Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
However, since its your site, I'm sure you can find my old posts about Garrett, quote them back to me and have a field day showing me what a dipshit I am.
I have exact equal search abilities you have. And if you don't care enough to defend your statements, why even make them? Why not just say "look guys, I'm just a dumbass Garrett fan" and leave it at that?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
what a dumpster fire this thread turned into huh?
I think anytime the thread title predicts any team is "obviously going to the Super Bowl" the fire sort of starts right there.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I have exact equal search abilities you have. And if you don't care enough to defend your statements, why even make them? Why not just say "look guys, I'm just a dumbass Garrett fan" and leave it at that?

Because I was noting my position re Garrett in response to Rynies post. Since we've already had these conversations regarding my take on Garrett ad nauseam, I didn't feel the need to do so yet again.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Since we've already had these conversations regarding my take on Garrett ad nauseam, I didn't feel the need to do so yet again.
Well since apparently I missed it, and you made what I think is a new claim regarding it, I'd hoped you would humor us with at least, a condensed version.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well since apparently I missed it, and you made what I think is a new claim regarding it, I'd hoped you would humor us with at least, a condensed version.

Recently, I spent about an hour trying to find my original posts because I wanted to reference what I originally wrote so I wasn't revising history and to see exactly what kind of crazy shit I may have wrote. I seem to recall my primary point being the ability to work with jeri plus continuity, student of the game, etc but my memory ain't worth a shit these days, so who knows.

The consensus here seems to be that Garrett is an absolutely empty chair of a head coach and while I fully agree with that assertion as it relates to jeri as GM, I'm not ready to buy into that extreme** view as it relates to Garrett. It may be true, I'm not calling anyone out, I just find it hard to believe he brings absolutely nothing and any winning done here is not only in spite of jeri but also in spite of Garrett.

Its quite the feat if true and this doesn't strike me as a controversial observation to make but what do I know?

** don't be offended or provoked by my use of this word. Hostiles cult has the extreme view that Garrett is going to be the next Landry, I'd say the opposite end of that extreme applies here and both ends and all sides in between can be found at the zone. Its just something I noticed and got a chuckle from when I was able to go to all three forums prior to my banishment from the fiefdom of hostile.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Parcells put together a decent team and left it for Wade. Wade could have had his team in the Super Bowl the year they went 13-3. That team quit on Wade and Garrett takes over. Garrett looks like he might be a decent coach going 5-3 with that team the last half of the year. Was it Garrett or was it Jerry telling the team that everybody was playing for their job?

Garrett inherits a decent team. A prob bowl caliber QB, and a HOF TE and DE with some other pieces in place. Not the best roster in the NFL but good enough to be playing for the division title 3 years in a row even after some real blunderous losses. What does he do with the a one game win and you win the division? He chokes 3 years in a row and finishes 8-8. In those 3 years the team loses games each year that no other coach in NFL history would have lost. So just based on how those 3 seasons play out we can assume for sake of argument that a good NFL coach would have won 3 straight division titles and probably won between 9-11 games each of those seasons with the same roster.

Then we go 12-4 on the shoulders of Murray setting the all time franchise rushing record for a season. Everything goes well that year. Romo has his best year ever. Dez is on fire. The running game is dynamite. No injuries derail the season. The Garrett supporters are happy and boasting about the great build finally coming together. Just wait till next year.

So the next year we let Murray walk and grab McFadden off the trash heap and do some other RB dumpster diving for the continuation of the great build. Romo gets hurt and the rest of the season is a total disaster. Behind this great OL and with the rest of the roster filled with players acquired as the great build and master plan is almost complete the QB guru head coach can only muster one win with 2 different veteran QB's filling in for the injured Romo.

That brings us to this year. Due to coaching incompetence we have the #4 pick in the first round. We take the best player in the draft, Zeke. Then we try to trade up for Paxton Lynch and Jerry cant sleep that night when he cant pull it off and says in public he should have just paid more to go get Lynch. He's afraid that mistake will come back to haunt him for years. We pass on other QB's then try to go after Cook to no avail. Finally after we get almost to the 5th round Dak is picked at #135. No other team drafted Dak so we take a flyer out of desperation because we need a QB on the roster. We didnt select him because we had him rated so highly. No team did and neither did we.

Is there some grand plan that the Princeton football genius has to make this team a perennial winner? Not really. There wasnt even a grand plan for putting together the OL. It fell in place. Tyron Smith was a no brainer when he was drafted. There was some trading down to get Frederick so it could be argued that was a priority, but we all know the OL needed help and a center was a need. Zach Martin was taken because we couldnt get one of the defensive players we wanted by pick #16 so taking him wasnt part of any grand plan. He was just the best player left on the board at that point in the draft. There was value placed on the OL which is a good thing, but most likely because of Romo's age and being faced with the reality of having to get him some protection to get through a season.

Was Dez part of any grand plan? No, we got him where we did because other teams passed on him because of off the field issues. The perfect Jerry gamble pic.

