bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Hopefully Williams figures out that this may indeed be his last shot at the NFL, and plays like his career depends on it

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I mean, it's kind of like with McClain. Of course these former high draft picks are going to look good... They were picked high for a reason. They washed out for other reasons, reasons which usually don't just go away.

Reaction score
That's true ... most high picks that washed out will end up washing out again.

But if 10% of these guys defy the odds and end up contributing, maybe it is still worth it -- so long as next to nothing has been invested and the distraction factor is minimized.

Reaction score
I'm sure they will, but you can't keep a third string RB on the roster if he doesn't contribute on ST's.

Especially on a team who places running the ball on the back burner.

why wouldn't he play STs?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
says who

Just about every article written about him references him having to be good at STs to make the team over Randle. Stating that Randle has experience at playing STs and that Williams does not.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Randle also has the advantage of being 100% healthy and having WR type hands.

There were talks before last yrs draft by some that if he couldn't make it as a RB, some teams thought he could be moved to WR because his hands and route running were so good.

Reaction score
Just about every article written about him references him having to be good at STs to make the team over Randle. Stating that Randle has experience at playing STs and that Williams does not.

he only doesn't have it because the coach in AZ wouldn't let him on. Which isn't surprising since he was a high pick and injured. in this article he at least has the right attitude (i can run down the field and hit someone)

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That's true ... most high picks that washed out will end up washing out again.

But if 10% of these guys defy the odds and end up contributing, maybe it is still worth it -- so long as next to nothing has been invested and the distraction factor is minimized.

Oh yeah, I have no problem at all with giving him a look. I guess I just get a Spellman/Coryatt/Westbrook/Hardy type vibe with these guys.

But true, if you try enough of them, one or two might work.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I have no problem at all with giving him a look. I guess I just get a Spellman/Coryatt/Westbrook/Hardy type vibe with these guys.

But true, if you try enough of them, one or two might work.

I'm all for giving him a shot. I just don't see it happening... mainly because of injuries. If somehow Dunbar gets hurt, the chances obviously go up exponentially.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Scout’s Eye: First Good Look At New RB Ryan Williams

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OXNARD, Calif. – Continuing with the tape from Sunday afternoon’s practice, I wanted to highlight two old faces – and one new one fans will be interested to hear about.

Didn’t honestly know a great deal about Ryan Williams or the type of game he plays, but I have to admit he is growing on me. His film from his days at Arizona was okay and nothing special. What I have noticed about him seeing him now in person -- there is a pace in which he plays. There is some elusiveness to his game with the ball in his hands.

He does show that ability to make people miss when he is going to and through the hole. I didn’t believe he had the quickness, say, of a back like Lance Dunbar , but there are snaps where he appears just that. There is acceleration and a burst in his play. He can get the ball around the corner and into the secondary.
He has done a nice job of keeping his pads down when taking on defenders. What really has impressed me has been his ability to catch the ball on the move.

If there is an area he is working on, it’s pass protection. In Arizona, that part of his game was awful with
poor effort and technique. Since this camp opened, he has done a much better job of staying square and taking on the rusher. There has been improvement here.
Full write up:
Scout's Eye: First Good Look At New RB Ryan Williams
Broaddus.

Reaction score
Randle also has the advantage of being 100% healthy and having WR type hands.

There were talks before last yrs draft by some that if he couldn't make it as a RB, some teams thought he could be moved to WR because his hands and route running were so good.

Just a question for you. If a defense knows your basic system, the philosophy of the routes and the 9 basic branches of the routes, AND then you are slower than most LBs, what real difference are you going to make with your route "running" and when would you ever have a chance to show off your catching ability? How would such a putz be considered a WR?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Just a question for you. If a defense knows your basic system, the philosophy of the routes and the 9 basic branches of the routes, AND then you are slower than most LBs, what real difference are you going to make with your route "running" and when would you ever have a chance to show off your catching ability? How would such a putz be considered a WR?

Good grief

Top Bottom