LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been posted and if so, then disregard, but I find it quite interesting although not surprising.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loyal DC Times readers know I sometimes hold “less than popular” views regarding the Cowboys. I think T.O. was a huge asset to Dallas, Tony Romo is one of the top quarterbacks in the league, and Deon Anderson’s absence is the primary reason for the offense’s inability to run the football this year.

Well, you can add this opinion to the list. Jerry Jones is a very capable general manager–quietly one of the better G.M.s in the NFL–and will never get the respect he deserves in that role.

Let that soak in for a minute, because I know the majority of you couldn’t disagree more.

It’s becoming increasingly popular among media types to rant about the Cowboys’ lack of talent. This team didn’t under-perform, they claim, they just were never that good.

These are the same “experts” who labeled Dallas as the league’s most talented team in the preseason. You show me someone who claims they didn’t think the ‘Boys were at least a top five team in terms of talent during the preseason, and I’ll show you a liar. It’s always amazing how one’s views transform after the fact.

Jones’ detractors claim he’s never won anything without a strong head coach. The winning culture of the Dallas Cowboys, some argue, deteriorated after the losses of both Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. I’ll concede that Jones did an awful job as G.M. in the time frame after Jimmy’s departure and before Parcells’ arrival. That time was marred with early-round draft picks like David LaFleur, Ebenezer Ekuban, Dwayne Goodrich, and Quincy Carter.

Since Parcells’ reign in Big D, though, Jones has compiled a group of extremely talented football players. And since you know I’m all about statistics, let’s play a little game. I’ll label each pick during the Parcells era (2003-2006) and every pick since as a “hit” or “miss.” Since early picks are of course more important than later ones, we’ll use an inverse scale of scoring: a first-round hit is worth seven points, a second-round hit is worth six points, and so on. Similarly, a first-round miss is worth -7 points, a second-round miss is worth -6 points. . .you get the idea.

The second number behind each “hit” is a score from 1-10 of that player’s worth, regardless of the round in which they were drafted. I will use these numbers later.

Bill Parcells Era

Terence Newman- Hit (7) 9
Al Johnson- Miss (-6)
Jason Witten- Hit (5) 9
Bradie James- Hit (4) 6
B.J. Tucker- Miss (-2)
Zuriel Smith- Miss (-2)
Justin Bates- Miss (-1)

Total Draft: 5 points (B+)
Really good draft that provided Dallas with three major components of their current roster.

Julius Jones- Miss (-6)
Jacob Rogers- Miss (-6)
Stephen Peterman- Miss (-5)
Bruce Thornton- Miss (-4)
Sean Ryan- Miss (-3)
Nathan Jones- Miss (-1)
Patrick Crayton- Hit (1) 5
Jacques Reeves- Hit (1) 2

Total Draft: -23 points (D)
This is the exact sort of draft that is dismissed under Parcells but for which Jerry would be crucified.

DeMarcus Ware- Hit (7) 10
Marcus Spears- Hit/Miss (0)
Kevin Burnett- Miss (-6)
Marion Barber III- Hit (4) 5
Chris Canty- Hit (4) 3
Justin Beriault- Miss (-2)
Rob Petitti- Miss (-2)
Jay Ratliff- Hit (1) 9

Total Draft: 6 points (A)
The best draft under Parcells by far. You could argue Spears is either a hit/miss, so I effectively negated him.

Bobby Carpenter- Miss (-7)
Anthony Fasano- Hit/Miss (0)
Jason Hatcher- Hit/Miss (0)
Skyler Green- Miss (-4)
Patrick Watkins- Miss (-3)
Montavious Stanley- Miss (-2)
Pat McQuistan- Miss (-1)
E.J. Whitley- Miss (-1)

Total Draft: -18 (D-)
Another horrible draft under Parcells which people tend to forget.

Jerry Jones Era

Anthony Spencer- Hit (7) 8
James Marten- Miss (-5)
Isaiah Stanback- Miss (-4)
Doug Free- Hit (4) 8
Nick Folk- Hit/Miss (0)
Deon Anderson- Hit (2) 4
Courtney Brown- Miss (-1)
Alan Ball- Hit (1) 2

Total Draft: 4 points (B-)
Spencer and Free are major cogs for the future, and Deon Anderson and Alan Ball are hits due to draft spot.

Felix Jones- Hit/Miss (0)
Mike Jenkins- Hit (7) 7
Martellus Bennett- Hit (6) 4
Tashard Choice- Hit (4) 3
Orlando Scandrick- Hit (3) 3
Erik Walden- Miss (-2)

Total Draft: 18 points (A-)
I know it is easy to dismiss some of these players now, but we would have considered everyone except Walden a ‘hit’ in the preseason.

Jason Williams- Miss (-5)
Robert Brewster- Miss (-5)
Stephen McGee- Miss (-4)
Victor Butler- Hit (4) 3
Brandon Williams- Miss (-4)
DeAngelo Smith- Miss (-3)
Michael Hamlin- Miss (-3)
David Buehler- Hit/Miss (0)
Stephen Hodge- Miss (-2)
John Phillips- Hit (2) 3
Mike Mickens- Miss (-1)
Manuel Johnson- Miss (-1)

Total Draft: -22 points (D-)
Absolutely horrid draft, although I could have given Stephen McGee and Brandon Williams “0″ grades.