Byron Jones was a need pick because over 5 years into the great build the defense was horrible and if anything maybe even taking steps backward as the grand plan was coming together. A good pick for sure. But part of some grand plan by the genius? Cmon'

So this year we get lucky with Dak. After watching that debacle of a season last year there isnt a sane person on the planet that would say Dak is doing what he is because of great coaching alone. Its happened to soon. And the beauty of it is that its happened so quickly he hasnt had a chance to get screwed up by Garrett. Coaching is going on, but its the player thats making the difference, not some inept head coach that has shown just last year with 2 different veteran QB's he cant make any real difference.

Zeke was the best player in the draft and we got him because of coaching incompetence last year. Zeke may even be the MVP this year. Was he part of the grand plan? Nope. Reality hit them in the face last year after the dumpster diving for RB's didnt pan out.

Is there any great build going on. Any grand plan to build a perennial winner? Nope. If anything its still flying by the seat of the pants as its ever been with Jerry. Only now we have Stephen who seemingly has a better grip on finances and doesnt seem to get emotionally attached to players like Jerry always has. Im sure Garrett has some idea of what he would like to do, but some grand scheme? Its been the luck of the draw as much as anything with this team during his tenure.

We have a history of Garrett's coaching ability to look at. And Garrett is no boy wonder as a coach. No Tom Landry or Don Shula. No Vince Lombardi, Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, or George Halas. At best he's just an average NFL coach that is good at finding other coaches cliches or quotes to use for motivating his team. Instead of using a nameless jersey on a mannequin,or 17 inches quotes from another coach I'd rather he use some creativity and originality and come up with his own, but maybe he just doesnt have it in that department.

Maybe Garrett is just a typical coach that needs some luck. Needs good players to fall in his lap to have success. And if he gets enough good or great players he can be the orchestra leader that just doesnt mess it up. Plenty of guys can coach that way. But there arent many like Belicek who can coach with what they have and be creative enough to be the difference maker every year.

There is no great build based on any grand plan for sustained success. The Cowboys lucked into Zeke and lucked into Dak. There is no 2nd coming of Tom Landry going on in Dallas. So we better enjoy this run while it lasts and hope we can go all the way because it could be just one of those years like Carolina had last year. We've had 12-4 then 4-12.

So yes, Yim, its very possible that with Jerry the GM and Garrett the head coach we are having a great year in spite of those guys. Or maybe not in spite of but certainly not because of their great work or any grand plan coming together. So just enjoy because it might be another 20+ years before we see it again.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Was it Garrett or was it Jerry telling the team that everybody was playing for their job?

good question, who knows...jeri keeps everything deliberately obfuscated making it difficult to know what exactly goes on behind the scenes.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Zach Martin was taken because we couldnt get one of the defensive players we wanted by pick #16 so taking him wasnt part of any grand plan

It may not have been part of a master plan concerning the line but it was a great pick and someone deserves kudos for talking the drunk owner/gm from picking Manzeil because we know thats what he wanted to do and would have done if he hadn't been convinced to restrain his urges.

That pick right there might be the biggest reason for the change in fortunes lately because jeri would probably still be clinging to Manziel, the line would be missing a great lineman and they likely would have never draft Dak.

Perhaps the biggest change since Garrett took over is that it appears jeris influence has diminished and continues to do so, but that may have nothing to do with Garrett, maybe Stephen is the one who deserves the kudos, who knows

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yim, its very possible that with Jerry the GM and Garrett the head coach we are having a great year in spite of those guys.

ty sir, that's what I thought I understood the view of many folks to be here

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
good question, who knows...jeri keeps everything deliberately obfuscated making it difficult to know what exactly goes on behind the scenes.

Jerry still talks a lot but I doubt he has that much to do with a lot of whats going on. He just wants people to think he is running it all. It looks like they have a pretty good scouting department and personnel department now.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
It may not have been part of a master plan concerning the line but it was a great pick and someone deserves kudos for talking the drunk owner/gm from picking Manzeil because we know thats what he wanted to do and would have done if he hadn't been convinced to restrain his urges.

That pick right there might be the biggest reason for the change in fortunes lately because jeri would probably still be clinging to Manziel, the line would be missing a great lineman and they likely would have never draft Dak.

Perhaps the biggest change since Garrett took over is that it appears jeris influence has diminished and continues to do so, but that may have nothing to do with Garrett, maybe Stephen is the one who deserves the kudos, who knows

Yes, not taking Manziel was a big deal. And that most likely indicates Jerry isnt pulling all the strings as so many claim. And is it all Stephen or a mix of him and Jason and others? Who really knows.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jerry still talks a lot but I doubt he has that much to do with a lot of whats going on. He just wants people to think he is running it all. It looks like they have a pretty good scouting department and personnel department now.

I agree and its refreshing, lets just hope he doesn't get his back up over not feeling he's getting enough credit and do something stupid. There seems to be a recurring theme that when the team appears to be in a place to make a deep run, jeri feels the need to make some big move like trading for Roy Williams, Bringing in Owens, signing Hardy. I cant say for sure those were his moves but they sure seem to fit in his wheelhouse.

Top Bottom