dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
:towel

DMN: Roger Staubach: Behind ‘fantastic’ Dak Prescott, Cowboys ‘obviously’ going to Super Bowl

When Roger Staubach was drafted 129th in the 1964 NFL draft, he was drafted as what was called a "future pick." Staubach still had a season to go at the U.S. Naval Academy, after winning the Heisman Trophy his 1963 junior year.
He also would go on to serve in Vietnam.

The Cowboys were just locking him in for the future.

Dak Prescott was drafted 52 years and six picks later than Staubach - 135th overall in the fourth round of the 2016 draft. Yes, he'd sign with the Cowboys immediately and make his way to training camp just months after the draft. But for all intents and purposes, he, too, was a future pick. Perhaps he'd be the future of a franchise with an aging quarterback.

Prescott's future came a little faster than Staubach's did.

Staubach can't believe how fast the 23-year-old has quarterbacked the Cowboys to 8-1.

"Dak is so mature," Staubach said Thursday. "It's just amazing what he's done. Being an old NFL quarterback - you just don't know until he gets into that situation. He did it in college but you don't know if he could transfer that to NFL but he has."

Staubach started his career later than Prescott - he was 27 as a rookie when he backed up Craig Morton, playing in six games but starting just one. He threw a single touchdown and two picks that season. But by 1970, he'd seized Morton's job going on a Dak-like 10-game win streak through the 1971 season to a Dallas Super Bowl victory. Prescott hasn't done that yet. Staubach thinks "little Dakker," as he calls him, can.

"Little Dakker's playing fantastic football," Staubach said.

"I am obviously a big Cowboys fan, and we are going to the Super Bowl this year. I'm not sure who we're going to play yet ... but it is fun watching the Cowboys. It's a fun season."

Staubach also spoke to Prescott's poise.

"He makes good decisions, he makes quick decisions, he's just composed," Staubach said. "You've got to transfer your confidence to your teammates to be a successful quarterback because it's a team game - and he can do that. Tony did that too. They're both really good quarterbacks."

Staubach relates to Romo watching from the sidelines. When he separated his shoulder in 1972, Morton returned behind center until a divisional playoff game vs. San Francisco, when Staubach engineered two late-game touchdown drives for the 30-28 comeback.

"It's kind of like how Tony feels," Staubach said of his 1972 season. "You're really competitive and you want to play, but the team's doing well and you support the team.

"Dallas is sitting there with two really good quarterbacks right now in Dak and Tony. Tony says 'Hey, this is Dak's team right now,' but if something would happen, you never know. We've got Tony and that's what happened with me. I came in [in the playoffs after being hurt] and did real well."

For Staubach, who still calls Dallas home and roots on the team he spent his whole career with, he just wants the Cowboys winning. It's about the team, as Romo and Prescott have emphasized repeatedly through the season and this week.

"Worst case I want to be 14-2 going to the playoffs," Staubach said. "I'm a fan of both these guys so it's kind of hard. Tony's a class act as you know by his statement two nights ago. But they just want to win. I just want the Cowboys to win."

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Never even heard from Roger in the midst of our 2014 run. I wonder why? No praise for Romo then, Roger? No bold Super Bowl prediction?

Interesting.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
And half of this board will be miserable because they'd rather hate Garrett more than win a Lombardi.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And half of this board will be miserable because they'd rather hate Garrett more than win a Lombardi.
Bull Shit. We can still hate Garrett - legitimately I might add - AND enjoy a sixth Lombardi. The two aren't mutually exclusive. We'd be celebrating that finally we got a group of players who could overcome the refs, the opponent, AND Garrett's idiocy.

But most of us I bet, would rather see Jerry DIE before we win one. So here's to that fucker kicking the bucket within the next two months.

Hopefully there aren't many like you, who stupidly think Garrett's a good coach, and idiotically credit him for what we're seeing this year.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score

Not me, if I can watch Six Gun Switzer hoist a Lombardi, I can stand Garrett doing it.

Reaction score
:lol at the idea of a Garrett lead Cowboys team winning a Super Bowl.

You guys are retarded. Staubach included.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score

Yep, thats quite the dilemma. Garrett has earned that hate. But if they win it all he wont be the first person in life to get some honor or joy for something undeserved. A 6th Lombardi would be great no matter what. Seeing him smiling and clapping wont take anything away from me enjoying it.

Reaction score
Yep, thats quite the dilemma. Garrett has earned that hate. But if they win it all he wont be the first person in life to get some honor or joy for something undeserved. A 6th Lombardi would be great no matter what. Seeing him smiling and clapping wont take anything away from me enjoying it.

Trent Dilfer as winning QB deciding the Baltimore Ravens winning SB is what comes to mind. The less he does, the more chances a team has to win.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We all know Garrett isn't coded for spontaneity like that.

But I can't even imagine the turbo-clapping and shit-eating grinning that would occur if we actually won.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Y'all have problems. As much as I hate Garrett, he's doing a hell of a job this year. Only people blinded by hate would give someone else credit to some of the choices Garrett has made to help us win. I guess it was all Linehan that decided to go for it on 4th a 1, and do a fake punt against the eagles, right

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Y'all have problems. As much as I hate Garrett, he's doing a hell of a job this year. Only people blinded by hate would give someone else credit to some of the choices Garrett has made to help us win. I guess it was all Linehan that decided to go for it on 4th a 1, and do a fake punt against the eagles, right

It is over the top here. I totally believe jeri is an empty chair of a GM that offers absolutely nothing (besides his money, which he is required to spend per the salary floor) but I don't believe Garrett is an empty chair at the head coach position and think he is part of the positive changes we've seen since he became head coach. Having said that, I'm not a fan of his robotic speeches and believe he has to be a walk around coach because he cant compete with his peers when it comes to play calling on game day.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score

Ok, so for 2 plays you're swinging from Red's jock now?

In reality a lot of coaches could coach this team and win. I think the best thing we can say about Garrett this year is he isnt screwing things up. And we havent needed a coach that is a difference maker. We've watched him for years and know his history. He lucked into Zeke because the team got the #4 pick in the draft because of Garrett's incompetence last year. We got lucky with Dak. After that steaming pile of a mess last year with our QB situation is there any reason whatsoever to think Dak is having this kind of rookie year because of Garrett?

Dont get me wrong. This year has been great. But Im not naive enough to think that Garrett suddenly turned some coaching corner and is now a good or great coach. This year is all because we got the best player in the draft and then got lucky with a QB that every team passed on till pick #135.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
It is over the top here.

Is it really? After back to back to back 8-8 seasons where each of those years the team should have won the division and then that debacle last year going 4-12 as if the team had no coaching staff?

Top Bottom