Reaction score
Stephen Jones: DeMarco Murray has ‘only increased our desire’ to sign him long-term
By Jon Machota

Dallas Cowboys chief operating officer Stephen Jones said in July that the team didn’t plan on having any contract talks with DeMarco Murray’s agent during the season.

Jones said they’d wait to see how the year played out.

Through the first two games of the season, Murray is leading the NFL in rushing with 285 yards and two touchdowns.

Jones was asked Monday about where the Cowboys stand with getting Murray a new contract.

“We certainly wouldn’t be against that,” Jones said Monday on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “Long term, we’ve told DeMarco that we’d love to have him here. At the end of the day, it’s no different than Dez [Bryant], we want to keep our good players and DeMarco is one of them. I think I said something to that effect in camp. He’s a guy that we would like to see stay here long term. He’s certainly only increased our desire to have him stay.”

Like Bryant, Murray is in the final year of his rookie deal. While Bryant is a higher priority, the Cowboys could elect to use the franchise tag on their star receiver.

Murray, 26, is coming off his first Pro Bowl season. The former third-round pick set career-highs, rushing for 1,121 yards and nine touchdowns in 14 games.

“Running backs have kind’ve evolved in this league,” Jones said in July. “It’s tough for running backs to have a lot of longevity, but there are ones that do. DeMarco’s a leader and he takes good care of himself. I think his best football is ahead of him.”

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm not in any hurry to re-sign either guy. Letting them play out the season under their original deals is a good idea IMO.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'd sign Dez now..because that's the right thing to do Doomsday....and hold the threat of the Franchise Tag over Murray with the hope that he signed a team friendly long-term deal. I'd never use the Franchise Tag on Murray, but I'd want him to think I might.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'd sign Dez now..because that's the right thing to do Doomsday....
Because he has performed well? What we've already compensated him for?

Please answer me this because seriously, I don't know what happened and I hope somebody does - we were getting all sunshine and rainbow reports that Dez was gonna be signed to a new deal before the opener. It didn't happen. Why? I just want to know what put the brakes on.

We couldn't get a deal with him this offseason, so I believe it is prudent to wait until this last season of his deal plays out before coming back to the table.

Tass

Spectator
Reaction score
I think Dez is overrated. He's good but he isn't top 5 good. Dude is dinged up a lot and has an attitude at times.

I like the guy but my man wants Megatron money. Uhhh...no.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think Dez is overrated. He's good but he isn't top 5 good. Dude is dinged up a lot and has an attitude at times.

I like the guy but my man wants Megatron money. Uhhh...no.
Here's my top ten current WRs:

1. Johnson. hands down.
2. Julio Jones
3. Fitzgerald
4. Green
5. Harvin
6. Marshall
7. Thomas
8. Bryant
9. Nelson
10. Nicks

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Regarding Murray, none of this matters. If Jerry is in charge next year, and he most likely will be, we will let Murray walk and sign Adrian Peterson. Accept that now.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Jeffries is pretty bad ass. Has nicks resurrected his career or something?

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
1. Johnson. hands down. No doubt.
2. Julio Jones
3. Fitzgerald Love him but not anymore. He isn't even top WR on his team.
4. Green
5. Harvin Great player but doesn't belong in this conversation.
6. Marshall
7. Thomas
8. Bryant I think many could make the argument that 2, 4, 6, 7, and 8 are all in the mix for next best thing to Megatron.
9. Nelson Nope, best white WR though.
10. Nicks Nope.

Reaction score
Dez gets knocked for being "dinged up a lot" and Harvin and Nicks make this list? :LOL

It's like you got a top 6 and Dez was in it and you just started throwing shit against the wall to move him down.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
At least Stephen said they'd let the season play out first. The way Jerry operates, he'd sign him now and Murray would tear his ACL or something.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Regarding Murray, none of this matters. If Jerry is in charge next year, and he most likely will be, we will let Murray walk and sign Adrian Peterson. Accept that now.

that would figure for GM dunderhead

Reaction score
I'm curious if the same people who think Dez is over rated think Murray is worth an extension.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
think Murray is worth an extension.
Interesting how, in his contract year, he is avoiding injury for the first time ever. Hell no, ride him like a rented mule this year then either trade him or let him go FA. It's a RB, they have short shelf life anymore.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dooms, think he is referring to you
Reading around you'll see at least three others who have said Dez is overrated, in just the last couple of days.

I answered the question about Murray, you'll also see.

I never said Dez is overrated, I rate him at about another 12 million deal.

Top Bottom