Cythim

Reaction score
I've gotta quit listening to the fucking "experts," they helped talk me out of starting Tolbert and now I'm gonna lose.

At least I can blame it on Vick's injury. Time to go get Sanchez!

C

Cr122

Biro: Tony Romo worse than Kyle Orton? Fantasy football can be unpredictable
10:49 PM CDT on Monday, October 4, 2010

Column by LADD BIRO / Special Contributor to SportsDayDFW.com

Ladd Biro
Archive | Blog | Bio | E-mail
Rankings: QB | RB | WR | TE | K | Def.
Top 100
Four weeks into the 2010 NFL season, the Kansas City Chiefs are the only undefeated team still standing, with an assist from this week’s bye. No disrespect, but who would be shocked if Don Shula and his ’72 Dolphins have already popped the champagne?

Meanwhile, in Fantasyland – where this columnist resides – Kyle Orton has out-performed Drew Brees, Matt Schaub and Tony Romo, and Michael Vick’s injury is cause for mourning.

Chris Johnson has almost fallen out of the top 10 ranks among running backs, which now features a former practice squad player (Arian Foster), a presumed draft bust (Darren McFadden ), a rookie on a winless team (Jahvid Best) and a 7th-round draft pick and Denver castoff (Peyton Hillis).

Among wideouts, the players to own thus far include Brandon Lloyd , Mark Clayton, Kevin Walter and, of course, the incomparable…Austin Collie.

Can you imagine the ridicule you would have endured had you drafted a roster comprised of such newcomers, no-names and has-beens?

To be sure, just as Maurice Jones-Drew showed that it’s too early to give up on slow-starting fantasy studs, there’s plenty of time for the shooting stars to fall back to Earth. Just ask your neighborhood Jay Cutler owner how quickly your fantasy fortunes can change.

All of which is to say that a losing record at this point of the season, though undesirable, is not irreversible. Bye weeks, an unrelenting parade of injuries and the temperamental fantasy gods are sure to wreak havoc on your high-flying competitors at some point.

Keep tweaking your roster, concentrate on making wise starting lineup decisions and, if all else fails, cross your fingers. As we’ve seen already, anything can happen in today’s NFL.

FREE AGENT PICKS AND PANS
To win a fantasy championship, you need to start with a good draft. But filling in your roster throughout the season with the right free agents can also make a big difference. Here’s a look at a few players worth considering, and others who would look better in someone else’s line-up.

Catch ‘em while you can
Sam Bradford, QB, Rams – It’s hard not to be impressed by what this rookie is doing in, and for, St. Louis. He’s tossed a touchdown or two in every game, and aside from a three-interception debacle in his debut, he’s kept the turnovers to a minimum. With a favorable schedule ahead, owners with bye-week or injury issues could do worse than Bradford, especially with the Lions on tap next.

Ryan Torain, RB, Redskins – He looked great on his 12-yard scoring rumble, and finished with 70 rushing yards on the day. With Clinton Portis adding a groin injury to his wrist problems, Torain should stay busy for at least another week, and possibly much longer.

Michael Bush, RB, Raiders – If Darren McFadden’s hamstring injury forces him out of action, Bush can be a decent proxy in his absence. Oakland is actually moving the ball this season, and Bush is a battering ram at the goal-line.

Brandon Lloyd, WR, Broncos – I had reservations about him earlier this season, but Lloyd has consistently been one of Kyle Orton’s favorite targets. And this year, that’s a very good thing. Despite his status as a Top 10 wideout after four weeks, Lloyd is still available in more than a third of fantasy leagues. (For that matter, Orton is still available in many leagues, too!)

Don’t be fooled
Kevin Kolb, QB, Eagles – It’s too early to project when Michael Vick will return from his rib cartilage injury, but it’s not too soon to know that Kolb will yield the job back the minute Vick is ready. Kolb has been unimpressive in limited playing time this season, so despite the weapons at his disposal, he can’t be counted on in the interim.

Laurence Maroney, RB, Broncos –Even if Knowshon Moreno doesn’t return as expected in Week 5, Maroney’s performance since being traded to Denver – capped by Sunday’s five-yard rushing effort against the Titans – confirms his expendability, especially with Baltimore up next.

