sbk92

Reaction score
Andrew Luck far ahead of the field in next year's draft class

Russ Lande
Sporting News

Now that the 2011 NFL Draft is in the rearview mirror, we can look ahead to 2012.

There is no doubt Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck will be the No. 1 overall pick as long as he does not suffer a serious injury.

However, there are many other elite players who will do their best to try to knock Luck from the top spot. Here's a look at the 10 players, as of right now, in the running for the top pick.

1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

Tall (6-4) and very athletic, Luck has consistently shown the arm strength to make every NFL throw. He has excellent throwing mechanics, which enables him to get rid of the ball in a flash with good zip and accuracy.

He is remarkably poised in the pocket and does not panic under pressure.

Has a natural feel for playing the position that is surprising for a quarterback with so little starting experience.

2. Matt Barkley, QB, USC

Hyped as an elite QB prospect since he started for USC as a true freshman.

While there have been bumps along the way, he has shown the physical tools and clutch play that should make him a first-round pick if he continues to improve this season. Has a quick release and a strong arm. Can make NFL throws with zip and accuracy. Good athlete who can avoid pressure and can get out of the pocket to make big plays after buying a second chance.

Barkley has the talent to push Luck as the No. 1 overall prospect if he really steps up.

3. Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina

Formerly the top recruit in the nation, Jeffery has been a dominant player at South Carolina. Has all the tools to be an elite, game-changing receiver in the NFL. Excellent size (6-4, 233 pounds) and strength with surprising foot quickness for such a big receiver. Has the hands, body control and coordination to go up high to catch passes with surprising ease and can adjust to off-target throws as well. Do not be surprised if he's compared to A.J. Green from this year's class.

4. Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

With Mark Ingram a first-round pick, there has been a lot of talk about Richardson having more physical talent than his former teammate. Richardson is a quick and agile runner who can easily make tacklers miss and has the explosive burst to take plays the distance.

A strong runner who consistently shows the ability to run through grab-tackles. While he may not be viewed as the super tough and aggressive runner that Ingram is, Richardson's explosiveness give him tools to become an elite back in the NFL.

5. LaMichael James, RB, Oregon

Nearly came out for the 2011 draft, and in our view made the right decision to return to Oregon. Despite being a very good back in 2010, he can improve. Additionally, short backs can really help their draft stock by proving their durability. He is an ultra quick, explosive back who can change directions in a flash. A naturally elusive runner who knows how to set up tacklers and makes them miss with ease. Overall, James has many of the traits to be a high first-round pick.

6. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State

Brings nice bulk and athleticism to the position. Has the strength to fight off jams and stay on his route. His speed makes him effective down field.

His size also allows him to fight for the ball in traffic and has the hands to pluck the ball out of the air at its highest point. Looks very natural when catching the ball and turning up field. Some concerns do pop up. The biggest is he can get lost in the flow of the offense and then lose concentration, which causes drops. Has great body control but can find him self out of position when beating zone coverage due to poor routes. Overall, Blackmon has the talent to be a very high pick if he shows the speed that NFL teams drool over in the spring of 2012.

7. Dont'a Hightower, MLB, Alabama

A well-built, powerful inside linebacker who has been a tackling machine since he arrived at Alabama. Smart and instinctive linebacker who is constantly around the ball. Caught scouts' attention on film by making more impact plays than Rolando McClain when they played together. A deceptively good athlete for such a big linebacker. Do not be shocked if climbs into the discussion as one of the top picks in the 2012 draft.

8. Jared Crick, DT, Nebraska

Has big, strong frame (6-6, 285) for a defensive linemen. Can play tackle in a 4-3 and could move to end in a 3-4 with his height. Has long arms to disengage from blockers and make plays at the point of attack. Has a high motor and plays through the whistle. Good power to bull rush a guard and get to the quarterback on any play. Sound technique when wrapping up ball carriers and driving them into the ground. Crick could lock up a top spot with a strong 2011 season.

9. Matt Kalil, OT, USC

Was good enough to keep Tyron Smith at right tackle at USC. A very athletic lineman with the foot quickness to easily protect the corner against speed rushers. Has the flexibility to block with a good base and leverage. Has the strength to tie up and eliminate defensive linemen from the play on the run and pass blocks. Plays with competitiveness on every snap and has consistently shown he will do whatever it takes to block his man. We think Kalil has a very good chance to be the No. 1 offensive tackle in the 2012 draft and could get in the mix as the top pick.