Dez Bryant- Hit (7) 8
Sean Lee- Miss (-6)
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah- ?
Sam Young- Hit (2) 1
Jamar Wall- Miss (-2)
Sean Lissemore- ?

Total Draft: 1 point (C+)
I realize it is too early to truly grade this draft, so these grades are speculative. I think we all know Dez Bryant is a ‘hit’ though.

Bill Parcells Four-Year Total: -30 points (-0.97 points per pick)
9/31 hits

Jerry Jones Four-Year Total: 1 point (0.03 points per pick)
12/32 hits

Now, clearly there are limitations to this little study. It may be a poor method to grade players as a “hit” or “miss.” Certainly DeMarcus Ware is more of a “hit” than Marion Barber, so he should be graded as such.

In an effort to account for this, I have provided each hit with a grade of 1-10, regardless of the round in which they were drafted. I kept the miss grades steady, as a miss in the first-round is surely more costly than a later one.

When we add up these new scores, the Parcells Era receives 24 more points, bringing his total to -6 points. That is -0.19 points per pick. The Jerry Jones Era receives five extra points, bringing his total to 6 points (0.19 points per pick).

No matter how you score it, Jerry has been superior in drafting in the four years since Parcells left as compared to the four years during Parcells’ stay in Big D.

Of course, Jerry Jones isn’t immune from criticism. I think it is valid to argue that, although the Cowboys are talented, the organization had no overarching vision. The Cowboys may just be a group of talented football players, not a team. Great teams aren’t simply a collection of the best players, but rather a cohesive group of men who work well together.

So have the 2010 version of the Dallas Cowboys suffered due to a lack of cohesion, or a lack of proper coaching? Either way, no matter what you might hear, it isn’t due to a lack of talent. A general manager’s job duties include assembling a core of talented players and finding the right coaches to lead those players. If Jerry Jones finds a way to accomplish the latter, you can bet this Cowboys team has the talent to quickly return to being a Championship contender.

Reaction score
This article made me lol.

Listen, I used to be a Jerry Jones apologist, but even I've (finally) given up on him.

The day he retiredies will be a good day for the Cowboys. Simple as that.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
How is Sean Lee a miss?

Anyway, Yes Jerry sucks as a GM. GM's should not be (wannabe)celebrities. They should be workers, grinders, cerebral people who we almost never see. Quite the opposite of Jerry on all accounts.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Listen, I used to be a Jerry Jones apologist, but even I've (finally) given up on him.

I plan on finally getting banned from the Zone on that day.

Reaction score
Oh, and I have no idea what those numbers next to the players drafted mean. And I disagree with a bunch, regarding whether they're "hit" or "miss."

Sean Lee isn't a miss. Anthony Spencer isn't a hit. Etc etc etc.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Oh I agree. But this is mainly a jab at the Parcells ball-washers. You know the Julius Jones draft and all of that? Parcells passed on Jackson, but yet Jones get the blame for it.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I like how the author so cavalierly tosses off the mind numbingly bad drafting of the post Johnson/pre Parcells years.

Then he rigged up the scoring on the '07 draft so it didn't seem quite the ball of suck that it actually was.
Clearly he sees the value of Alan Ball.

Phillips and Butler do not rescue the '09 draft.That draft should locked in a vault and dropped in an undersea volcano,and just tell Phillips and Butler they were adopted.

I bet Nick Eatman is furious this guy stole his idea for a post.

Reaction score
Clearly he sees the value of Alan Ball.

That draft should locked in a vault and dropped in an undersea volcano,and just tell Phillips and Butler they were adopted.

I bet Nick Eatman is furious this guy stole his idea for a post.

lol x three for Sexisbetter

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The 2009 Cowboys Draft is one of the worst things I have ever seen. I love all of the apologists at the time.. "hey, we are so talented we just need to fix special teams"..."Robert Brewster is the next Erik Williams" .. "Jason Williams is the steal of the draft".

Fail, fail, fail.

Reaction score
The 2009 Cowboys Draft is one of the worst things I have ever seen. I love all of the apologists at the time.. "hey, we are so talented we just need to fix special teams"..."Robert Brewster is the next Erik Williams" .. "Jason Williams is the steal of the draft".

Fail, fail, fail.

You're going to eat those words when David Beuhler kicks a Super Bowl winning 55 yard field goal as time expires next year.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
David Buehler and Brandon Williams (I may end up wrong on that one) were the only picks I could stomach at the time.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Fail, fail, fail.

Well which do you think was worse: the 2004 draft or the 2009?

Reaction score
Well which do you think was worse: the 2004 draft or the 2009?

The 2004 draft class is like waking up after a one night stand and finding the slut you banged wrote "Sorry, I have Herpes" in lipstick on your bathroom mirror.

The 2009 draft class is the same, except she wrote "Full Blown AIDS" instead of "herpes."

sbk92

Reaction score
He was so good that he had to bring Parcells here to clean up the mess. Prior to that we were one of, if not the worst, team in football.

Now if you want to say he drafts better post-Parcells, okay. I can agree with that. Still not good enough though.

Top Bottom