MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I think at this point, Bennett is who he is.

He's a clown who cares about football secondary to whatever else occupies his mind at any given moment.

Lee has potential, but he's got to prove he can shake the injury bug......same goes for Carter.

Those 3rd rounders are bad, and while I think Murray is talented, is there really that big of a difference between he and Felix Jones?

Don't we already have a backfield full of spot players who have a "specialty"?

There were better players on the board that would have helped plug some holes that would've been much better value than Murray.

While I'm not big on the Murray pick, I can see the a potential need coming up with Barber's upcoming release and Choice turning into a knucklehead.

If the Cowboys had Murray the highest rated guy left on the board and they took him, I have no qualms about that.

As far as filling other holes on the team in the third round, I think the only argument that could really be made if for a guard being taken instead of Murray. There wasn't anything there at safety or defensive end.

However the Cowboys did take a guard in the 4th round so there ya go.

Reaction score
I think our college scouting dept is bad, but our pro scouting dept is worse. We never make a good waiver claim/midseason pickup who has even the smallest impact.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I think our college scouting dept is bad, but our pro scouting dept is worse. We never make a good waiver claim/midseason pickup who has even the smallest impact.

I don't think that's necessarily true...

First off over the last few seasons the starting group of say 26 (which includes the 3rd corner and the 3rd wr) has been very stable, meaning there wasn't much call to put a reserve into the starting lineup or bring in a guy off the waiver wire.

Secondly Wade didn't like to alter the roster once it was set at the conclusion of training camp... He just wasn't very interested in bringing in guys who had been cut from other teams.

Garrett seems to be cut from a different cloth, and over the last half of the season there seems to be a greater interest in bringing in other players.

This also is another example of the head coach of the Cowboys having more control over personal that what some try to intimate.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Waiver claims are what defines quality scouts?

Seriously?

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Secondly Wade didn't like to alter the roster once it was set at the conclusion of training camp... He just wasn't very interested in bringing in guys who had been cut from other teams.

I really hope I'm wrong about this, but I don't think that are lack of tinkering with the roster was all Wade.

We'll find out this year for sure, but I'm afraid that some of the bad habits that we would like to pin on Wade may not have been entirely his fault as we all suspected, but is instead a philosophical believe that starts at the top.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
While I'm not big on the Murray pick, I can see the a potential need coming up with Barber's upcoming release and Choice turning into a knucklehead.

If the Cowboys had Murray the highest rated guy left on the board and they took him, I have no qualms about that.

As far as filling other holes on the team in the third round, I think the only argument that could really be made if for a guard being taken instead of Murray. There wasn't anything there at safety or defensive end.

However the Cowboys did take a guard in the 4th round so there ya go.

If you want to fill the void that Barber will leave, then we should have gone for a similar runner in Stevan Ridley.

Someone is going to have to fill the short yardage role and that's not going to be Jones or Murrays' strength.

As for other available players, I would've taken Kenrick Ellis over Murray in a heartbeat.

sbk92

Reaction score
I would bet Garrett wouldn't define Ellis as "the right kind of guy".

There's a common theme throughout this draft class. I don't think it's by accident. All these guys are top notch effort players that were very popular in their locker rooms.

I was checking out Scouts Inc.'s breakdown of the prospects the other day. In in they have a category for intangibles. And a score of 1-5, 1 being excellent, 5 being a major character concern. I think 5 or 6 of our 8 picks have 1 scores for intangibles. With at least two others having a 2 score. I checked around to see if these scores were common with most of the players. Not really. You're just as likely to see 3s and 4s as you are a 1.

That's not a coincidence. I think we finally have a clear vision of what kinds of players we want on this team. The GM doesn't. His bastard son surely doesn't. But the head coach does. And he's a great communicator. A scouts' son who understands how important those scouts are to the process.

This isn't to say we had a great class. Time will tell on that. You can have all the intangibles in the world, if you don't have the ability, you won't succeed in the NFL. But it's nice to see that there was finally a method to our madness in a draft. Something we can hang our hat on going forward.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
If you want to fill the void that Barber will leave, then we should have gone for a similar runner in Stevan Ridley.

Someone is going to have to fill the short yardage role and that's not going to be Jones or Murrays' strength.

As for other available players, I would've taken Kenrick Ellis over Murray in a heartbeat.

Ellis has "future problem" written all over him. No thanks.

Top Bottom