10. Nick Foles, QB, Arizona

A tall (6-5) and athletic quarterback with the strong arm to make NFL throws. Shined in 2010 when healthy and has many in the NFL excited to see how he improves next season. He may not be on everyone's radar right now as an elite prospect, but we are confident he will by the end of the 2011 season. Foles could make a big move next season and challenge Barkley to be the No. 2 quarterback in the 2012 draft.

C

Cr122

LaMichael James, RB, Oregon.

He's going to be good at the next level.

Reaction score
7. Dont'a Hightower, MLB, Alabama

A well-built, powerful inside linebacker who has been a tackling machine since he arrived at Alabama. Smart and instinctive linebacker who is constantly around the ball. Caught scouts' attention on film by making more impact plays than Rolando McClain when they played together. A deceptively good athlete for such a big linebacker. Do not be shocked if climbs into the discussion as one of the top picks in the 2012 draft.

I bet he injures his knee this year, and ends up as our 2012 second round selection.

Cythim

Reaction score
All the teams that foolishly jumped on a QB in the first round are going to hate their decision next draft.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
The c and r keys are too close to the d key for my comfort.

One time I was in a chatroom and I meant to type, "I WOULDN'T f a dude."

I actually typed, "I WOULD f a dude."

I haven't been back since.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think James will be the better back on the next level. Trent's pretty good too.

With James and players like him, I wonder how much of it is talent and how much is the gimmick system. I'm always leery of offensive players who play in a spread system in college.

I dont think there's any of that kind of guess work with Richardson. He's probably more gifted than Ingram and could have a monster yr for Bama

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

who are you kidding? that's your opening line in chatrooms.

Cythim

Reaction score
With James and players like him, I wonder how much of it is talent and how much is the gimmick system. I'm always leery of offensive players who play in a spread system in college.

I dont think there's any of that kind of guess work with Richardson. He's probably more gifted than Ingram and could have a monster yr for Bama

LaGarrette Blount and Jonathan Stewart are making their mark on the NFL. It isn't just the system for the Ducks, they have some excellent RBs.

Reaction score
LaGarrette Blount and Jonathan Stewart are making their mark on the NFL. It isn't just the system for the Ducks, they have some excellent RBs.

Both Stewart and Blount are traditional workhorse backs.

James is a small kid. He's not of the same mold.

Cythim

Reaction score
Both Stewart and Blount are traditional workhorse backs.

Blount is a small kid. He's not of the same mold.

He didn't mention size or mold, he mentioned system. James isn't a traditional back but the NFL has been moving away from the traditional 20+ carries a game RB. His 185lb playing weight would concern me but not that he plays in the Ducks system.

Reaction score
He didn't mention size or mold, he mentioned system. James isn't a traditional back but the NFL has been moving away from the traditional 20+ carries a game RB. His 185lb playing weight would concern me but not that he plays in the Ducks system.

Well, typically if a player doesn't have the ideal measureables, but excells, it's often because of the system.

Blount and Stewart aren't being used in the role that James is/has at Oregon.

James wouldn't be able to hold up if used as a traditional between the tackles runner.

Don't get me wrong. There's likely a role for him in the NFL, but it's more than likely going to be more similar to a Dexter McCluster than a Stephen Jackson.

Cythim

Reaction score
What running back has excelled in a spread offense without having "ideal measurables" and has been nominated for the Heisman as well as being a potential first round pick?

Oregon had a similar player (same height, 30 more lbs so close to Emmitt Smith) that had success in the Ducks system (349 att 2336 yds 30 tds) but was not drafted because he was a product of the system. He didn't have the same intangibles, the quickness and elusiveness that James has. if you are going to dismiss him do it after evaluating his talent, not based on his size or the system he plays in.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

Reminds of a time back in high school where one of my friends took this dude's glasses. So the dude is like, "give me my glasses back, son." My friend told him to suck his dick, in which dude shot back, "no, I'll suck your dick" when he meant to say the opposite. It was so funny.

Top Bottom