MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Another crazy thing about all these rookie QB's playing so well is that Paxton Lynch still hasn't got on the field and there's a good chance that he might be the best QB out of this class when all is said and done. If all (or even most) of these guys pan out we could be looking at a QB draft that rivals that 1983 draft.

Reaction score
If Prescott runs for TDs in the red zone because no one has ever been open on Jason's "not-really-designed-for-the red-zone" passing plays, then it's good for the team.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Plus with how incompetent Wade and Garrett have been squeezing any level of ability out of any of the non-Romo QB's we've had over the years, I don't trust they can develop a QB.

The one thing about this is the "non Romo QB's" have also been non talents. I doubt anyone would get much out of any of them.

Prescott is the first one we've had that's had any ability at all. He also has a tremendous work ethic.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What separates Dak is his natural leadership and calmness and feel for the game. Plus he's so smart about when to use his legs. I love him like everyone else.

I think the brake tapping comes in what his real eventual upside is, though. You can definitely win games with him, but is he going to be more of an Alex Smith or Andy Dalton type who is below that very top tier of QBs that can win it all? Right now I think the safe bet is to say yes. He actually reminds me of those players, which isn't a bad thing.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I wouldn't put it past him. Did you see what Irvin said on NFL Network during the Monday night game? About renaming the Lombardi trophy the Belichik Trophy. He was kidding (I think) but Bill really is arguably the best coach of all time. Luckily for them they one have to figure out the QB position for 1 more game.

yes I did and I agree with him. I've been extolling the virtues of Belichik for years and the typical inane response is cheater, blah, blah, blah

Whats sickening is that the Cowboys and Patriots were looking for a head coach in 2000. Dallas hired Campo and NE hired Belichik. Not that it would have mattered much as I'm sure jeri would have manage to ruin Belichik had he miraculously hired him in the first place

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
yes I did and I agree with him. I've been extolling the virtues of Belichik for years and the typical inane response is cheater, blah, blah, blah

Whats sickening is that the Cowboys and Patriots were looking for a head coach in 2000. Dallas hired Campo and NE hired Belichik. Not that it would have mattered much as I'm sure jeri would have manage to ruin Belichik had he miraculously hired him in the first place

You have to also keep in mind that Belichik wanted to go back to New England too. He was Parcells' DC there when they went to the Super Bowl and quit the Jets job after 1 day to return to New England. I don't think it would have mattered if Jerry actually went after him or not, he was going back to New England no matter what.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You have to also keep in mind that Belichik wanted to go back to New England too. He was Parcells' DC there when they went to the Super Bowl and quit the Jets job after 1 day to return to New England. I don't think it would have mattered if Jerry actually went after him or not, he was going back to New England no matter what.

Belichik has great fondness and appreciation for Landry and the Cowboys.

If jeri valued head coaches and used his sales ability to go after Belichik, I would have liked his chances but that's all fantasy because we're all aware of jeris pitfalls when it comes to coaching

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What separates Dak is his natural leadership and calmness and feel for the game. Plus he's so smart about when to use his legs. I love him like everyone else.

I think the brake tapping comes in what his real eventual upside is, though. You can definitely win games with him, but is he going to be more of an Alex Smith or Andy Dalton type who is below that very top tier of QBs that can win it all? Right now I think the safe bet is to say yes. He actually reminds me of those players, which isn't a bad thing.

Good points TE and it mirrors what I initially thought when I was reading through the thread. First, the game has changed which allow college QB's to come in and have some success and great point about the pro game implementing some college plays/schemes. Brissett looked like he was running a college offense from what I saw but that's a good coaching staff implementing a game plan that a young QB is comfortable with but it's not going to have long term success.

I like what I see in Dak from a basic level. I haven't seen him go downfield to stretch the defenses which is something I think Wentz has done fairly well. I don't know if that's because of the Red Dolt limiting Dak's reads or the type of throws they want him to make but right now he's more of a bus driver. We can go .500 with a bus driver and maybe that's what Garrett wants. But I'd like to see more from Dak in terms of playmaking. I'm not being critical, as the kid is young. But if he can throw downfield with some accuracy, I'll be really excited for the future at QB.

Reaction score
He reminds me of McNair: not really a pretty game nor a classic drop back rocket arm but just a gutsy competitor who gets the job done playing QB.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He reminds me of McNair: not really a pretty game nor a classic drop back rocket arm but just a gutsy competitor who gets the job done playing QB.

