Reaction score
Columnist Kevin Sherrington held a chat on Wednesday. Here are some highlights.

Garrett is 8-8, 8-8, 8-8 (missing playoffs all 3 years) 12-4 & currently 4-9. Does this sound like a 5yr $25 million Head Coach or GM for that matter?

No, it's not an impressive resume, and I have to believe that, if Romo is healthy next year, or at least reasonably so, and they don't go deep in the playoffs, Jerry will get restless. He believes in Jason, but he's dropped hints this year that he doesn't think they've been coached up very well. Some assistants will pay for this season, but not the head coach.

Despite the notion that the RB position has been devalued as of late with very few RB's selected in the 1st or 2nd round, it appears as though the serious powerhouses in the NFL - Packers, Seahawks, Patriots, Panthers and Cardinals, all have a strong RB and ground game dispelling that notion. What is your take Kevin?

I thought they should have drafted a RB last year, but it doesn't necessarily mean you have to use a first-round pick on a RB. Little like QBs. Todd Gurley was clearly the best RB coming out last season, and he's proven it. Deserved to go in first. Melvin Gordon has been a disappointment. There will be a lot of talk about Derrick Henry, but I'd tap the brakes on that. He's a very powerful runner, but I don't know how that transfers to the NFL. You need to make a few guys miss for the most part. When he comes out, Leonard Fournette is a better NFL prospect, I think. Got a little Adrian Peterson in him.

I recall in 1994 JJ the great telling your colleague 'Goose' that 500+ coaches could have won the Superbowl with those teams, then subsequently lost the 94 Championship game, won the 95 SB and has been mediocre since. Did he, not directly, imply that any one of 500+ running backs could run behind this line? And did he give the OL a sense of entitlement by those comments

As I've written many times, Jerry's biggest problem is his optimism. It's OK to hope for the best as long as you prepare for the worst. Jerry always wants to think it's going to work out. The RB committee wasn't such a bad idea, just that they made Joseph Randle the face of it. Going from DeMarco Murray, a tough, dedicated, hard-nosed player who did everything asked of him and more on and off the field, to the likes of Randle, was crazy. They're better now at RB with McFadden No. 1 and Turbin as his back-up, but it's too late now.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Not going to read it, but just @ the title, Duh.

I don't think this organization gives much of a shit about fixing problems. Garrett will be THE last thing they try to fix. They'll try another OC, another DC, maybe another ST coach, but no way in fuck will they look at the guy at the top of that staff or Al Jones Davis.

Just stick a bandaid on the cut, breaks will go your way next year, 10-6 or 9-7 will probably be good enough next year if your QB stays healthy.

Same old shit.

Reaction score
Yeah Garrett has been head coach since 2010 and he's gone through more assistants than I can even count. Like 4 receiver coaches. 3 DC's. 2 or three OC/playcallers. etc.

It's always someone else who takes the fall.

Fucking ridiculous.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I like how it is just accepted now that we will scapegoat people.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I like how it is just accepted now that we will scapegoat people.
No kidding. This is one of the worst teams in the entire NFL -- near or at the bottom in several different offensive categories even with Dez Bryant, Jason Witten, and what last year was the best OL in football -- and no one in the media talks seriously about firing the head coach. This has to be the only city in the NFL where that's the case.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
It just speaks to how dispassionate the market is here for the Cowboys. Which is saying a lot because football is huge in Texas. I guess everyone is spent rooting for the high school kids that when it's Sunday they're just like, 'meh'.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not at all. People were trying to run every previous coach out of here even during much better seasons than this.

It's just that, again, the local media like Jason. It's not cool to go outside the peer group and suggest that he could actually be to blame for this mess.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The ones I know down there hate him and think he's a marionette.

I'm talking about the people who have been entrenched around here for years, especially the ones who go back to the 90s when Jason was still playing.

Feel free to give us some more specifics, though. I'm glad to hear some can recognize he's nothing more than a cliche-spouting mannequin. :)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm talking about the people who have been entrenched around here for years, especially the ones who go back to the 90s when Jason was still playing.

Feel free to give us some more specifics, though. I'm glad to hear some can recognize he's nothing more than a cliche-spouting mannequin. :)
I'd posted in detail about it in another thread, but yeah you're right about the tenured, entrenched ones - they like the Ivy League Ivory Tower elitists for sure. It's not even Stockholm Syndrome, with them. They just like a Obama-type speaker.

Dale Hansen was the last of the Mohicans, as far as skepticism and objectivity in sports journalism goes. Most all you see in today's sports media and print is just idiot fanbois who are basically just cheerleaders and have no objectivity at all. They're not watchdogs, they're lapdogs. They're not the Fourth Estate, they're the Fifth Column.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Are any of you aware that since the start of re-alignment in 2002... this was the first year that the Cowboys got swept by an entire division: NFC SOUTH?

Only under Garrett.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Garrett's been here 9 years. We've had 3 good seasons during that span and won two playoff games. We still haven't been to an NFC Championship.

The other 6 years is a bunch of fucking FAIL. Jones is a fucktard if this clown is back as HC again next yr.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Are any of you aware that since the start of re-alignment in 2002... this was the first year that the Cowboys got swept by an entire division: NFC SOUTH?

Only under Garrett.

Not surprising. Its another in a long line of dubious franchise "firsts" under this clod

Top Bottom