C

Cr122

Sean Lee drops out of Cowboys' nickel-defense plans
Posted at 1:34 PM on Tue., Aug. 31, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Gerry Fraley / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Rookie inside linebacker Sean Lee, a second-round draft choice, does not figure in the Dallas Cowboys current plans for the nickel defense, coach Wade Phillips said on Tuesday.

Lee missed a considerable portion of training camp because of a quadriceps injury. The Cowboys want Lee to focus on special teams and base defense. When the club drafted Lee, the thought was that his speed would make him an ideal replacement for veteran Keith Brooking on passing downs.

That plan has changed. The club now wants Lee to focus on special teams and his role in the base defense. He has switched to backing up Bradie James.
``He (Lee) has got a lot on his plate,'' Phillips said.

The candidates for the spot include linebacker Jason Williams, rookie strong safety Danny McCray, veteran strong safety Gerald Sensabaugh and Brooking. Williams and McCray will get plays at the spot during Thursday's game against Miami.

``We have a good feeling as to what we're doing to do, but if somebody could really play well and make a different there, we'll find out,'' Phillips said.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Lee is going to be such a good player for us. Thanks, Philiadelphia. That's the second great linebacker you helped us get.

C

Cr122

I'm the official Sean Lee supporter.

He's going to be a star in this league.

Reaction score
Could this also be because he was absent Saturday night? I was hoping he'd have another stellar play, but he didn't.

C

Cr122

Oh, he will. We're going to be playing our scrubs and bubble boys Thursday night.

lol Scrubs and bubble boys.

I'd like to see more of Leon Williams and Brandon Sharpe, both of which I think will be cut, also Bowen and Hatcher, I want to see if anyone else can help us in the run game in case Spears has trouble coming back.

I really didn't notice until these last few games how important he is to our run defense.

C

Cr122

I also think if Lee didn't miss a considerable amount of time in camp, he would be stating right now, I truly believe that.

C

Cr122

If you go back and look and the last game Lee played in, he is always around the ball.

He either has made the tackle or is assisting on one. He's very fast and can run sideline to sideline without any problems.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I also think if Lee didn't miss a considerable amount of time in camp, he would be stating right now, I truly believe that.

I disagree there. He wouldn't be starting over James or Brooking.

He will be starting next year I believe. This guy is going to be the Peyton Manning of linebackers. He even looks like him too.

C

Cr122

He will be starting next year I believe. This guy is going to be the Peyton Manning of linebackers. He even looks like him too.

Sorry, I should of been more clearer, on the nickel and dime situations.

C

Cr122

And I don't think Jason Williams is fast enough to play in the nickel defense.

Watch Thursday night, I bet he get's toasted in coverage and he has trouble going sideline to sideline.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Are you fucking serious?

C

Cr122

I won't go as far to say that.

But he will be a special linebacker in this league.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think he'll be a damn good linebacker if his knee AIDS goes away.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I won't go as far to say that.

But he will be a special linebacker in this league.

What I mean was how he studies the game like Peyton Does and how intelligent he is. As far as talent he won't be a Ray Lewis I don't think.

Top Bottom