Reaction score
OXNARD, Calif. – Cowboys VP Stephen Jones, the team’s director of player personnel, had just one word to describe Tyrone Crawford’s season-ending Achilles injury.

“Crushing,” he said Monday morning. “Absolutely crushing.”

Jones, who saw the entire injury develop Sunday evening from the makeshift training camp tower in between the two practice fields here in Oxnard, said Crawford’s versatility made him such a key asset to the team’s 4-3 scheme.

“He’s a guy that can play end and tackle,” Jones said. “It just makes you sick because we really had high hopes for him this year.”

As for a replacement, even though the Cowboys still have an open spot on the 90-man roster, Jones said it’s unlikely the team will go out and sign a player right away, at least not one of the bigger-named ends on the market such as John Abraham, Jamaal Anderson and Juqua Parker.

“The guy that will replace Crawford is already on the roster,” Jones said. “We certainly like the guys on our roster better than anyone that is out there.”

The Cowboys signed veteran Anthony Hargrove back in May but released him last month.

Behind starters DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer, Crawford was slotted as the next guy at end. Now, that spot will likely revert to Kyle Wilber, who is making the transition from outside linebacker in the 3-4 scheme. Expect more from Ben Bass, who is playing more defensive tackle but has some
versatility, like Crawford, to play both spots.

Other ends on the roster include Cameron Sheffield and Monte Taylor. And perhaps, the Cowboys could use some other versatile players such as outside linebacker Alex Albright and defensive tackle Jason Hatcher to slide out to end if needed.

Reaction score
Far and away our front offices biggest weakness is being able to fairly assess in-house talent.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Translation: No cap space to sign anyone out there?

But Anderson did go to Arkansas, does have talent if mediocre production, and would be cheap.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Incredible. I can guarantee if we cut all of our end depth tomorrow they would not be hot commodities anywhere else.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I've been reminded of how miserable it is to be a Cowboys fan.

It's like waking up from a good dream. I want to go back to sleep.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That's a depressing response from the front office.

Yes it is. Should have drafted a DT in the 2nd or 3rd round instead of the usual TE and CB, as Midswat said.

Games are won and lost in the trenches. What part of that is so hard to understand.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Games are won and lost in the trenches. What part of that is so hard to understand.

JJ has never accepted this fact. Apparently Stephen is just as dysfunctional when it come to priorities and talent evaluation.

Any guess as to how many catches and yards Escobar will have this year? We will not be able to run the ball or pressure the QB and end up hovering around .500 again.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Incredible. I can guarantee if we cut all of our end depth tomorrow they would not be hot commodities anywhere else.

I think Lissemore would be scooped up pretty quick. Ben Bass is interesting, wouldnt be in the same demand that Lissmore was though IMO.

I do think alot of 3-4 and 4-3 teams would look at Kyle Wilbur as well.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes it is. Should have drafted a DT in the 2nd or 3rd round instead of the usual TE and CB, as Midswat said.

We didnt draft a CB in the 3rd rd.

Reaction score
I think Lissemore would be scooped up pretty quick. Ben Bass is interesting, wouldnt be in the same demand that Lissmore was though IMO.

I do think alot of 3-4 and 4-3 teams would look at Kyle Wilbur as well.

You're just listing human beings that exist

Reaction score
If only the Cowboys training staff could play defense. Opposing offenses would be decimated by hamstring pulls.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
“He’s a guy that can play end and tackle,” Jones said. “It just makes you sick because we really had high hopes for him this year and no clear-cut replacements on the roster.” he said.

Top Bottom