Derrick Ward, RB, Texans – The box score shows 80 rushing yards and a touchdown. Look closer and you’ll see that the bulk of his damage was done while Arian Foster was being disciplined for missing a team meeting. Ward may not even be the best handcuff to Foster, as Steve Slaton remains above him on the depth chart.

Ladd Biro is a syndicated fantasy football columnist and host of Sporting News Radio’s weekly Fantasy Files show (Saturdays, 8-9 am CT). Follow his daily fantasy advice at the Fantasy Fools blog (fantasy-fools.blogspot.com) and via Twitter (@ladd_biro).

• • •

sbk92

Reaction score
The Vick injury, and now combined with McCoy, is forking my fantasy teams.

C

Cr122

Biro: Brandon Jackson a good fantasy football pick against the Cowboys this week
05:45 PM CDT on Friday, November 5, 2010

Column by LADD BIRO / Special Contributor to SportsDayDFW.com

Ladd Biro
Archive | Blog | Bio | E-mail
Rankings: QB | RB | WR | TE | K | Def.
Top 100
Wondering whether or not to start Aaron Rodgers and Adrian Peterson , or bench Matt Moore and Jerome Harrison? The network bozos specialize in that kind of advice. If you’re looking for real help with your starting lineup conundrums, read on.

Here are my picks to roll, and get rolled, in Week 9 of the 2010 season.

Watch ‘em roll
Michael Vick , QB, Eagles vs. Colts: You’ve held onto Vick throughout his extended rehab for a reason. Now get him back in your starting lineup against an Indy defense that is vulnerable to mobile quarterbacks. All signs point to DeSean Jackson (concussion) re-joining him in the huddle as well, so we could be in for an old-fashioned shootout in the Indy-Philly contest.

Brandon Jackson, RB, Packers vs. Cowboys: Over the last several games, Jackson has distanced himself from John Kuhn as the primary ball-carrier in Green Bay’s offense, while Dallas’ defense has imploded. Jackson offers a nice change-of-pace for the Packers’ high-octane passing attack, and he should reach the end zone at least once.

BenJarvus Green-Ellis, RB, Patriots at Browns: He has scored six TDs over the past five games, including two last week against the vaunted Vikings run defense. Though Cleveland has allowed only a single rushing score all season, Green-Ellis could double that, especially if New England’s passing attack continues to struggle.

Mike Williams, WR, Buccaneers at Falcons: Atlanta has surrendered three passing scores apiece in their last two games. That’s great news for Josh Freeman and his favorite target, who just notched the first 100-yard game of his rookie season.

Davone Bess, WR, Dolphins at Ravens: Bess has produced consistently, if unspectacularly, over the past five games (33 receptions for 335 yards and 3 TDs during that span). Miami’s running game is struggling, so look for its No. 2 wideout to be a major part of the game plan against a Ravens secondary that coughed up four passing scores to the Bills prior to the bye.

More thumbs up (excluding the no-brainers): QBs Matt Ryan , Joe Flacco , Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler ; RBs LaDainian Tomlinson , LeSean McCoy, Fred Jackson, Matt Forte , Darren McFadden, Jamaal Charles, Thomas Jones , Peyton Hillis; WRs Greg Jennings , Patrick Crayton, Johnny Knox, Wes Welker, Steve Smith (NYG), Mike Wallace, Pierre Garcon , Steve Johnson.

Roll ‘em back
Matt Schaub, QB, Texans vs. Chargers: He has thrown for one or fewer TDs, and 201 or fewer yards, in four of seven games to date. Now Schaub faces the league’s top-ranked pass defense, which has also amassed 25 sacks (2nd most in the NFL).

Jahvid Best, RB, Lions vs. Jets: Kevin Smith and Best split carries evenly last week, despite assurances from the rookie that his turf toe had fully healed. Now Smith is dealing with soreness in the same knee that knocked him out of action last season, so Best should again get the lion’s share (get it?) of the carries this week. Still, in a shared backfield against one of the league’s stingiest run defenses, Best could be in for another rough outing.