Yeah good comparison from what we've seen so far. They do seem similar.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Good points TE and it mirrors what I initially thought when I was reading through the thread. First, the game has changed which allow college QB's to come in and have some success and great point about the pro game implementing some college plays/schemes. Brissett looked like he was running a college offense from what I saw but that's a good coaching staff implementing a game plan that a young QB is comfortable with but it's not going to have long term success.

I like what I see in Dak from a basic level. I haven't seen him go downfield to stretch the defenses which is something I think Wentz has done fairly well. I don't know if that's because of the Red Dolt limiting Dak's reads or the type of throws they want him to make but right now he's more of a bus driver. We can go .500 with a bus driver and maybe that's what Garrett wants. But I'd like to see more from Dak in terms of playmaking. I'm not being critical, as the kid is young. But if he can throw downfield with some accuracy, I'll be really excited for the future at QB.

I was listening to one of the Cowboys podcast and I think it was Brodus that was saying that Dak actually did have a few guys open deep during the Skins game but that he didn't throw it to them, he elected to make the safe play. I don't have a problem with him playing it safe this early but I definitely want to see him taking those shots as the season goes along.

Reaction score
I was listening to one of the Cowboys podcast and I think it was Brodus that was saying that Dak actually did have a few guys open deep during the Skins game but that he didn't throw it to them, he elected to make the safe play. I don't have a problem with him playing it safe this early but I definitely want to see him taking those shots as the season goes along.

I don't but that from Broaddus. If he is saying that the downfield routes that were happening simultaneous to the immense DL pressure that at the time that Dak got rid of the ball, and the play had ended, that the WRs were wide open, then yes I would agree. But this is like Kellen Moore evidence redefining all over again: no one was open deep until the play was done and the Redskins stopped trying.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I guess it is possible that Steven McGee could have been a Pro Bowler with the right coaching, but maybe he just didn't have what it took.

He didn't have what it takes. That's why he's currently out of the NFL right now.

All it boils down to if a QB can process what's going around him on the field. Some just simply can and others simply cannot do that.

That's why we saw Stephen and Weeden checking down so much. They weren't able to see routes developing.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
He hasn't been the only problem in the redzone. There's definitely blame to share with others there.

I don't think the offensive play designs down there have been overly helpful either. They seem to run the same two or three plays over and over and over down there.

Garrett has been responsible for some of the worst redzone offenses going back to when he was OC.

Reaction score

Are you saying that only the very top tier of QBs are capable of winning a championship?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
No, but those are the ones to bet on year after year.

We know the Flaccos and even Dilfers of the world can win the odd title but they need really good defenses. Which of course is the opposite of what we have.

Reaction score
No, but those are the ones to bet on year after year.

We know the Flaccos and even Dilfers of the world can win the odd title but they need really good defenses. Which of course is the opposite of what we have.

That makes sense to me too.

So about Dak's ceiling. All of this is premature speculation, of course, but ....

Natural leadership and poise goes a long way. Dak has that.

I'm not saying he will be a top tier QB, but I think it is possible for someone with his physical abilities to become a top tier QB. He doesn't have the outrageous arm talent of some QBs (e.g., Aikman, Rodgers, Luck), but he has enough to throw the throws.

For Dak it'll probably come down to recognition, processing speed, and decision making. That's a big part of what he's working on now.

It would be a mistake to minimize just how fortunate Dak is to be playing with such a strong supporting cast. If he had a bad OL, he'd be toast, just like 99% of all young QBs. But Dak is in an unusually good position. He is basically set up to become the best version of himself. He seems to be positioned for a real chance to reach his full potential, whatever that might be. Most QBs don't get that kind of chance. With Prescott's mental make-up (his approach to the game), I wouldn't bet against him.

A random observation on a difference between Romo and Prescott -

Romo plays on the outside edge of his own talent and physical ability. He's had to press more over his career, for a number of reasons.

Dak plays within himself. Or at least that's how he's looked over the past 3 years or so.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dak certainly has the tools around him to have success.

I fear that our inability to develop new QB's and to "coach em up" is what can eventually lead to his doom

He will have to be an exceptional QB to be able to succeed under Garrett. Whereas a mediocre QB can have great success under different coaching such as Belichick

Top Bottom