Reaction score
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 40m

Dallas Cowboys are releasing QB Kyle Orton, per source.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 14m

Releasing QB Kyle Orton adds $1.1275M in dead money to Cowboys' 2014 cap and $2.255M Cowboys' 2015 cap, as @spotrac alluded.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
if this was some sort of gambit to sign with someone else, I'll be pissed

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
if this was some sort of gambit to sign with someone else, I'll be pissed

So what if it is. The guy is not that good. I'd rather have a Weeden that gives a shit than a guy that wants out.

I just wonder what the eff Orton's end game is.

Take Jerry's money. Check.

Now is it retire or get another gig with another owner soft enough in the head to pay top dollar to a guy who lost his job to Tim Tebow?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Jerry is a moron. Why not make him retire and pay back that 3 mill? Nah, he just bent over again and asked for extra spooge with his butt fucking.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Jerry is a moron. Why not make him retire and pay back that 3 mill? Nah, he just bent over again and asked for extra spooge with his butt fucking.

A real fan is just glad he is gone and doesn't mention Jerry Jones. Yeah.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
If he wanted to retire, he wouldn't have strung us out like this. If you want to play for someone else, ask for a trade. Don't be a dick and force the issue. We're fucked because he's better than Weeden and we receive no compensation if he signs somewhere else.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If he wanted to retire, he wouldn't have strung us out like this. If you want to play for someone else, ask for a trade. Don't be a dick and force the issue. We're fucked because he's better than Weeden and we receive no compensation if he signs somewhere else.
That and the cap hit is why you don't cut him.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Well, I'm glad Linus finally got rid of his security blanket.

It must have been agonizing for him.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He has a name, fucker. It's Manziel. And hes so good even Lebron went back to Cleveland just to play in the same city as him
:rolfanim

And look! The Edmund Fitzgerald even came up off the bottom of fucking lake Erie, to get back to Cleveland too!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I don't think you can make a player retire. I guess they could put him on reserve/did not report once camp starts, but I believe he still counts against the cap.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don't think you can make a player retire. I guess they could put him on reserve/did not report once camp starts, but I believe he still counts against the cap.
You can fine his ass off while keeping him on the roster and then not play him at all, much less cap hit than cutting him is.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
You can fine his ass off while keeping him on the roster and then not play him at all, much less cap hit than cutting him is.

Plus, you force his hand. He can either sit the bench or pay back what is owed to the club if he doesn't want to play.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Plus, you force his hand. He can either sit the bench or pay back what is owed to the club if he doesn't want to play.
He can report to camp and save himself millions in fines, then sit on the bench all season fulfilling his contract.

I see nothing at all which would compel Jerry to give up his advantage here by cutting him.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
He can report to camp and save himself millions in fines, then sit on the bench all season fulfilling his contract.

I see nothing at all which would compel Jerry to give up his advantage here by cutting him.

Why would he cut Ratliff instead of making him sit the IR all year?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Okay, now I understand this.
Kyle Orton to be released by Dallas Cowboys

By Dan Hanzus
Around the League Writer
Published: July 15, 2014 at 05:35 p.m.
Updated: July 15, 2014 at 07:41 p.m.

The Dallas Cowboys are moving on from Kyle Orton.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday the Cowboys have informed Orton he will be released, according to a source who has spoken to the player. ESPN's Adam Schefter first reported the team's decision.

The move comes after Orton -- who has been heavily leaning toward retirement -- failed to show up for any of the Cowboys' offseason activities. The Cowboys had been optimistic Orton would return for another season because of the substantial amount of money the quarterback would give up by ending his career at age 31.

The Cowboys' decision to release Orton means the quarterback will not have to pay back the $3.25 million in prorated signing bonus he received. Rapoport reported the Cowboys do gain about $2 million in cap space, which could be put toward getting a long-term deal done with Dez Bryant.

The decision is bittersweet for the Cowboys, who are undoubtedly happy to rid themselves of a potential training camp distraction but also must face the reality that Brandon Weeden is in line to be the team's starter if Tony Romo misses time. Orton was one of the more capable backups in the NFL. Weeden is a huge question mark, to say the least.

Weeden took all the first-team reps in minicamp as Romo continued his recovery from back surgery. The Cowboys have thought highly of Weeden's potential going back to his college days at Oklahoma State, but installing him as Romo's understudy is another level of belief.

Don't be surprised if another veteran enters the mix.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000365392/article/kyle-orton-to-be-released-by-dallas-cowboys

He's going to retire.

Top Bottom