Seahawks RBs vs. Giants: Both Marshawn Lynch and Justin Forsett were awful in Oakland last week, and neither is likely to penetrate a Giants run defense that has been playing lights-out recently. Don’t be surprised if Seattle is shut out completely in this contest.

Steve Smith, WR, Panthers vs. Saints: He shouldered the blame for Carolina’s loss to the Rams in Week 8, but it won’t be his fault this time around. New Orleans’ pass rush will smother Matt Moore, while its ball-hawking secondary blankets his best receiver all afternoon.

Braylon Edwards, WR, Jets at Lions: Detroit’s pass defense is a lot better than you think, while New York is coming off an embarrassing shutout by Green Bay. Edwards caught just one pass last week, and he should continue his struggles Sunday as the Jets focus on pounding the Lions with their running game.

More thumbs down: QBs Carson Palmer, Brett Favre , Ryan Fitzpatrick , Matt Stafford, Jon Kitna, Mark Sanchez , Jason Campbell; RBs Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson , Beanie Wells, Jonathan Stewart , Felix Jones , Marion Barber , Chris Ivory; WRs Roy Williams, Mike Williams (SEA), Jerricho Cotchery, Jacoby Jones , Darrius Heyward-Bey, Lee Evans, Darrius Heyward-Bey.

Taking a flier
James Jones, WR, Packers vs. Cowboys: With Donald Driver declared out due to his injured quad, Jones will start opposite Greg Jennings against a Dallas secondary that has surrendered 15 passing TDs to date (third most in the NFL) and was just torched by David Garrard for four TD passes. Heck, Jordy Nelson is a decent bet to excel Sunday night, too.

Don't be the bonehead who ...
benches Philip Rivers just because his receivers are dropping like flies. Even if Antonio Gates (plantar fasciitis) joins Malcom Floyd , Legedu Naanee and Vincent Jackson on the sidelines, the NFL’s leading passer will find someone (Patrick Crayton, Darren Sproles, even Seji Ajirotutu) with whom to torch the Texans’ atrocious pass defense.

Ladd Biro is a syndicated fantasy football columnist and host of Sporting News Radio’s weekly Fantasy Files show (Saturdays, 9-10 am ET). Follow his daily fantasy advice at the Fantasy Fools blog (fantasy-fools.blogspot.com) and via Twitter (@ladd_biro).

• • •

sbk92

Reaction score
My injury luck continues. Stewart and Roddy White both out.

This is pretty much the worst football season ever.

Cythim

Reaction score
I'm right there with ya. I started with just Favre at QB (missed the draft due to work) so I picked up Vick then traded for Romo. At WR I have Steve Smith (CAR) and Roddy White. Steven Jackson is at RB and he has been playing injured all season.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'm right there with ya. I started with just Favre at QB (missed the draft due to work) so I picked up Vick then traded for Romo. At WR I have Steve Smith (CAR) and Roddy White. Steven Jackson is at RB and he has been playing injured all season.

Damn.

That's why I join a few leagues a year. And try not to have the same players on all the teams. A couple of injuries and you're screwed.

Cythim

Reaction score
Alright, I need to start 3 WRS and I have Steve Smith (CAR), Roddy White, Dez, Crabtree, Braylon Edwards and Danny Woodhead.

Who the F is Woodhead? Patriots new Kevin Faulk, he has averaged 68 total yards over the last 6 games and has 3 TDs.

sbk92

Reaction score
Alright, I need to start 3 WRS and I have Steve Smith (CAR), Roddy White, Dez, Crabtree, Braylon Edwards and Danny Woodhead.

Who the F is Woodhead? Patriots new Kevin Faulk, he has averaged 68 total yards over the last 6 games and has 3 TDs.

White is supposed to be playing tonight. He's a must start. Woodhead's been a pretty nice fantasy player this year but he's going up against Pittsburgh's defense this week.

We'll probably get blown out again, but Dez still can make a big impact. As he did the first game. I'd start him. Kitna seems to already trust he'll make a play.

Then I guess I'd go Edwards. He's got the best QB of the three options and his team will more than likely win the game. Upping the chances of getting a touchdown from him.

Cythim

Reaction score
Damn you Roddy White... I don't want to start him but if I don't he will get 200 yards and 4 TDs

Top Bottom