Reaction score
By Carlos Mendez

cmendez@star-telegram.com

IRVING -- Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is looking forward to a "do-over" against the Philadelphia Eagles on Saturday because this time, he knows more about their offense and he'll have linebacker Sean Lee back in the lineup.

"There's no excuses. I had way too much on the plate last time. We got embarrassed, and it was completely my fault," Ryan said Thursday in his weekly media session at Valley Ranch. "But Sean Lee is our signal-caller. He makes all the checks and everything. When he goes down early, it had already been rough enough on us, and then it makes it really tough."

Lee, the Cowboys' leading tackler, went out with a dislocated wrist on the second series, with the Eagles ahead 7-0 in what turned out to be a 34-7 victory for Philadelphia on Oct. 30.

The Cowboys will likely be missing only backup safety Danny McCray and backup nose tackle Josh Brent, although nose tackle Jay Ratliff (rib muscle strain) and linebacker DeMarcus Ware (neck stinger) have been limited in practice this week.

"We're excited about having everybody," Ryan said. "We're at full strength. We have no excuses.... Any time you embarrass yourself, I think you want to go back out and get a do-over, so this is my chance."

Felix Jones watch

The Cowboys still are hopeful Felix Jones will play Saturday despite the running back missing another day of practice because of tightness in his hamstring.

Jones worked on the side with associate athletic trainer Britt Brown as the team began Thursday's practice. He was running and cutting, seemingly without problems.

Owner Jerry Jones expects Jones to be ready to go against the Eagles.

"He's going to be involved in all team stuff," the owner said Thursday. "He should be able to get anything he needs to get about the game plan, about what we're trying to do. We'll just let this thing get measured."

Felix Jones, who has 521 yards this season, has not practiced with the team this week. Coach Jason Garrett remains optimistic that Jones can play against the Eagles.

Otherwise, the Cowboys will have to use 12-year veteran Sammy Morris, signed off the street last week after spending the regular season out of football.

Morris gained 53 yards on 12 carries last week against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Kevin Ogletree, who hurt a knee in a collision in practice this week, also sat out practice, as did Danny McCray (high ankle sprain), Josh Brent (knee) and receiver Andre Holmes (hamstring).

Kitna's future

Backup quarterback Jon Kitna is 39. He contemplated retirement before coming back for this, his 15th season. He is in the final year of his contract, and he is on injured reserve with a back injury.

But Jerry Jones said that as far as he knows, Kitna is undecided on his future.

"I'm sure he's very capable of being a player, apart from the impact of his back," Jones said. "I think that's going to be the [deciding] factor in his career plans."

Kitna was inactive for four games, as the Cowboys gave him time to see if his back would heal. They finally placed Kitna on injured reserve on Dec. 14. Stephen McGee is the only backup on the 53-player roster.

Jones said Kitna tried to throw two weeks ago.

"He got out and threw a few balls before the New York game," Jones said. "It didn't feel good. As a matter of fact, it actually bothered him a little bit. That impacted our decision a little bit, how much we were dreaming if we could get him back for the playoffs. Kind of discouraged us."

Kitna has passed for 29,745 yards and 169 touchdowns in his career with four teams. He has spent three seasons in Dallas.

C

Cr122

I don't mind him taking the blame it's what coaches do, but the reality of it is we need better players defensively.

Let's be honest here we knew it would be a work in progress.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't mind him taking the blame it's what coaches do, but the reality of it is we need better players defensively.

Let's be honest here we knew it would be a work in progress.

I agree, we need help on all 3 levels. We need another quality DL. We probably have our ILB #2 in Carter, but there needs to be someone added at OLB that can take pressure off Ware. We definitely need help in the secondary at FS and probably CB

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Hey gang, I'm back for the holidays...

This defense continually collapses and it doesn't help that half the players have an IQ of 60 or below. I hope this is Newman's last year because if it isn't then it will be mine.

C

Cr122

Hey gang, I'm back for the holidays...

This defense continually collapses and it doesn't help that half the players have an IQ of 60 or below. I hope this is Newman's last year because if it isn't then it will be mine.

Welcome back. I guess we won't be seeing you next year then.

It's Jerruh that needs to be convinced of this. Our coaches hands are tied because of it.

Remember, he resigned Sensabaugh already. I know he's done okay this year, but he's still a liability in coverage.

Just an example.

Reaction score
As the resident Rob Ryan homer, i didn’t like that he used the Lee injury as an excuse. I think it was 21-0 when he got hurt. For whatever reason there were huge holes in the D-line. Players have to use strict gap control against Philly. Watch those fucking screens and slip screens...oh yea, let’s cover the tight ends this time.

DragonCowboy

Spectator
Reaction score
As the resident Rob Ryan homer, i didn’t like that he used the Lee injury as an excuse. I think it was 21-0 when he got hurt. For whatever reason there were huge holes in the D-line. Players have to use strict gap control against Philly. Watch those fucking screens and slip screens...oh yea, let’s cover the tight ends this time.

Err 7-0.

But yeah even with Sean Lee in the whole vibe that we couldn't stop them was there already.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think Ryan acknowledged that. Sean Lee in the game = rough (we were already getting beat) Lee Goes Down = Fuck us

DragonCowboy

Spectator
Reaction score
I think Ryan acknowledged that. Sean Lee in the game = rough (we were already getting beat) Lee Goes Down = Fuck us

Didn't he change up the way it works so that now they radio the call in and they signal from the sideline?

Defense looked good against Tampa, but you can say Tampa's offense is horrible. Guess this will be a good test for the D.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I agree, we need help on all 3 levels. We need another quality DL. We probably have our ILB #2 in Carter, but there needs to be someone added at OLB that can take pressure off Ware. We definitely need help in the secondary at FS and probably CB

Probably CB? That would be #1 or #2 on my list if I were the FO. We don't just need another starter on the outside opposite Jenkins, thereby keeping OScan in the slot, but some quality depth if Ryan is going to continually use 5 or 6 DBs.

Last edited:
C

Cr122

Thers's no doubt we need another corner. Newman's slowly declining as a corner.

And no, I don't want him as a safety either.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Probably CB? That would be #1 or #2 on my list if I were the FO. We don't just need another starter on the outside opposite Jenkins, thereby keeping OScan in the slot, but some quality depth if Ryan is going to continually use 5 or 6 DBs.

I'd like to see more of Mario Butler. He was having a very good camp.

But one thing for sure: no more drafting marginal CBs and trying to convert them to either FS or SS.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'd like to see more of Mario Butler. He was having a very good camp.

But one thing for sure: no more drafting marginal CBs and trying to convert them to either FS or SS.

I'd throw, no more drafting small school corners, in there too.

Top Bottom