Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
No, my school wasn't undefeated. But neither was the team we lost out to in the rankings. The people doing the rankings just thought the other team was better based on things other than who won a game head to head.
No, they didn't. The formula is in place that takes the people and the conference politics out of it.
I don't think you understand the difference between an objective standard and a subjective standard. Objective information is based on observable facts. Subjective information is opinion-based. If you have people deciding which team of two is better based on anything other than watching them playing it out on the field, then it's subjective. You're arguing between D1 and D2 systems is just choosing which subjective standard you like best.
It's not subjective if a formula is used that compares teams based on known and proven factors, such as strength of schedule, record in division, and the whole list of items in the formulas. That is objective, factual information used by way of comparison.
It's better than what we had... but it still needs work.
I don't see it as any better at all. The D2 model is far superior.

Reaction score
No, they didn't. The formula is in place that takes the people and the conference politics out of it.

It's not subjective if a formula is used that compares teams based on known and proven factors, such as strength of schedule, record in division, and the whole list of items in the formulas. That is objective, factual information used by way of comparison.
What formula are you talking about? Even if there is a formula and numbers are plugged into a computer, a formula created by a human giving a subjective weight to certain factors is a subjective formula.

I don't see it as any better at all. The D2 model is far superior.
You don't think this method is better than the BCS or the bowl system where 1 and 2 weren't guaranteed to play each other?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
What formula are you talking about? Even if there is a formula and numbers are plugged into a computer, a formula created by a human giving a subjective weight to certain factors is a subjective formula.
Oh boy... If facts are plugged into a computer those facts are now subjective. And if a human gives more weight to certain of those facts, it's really really subjective.

By the way here's the sole arbiter of the D1 playoffs:

College Football Playoff <--- People making subjective choices.

You don't think this method is better than the BCS or the bowl system where 1 and 2 weren't guaranteed to play each other?
It's a half-assed measure, and look at what it's wrought in its first outing.

It's progress about like a snails progress on your aquarium.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The D2 system is far, far superior. Four regions, top four teams in each region get in the bracket. It's all settled by Christmas and doesn't present any undue burden on the schools. D1 should adopt it.

That is all I am saying.

Imagine that bracket right now, in D1.

Reaction score
Oh boy... If facts are plugged into a computer those facts are now subjective. And if a human gives more weight to certain of those facts, it's really really subjective.

By the way here's the sole arbiter of the D1 playoffs:

College Football Playoff <--- People making subjective choices.
Yep... I'm positive now, you don't know how to distinguish between objective and subjective.

Facts aren't subjective. Opinions are subjective if based on facts where a human gives each fact a varying importance.

And there is no "formula" in D2 regional rankings. Each super-region has a regional committee that ranks the teams. Here... this link lays it out better than I can. http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/11/12/7194821/dii-diii-naia-college-football-playoffs

Division II

Division II is unique in that, with one exception, there are no automatic bids for conference champions.

The D2 field consists of 24 teams, six from each of the NCAA's super-regions. NCAA regional committees rank the top 10 in each super-region, and games against teams outside D2 are not considered, whether they're against D3, NAIA, or FCS. The top six in each super-region go to the playoffs, with the top two in each super-region getting a bye in the first round. Simple, right?

Except for that one catch: if a conference champion from a conference that would not otherwise be represented finishes within the top eight teams in the super-region, it gets in, knocking someone else out. It's called the earned access rule. Except for that whole "regional rankings being subjective" thing, it's a pretty fair system.
So yeah, humans decided which games are considered in ranking teams in the regional rankings. And there are automatic bids... if a conference is unrepresented in the top 6 of their region and there's a conference champion ranked at either 7 or 8, then the conference champ goes and kicks out one of the top 6. Come to think of it, this is what happened to my school. We were ranked number 6, but a conference champ from an unrepresented conference was at 7 or 8 and kicked us out.

That link says the regional rankings are subjective...

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yep... I'm positive now, you don't know how to distinguish between objective and subjective.

Facts aren't subjective. Opinions are subjective if based on facts where a human gives each fact a varying importance.

And there is no "formula" in D2 regional rankings. Each super-region has a regional committee that ranks the teams. Here... this link lays it out better than I can. http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/11/12/7194821/dii-diii-naia-college-football-playoffs

So yeah, humans decided which games are considered in ranking teams in the regional rankings. And there are automatic bids... if a conference is unrepresented in the top 6 of their region and there's a conference champion ranked at either 7 or 8, then the conference champ goes and kicks out one of the top 6. Come to think of it, this is what happened to my school. We were ranked number 6, but a conference champ from an unrepresented conference was at 7 or 8 and kicked us out.

That link says the regional rankings are subjective...
Okay, it's alot more clear now. Thanks for the correction. However the committees have ranking rules to follow including the discard of any games you might have vs. teams in lower divisions than D2. I also DO know they compare strength of schedule, common opponents, and so on.

We're still right at this being alot better than what we see today, with D1. Just on number of participants alone. But also in how these participants are selected.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
So peplaw, if you didn't go to law school at Harvard or Yale. Who the fuck wants to hear your legal advice? You should be working all your cases pro boner.

Top Bottom