Reaction score
Romo to Cowboys: No one can beat me out
May, 14, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Dallas Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones told SiriusXM radio Wednesday afternoon that he had a chat with Tony Romo regarding speculation the team might draft a quarterback.

The Cowboys didn't, bypassing Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel at No. 16 overall and instead taking Notre Dame tackle Zack Martin. The team did not use any of its nine picks to select a quarterback.

With talk about whether the Cowboys should draft a quarterback to eventually replace Romo so prevalent, Jones said he wanted to remind Romo about the team's commitment to him.

But Romo's confidence in his abilities never wavered.

"We did it, everybody had a visit with him along the way," Jones said. "Jerry [Jones, Cowboys owner/GM] included, myself included, and told him how this is his football team and how much we think of him and with all the rumors flying around not to pay attention to that. His response is, as you might expect from Tony, it was 'Well if you decide to, it ain't going to matter, there's not anybody out there that can beat me out.' "

Stephen Jones said during the interview there's a belief Romo can play at least four more seasons, and there was no need to draft a quarterback to sit and watch despite Romo's age (34) and ongoing recovery from a second back surgery.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't mind Romo being cocky but maybe shut it til you shake the whole disastrous-turnovers-in-clutch-situations thing.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I hate the way they coddle their players, its the fucking NFL and no one's job is safe and if any player can't handle the competition, hit the road jack.

It should be SOP to let it be known to every player on the team that they can and will be replaced at any time, nothing personal that's just the NFL biz, create competition at every position possible and cut the drafting backups bullshit

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I don't mind Romo being cocky but maybe shut it til you shake the whole disastrous-turnovers-in-clutch-situations thing.

He doesn't seem so arrogant when he is walking off the field after one of his late game interceptions. Usually he hangs his head and looks for a WR to blame it on.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I hate the way they coddle their players, its the fucking NFL and no one's job is safe and if any player can't handle the competition, hit the road jack.

It should be SOP to let it be known to every player on the team that they can and will be replaced at any time, nothing personal that's just the NFL biz, create competition at every position possible and cut the drafting backups bullshit

Jerry has made it clear that he doesn't want Romo to feel threatened. Romo will never have competition for his job.

Reaction score

Agree.

Unfortunately we usually sign our vets to deals that give them guaranteed security.

Andrew Luck could've fallen to our spot and were still tied to Romo.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Statistically,Romo's one of the top QBs in the league.
There's a lot of upside to Romo's game,and I think we can all agree there have been some really bone headed moves by coaches and front office during his tenure.
OTOH,we've all seen that deer in the headlights look too many times.Some of Romo's moves are questionable to say the least,others downright ridiculous.
Romo's self confidence is heartening but he also has to understand there is someone capable of beating him out:Tony Romo.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Agree.

Unfortunately we usually sign our vets to deals that give them guaranteed security.

Andrew Luck could've fallen to our spot and were still tied to Romo.

Sickening, I dont understand why its so hard for the jones bozos to take this obvious stance, especially when they've already paid the player shitloads of money. Theirs your security, but it should stop there. Are they afraid of their players or what?? I think they get too close to the players and that exacerbates the problem

Reaction score

Every retired QB ever will say the opposite.

Reaction score
can you elaborate, I'm not following you here, thx

How many times have you heard Staubach and Aikman talk about how when your QB is the guy he has to be THE guy? You can't have them looking over their shoulder, you can't have the whole team second-guessing every decision they make, wondering if they'd be better off with the young guy.

Top Bottom