This whole draft thing, it ain’t a perfect science. We make mistakes, so that’s what it is.”

Brown said he doesn’t know what Randle’s exact role will be in his first season. But it shouldn’t surprise anyone if the 6-0, 198-pounder ends up being the Cowboys’ No. 2 option behind DeMarco Murray.

However, Randle’s immediate impact is difficult to predict because he’s wearing a cast on his right hand. He had surgery on his thumb but Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said he thinks Randle will be able to participate in some action during OTAs next week. During last weekend’s rookie minicamp, Randle was able to participate in some of the running back drills and work on his conditioning off to the side with Cowboys trainers.

“I think he is very into it mentally,” Brown said. “He wants to be out there. His drive, his determination, you’ve got to hold him back. So, that’s a good thing. Hopefully, when he gets his cast off, he will be ready to go. He’ll be in great shape. We’ll be ready to see what he can do.”

Source

Top Bottom