Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
geez, this is the guy mosely says we have as the guy we want...

this is all we need.

Reaction score
The excitement from Dontari Poe’s phenomenal Scouting Combine performance is starting to fade in the eyes of many league observers, who are turning their attention back to Poe’s tape — and not liking what they’re seeing

--
That sounds made up.

Everybody loves to act like they're old school and these workouts mean nothing. "Vernon gholston! Bruce cambell!"

What about Vernon Davis, Chris Johnson, or bob sanders?

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Guess Mayock dropped him down to the #4 DT or DL in the draft after watching his film.

It's amazing how supposed "gurus" fall prey to the spandex championships like fans do.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He was generally considered a 1st/2nd round pick before the Combine.

I think he received a 2nd round grade from some company that players submit their footage to in order to get an idea of where they would go.

He even said something similar to being a 2nd rounder if he performed well at the combine. He might have said 2nd with a good performance putting him into the 1st. I can't remember but either way he wasn't considered to be at the top half of the round that's for damn sure.

Kind of makes you wonder why guys play at all.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
When you look at his tapes you come back wondering why he didn't flat out dominate against that level competition...

Not really. And there's not a ton of tape out there for anyone to see.

Memphis was an awful football team. Their defense gave up at least 41 pts in half their games and 35+ in 8 of the 12.

Its not hard for opposing coaches to figure out how to neutralize one guy. I doubt they have any other defensive players on their team that will play on Sundays.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
There's a thread at CZ where the guy who's at TheHuddleReport.com was on the radio and when asked about Poe he said.

"Poe is a puss".

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Not really. And there's not a ton of tape out there for anyone to see.

Memphis was an awful football team. Their defense gave up at least 41 pts in half their games and 35+ in 8 of the 12.

Its not hard for opposing coaches to figure out how to neutralize one guy. I doubt they have any other defensive players on their team that will play on Sundays.

Teams didn't do anything special for him. Certainly not anything that other DTs didn't have done to them against better competition. He just wasn't productive. He faced more one-on-one's in the game vs. Tulane (I believe) than he did double teams and many of the doubles came on 3 man rushes after the helping OL recognized he had no one to block, at which point he provided help.

For the 2009, 2010 and 2011 season here are a few stats.

Dontari Poe:

Solo Tackles: 57

Tackles For Loss: 21.5

Sacks: 5

Pass Breakups: 4

Unknown Player:

Solo Tackles: 103

Tackles For Loss: 33

You've probably already guess that "unknown player" was a teammate of Poe's. His name's Frank Trotter and he played DL. Looks like he played DE.

Based on his play, Poe probably shouldn't be playing on Sundays either. He's shown nothing other than size and speed. Complete project and I think if he ever pans out it will be a testament to coaching because he's gonna need a shit ton of it.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Teams didn't do anything special for him. Certainly not anything that other DTs didn't have done to them against better competition. He just wasn't productive. He faced more one-on-one's in the game vs. Tulane (I believe) than he did double teams and many of the doubles came on 3 man rushes after the helping OL recognized he had no one to block, at which point he provided help.

For the 2009, 2010 and 2011 season here are a few stats.

Dontari Poe:

Solo Tackles: 57

Tackles For Loss: 21.5

Unknown Player:

Solo Tackles: 103

Tackles For Loss: 33

You've probably already guess that "unknown player" was a teammate of Poe's. His name's Frank Trotter and he played DL. Looks like he played DE.

Based on his play, Poe probably shouldn't be playing on Sundays either. He's shown nothing other than size and speed. Complete project and I think if he ever pans out it will be a testament to coaching because he's gonna need a shit ton of it.

Sooooo..you don't like Poe?

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I guess the guy said "pus", not "puss" but the OP was unsure of the difference.

Made for much better commentary though.

Top Bottom