Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There's more than one way to be successful as a QB. He's got the ability to be a good one. He's been a good one in the past. He doesn't have the ability to be a specific type of NFL QB, but if that were the only way to be a successful NFL QB, there wouldn't be near as many successful QBs in the league.
I have no disagreement with what you are saying. But clearly you might not understand what I am saying.

There are some basic fundamentals for quarterbacking even your mobile quarterbacks HAVE to master, and alot of them actually do. Footwork, throwing mechanics, clear head under fire. These things are essential if you're going to be a quarterback, no matter the style. Griffin has had three years now to begin to master these fundamentals and it is evident he hasn't even tried. His style is not what is at issue here. It's his total lack of fundamental skills as a quarterback in the NFL.

Save this guy's career, get him out from under center and flank him out on the wing, or in the slot, and get him the ball often. Before it is too late.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Exactly. Couldn't agree more. If nothing else, look at Seattle tapes and use him just like Wilson. Which is mostly as a passer, but those 5-6-7 runs a game can be backbreakers for defenses.
Griffin hasn't the basic skills necessary to be a Wilson.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
perhaps, but this was the most noticeable one

[video=youtube;RtgEKg3bVto]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtgEKg3bVto[/video]
Umm, how did you get that video to stick on our YT page without it being automatically blocked?

Reaction score
I have no disagreement with what you are saying. But clearly you might not understand what I am saying.

There are some basic fundamentals for quarterbacking even your mobile quarterbacks HAVE to master, and alot of them actually do. Footwork, throwing mechanics, clear head under fire. These things are essential if you're going to be a quarterback, no matter the style. Griffin has had three years now to begin to master these fundamentals and it is evident he hasn't even tried. His style is not what is at issue here. It's his total lack of fundamental skills as a quarterback in the NFL.

Save this guy's career, get him out from under center and flank him out on the wing, or in the slot, and get him the ball often. Before it is too late.
Throwing mechanics are overrated. Matthew Stafford doesn't have consistent mechanics. He throws the ball out of all types of arm slots, but he gets the job done for the most part.

Footwork? I have no doubt Griffin has the footwork to get the job done. He may not be a slide in the pocket guy, but he's got the feet to be effective in other ways.

Now, clear head under fire? I would agree that Griffin doesn't have that now. But that's something that can come with seasoning. It comes after you have the confidence in your game to do what you do without thinking about it. Griffin had the all the confidence in the world in his game during his rookie season. But instead of building off that and working on his ability to keep a clear head when bullets were flying, they are trying to change his game. It's like they're tearing him down to the studs to build him back up... and it's shattering his confidence and may do irreparable damage.

I don't think Colin Kaepernick is any more skilled than Griffin is. But San Fran is handling him the right way. You heard Harbaugh praising his greatness in the post game presser yesterday, while you heard Gruden tearing Griffin down. The 49ers are designing the offense around what Kaep is good at. He's not a prototypical QB, and he has his warts, but he's successful for the most part.

Reaction score
perhaps, but this was the most noticeable one
I may start sounding like a total Griffin shill in this post...

But that's some bullshit. It's like Gruden is playing games with his franchise QB. Griffin has probably been lobbying to have the reigns loosened so he can use his legs and freelance some more. Seems to me like Gruden has been drumming in his head to stay in the pocket, that's how this offense works, we need to protect your health, etc. Then on a 3rd and forever, he says, here you go... if you want to run, go for it. Fuck your health for this play. Oh you didn't get the first down? See, your way doesn't work.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But instead of building off that and working on his ability to keep a clear head when bullets were flying, they are trying to change his game.
Because his game will not work in the NFL. You have to have SOME handle on the basic fundamentals of quarterbacking, to be a quarterback. He doesn't.

What is your objection to making him a HoF wideout or slot man?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Throwing mechanics are overrated. Matthew Stafford doesn't have consistent mechanics. He throws the ball out of all types of arm slots, but he gets the job done for the most part.
Stafford does these things in a chosen, controlled manner. Not out of habit because he refuses to learn any better.

Sidearm throws have their place. He knows that. Griffin doesn't.
Footwork? I have no doubt Griffin has the footwork to get the job done. He may not be a slide in the pocket guy, but he's got the feet to be effective in other ways.
He throws off his back foot, almost as a first language.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I may start sounding like a total Griffin shill in this post...

But that's some bullshit. It's like Gruden is playing games with his franchise QB. Griffin has probably been lobbying to have the reigns loosened so he can use his legs and freelance some more. Seems to me like Gruden has been drumming in his head to stay in the pocket, that's how this offense works, we need to protect your health, etc. Then on a 3rd and forever, he says, here you go... if you want to run, go for it. Fuck your health for this play. Oh you didn't get the first down? See, your way doesn't work.

on the other hand, if it works, Gruden's a genius. I mean, the last thing SF was probably expecting was a draw on 3rd and long.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
on the other hand, if it works, Gruden's a genius. I mean, the last thing SF was probably expecting was a draw on 3rd and long.
And if Griffin had just taken off with it instead of trying to juke, he might have broke it for the first down.

It's not all that unusual for a QB draw to be called in that situation, even with a less mobile QB.

Reaction score
Because his game will not work in the NFL. You have to have SOME handle on the basic fundamentals of quarterbacking, to be a quarterback. He doesn't.
He has just as much handle on the fundmentals as Kaepernick.

What is your objection to making him a HoF wideout or slot man?
My objection is that it's a stupid idea. Let's just make him be a wideout because he's tall and fast? Forget the fact that he's never run a route and has fragile knees. Let's put him in the slot and send him over the middle where DBs will target him low. BRILLIANT!

Reaction score
Stafford does these things in a chosen, controlled manner. Not out of habit because he refuses to learn any better.
Of course he chooses when to throw it sidearmed. Just like all QBs who don't have perfect mechanics on every throw choose when to throw it a different way. Nothing I've seen tells me that Griffin "refuses to learn any better."

Sidearm throws have their place. He knows that. Griffin doesn't.
He throws off his back foot, almost as a first language.
I find it hard to believe that you know what Griffin knows.

Reaction score
And if Griffin had just taken off with it instead of trying to juke, he might have broke it for the first down.
Did you watch that clip? 99 was behind the LOS in the run lane before Griffin even took off.

It's not all that unusual for a QB draw to be called in that situation, even with a less mobile QB.
wut

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
My objection is that it's a stupid idea. Let's just make him be a wideout because he's tall and fast? Forget the fact that he's never run a route and has fragile knees. Let's put him in the slot and send him over the middle where DBs will target him low. BRILLIANT!
So you would rather have him be a running quarterback, with those bad knees. Brilliant as well.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The one and only reason we are talking about this fuck failing, is because defenses clued into his simpleton game. It worked for most of one season, but that's it. DEs don't crash down anymore, playing him. Defenses adjusted, Griffin gets hurt.

Reaction score
Tell you what, if Romo retired after the season and RG3 was available. Id take him.

I like what Gruden did, but there is a serious risk of killing the kids confidence.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Never understood a coach calling out his QB in the media. Gruden won't be long for an NFL HC position at this rate. Taking away the perks is one thing, but making public statements is another.

Sounds like it was 100% warranted with the way he was conducting himself.

Also sounds like there's a lot of players on that team that cant stand the guy.

Top Bottom