Reaction score
http://http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/cowboys-qb-tony-romo-until-training-camp-following-124643565.html

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo will miss his team's OTA practices after undergoing a minor surgical procedure to remove a cyst from his back, Todd Archer of ESPN Dallas reports.

The Cowboys' three-week OTA period begins on Tuesday and end on June 6. The Cowboys have a mini-camp scheduled for June 11-13, but the report suggests that Romo will be on the shelf until the team opens training camp in Oxnard, California on July 19.

Romo, 33, had a career-high 4,903 yards and his 28 touchdown passes were the third-most in his seven seasons as the Cowboys' starting quarterback. Romo also equaled a career-high and led the NFL with 19 interceptions. Those turnovers.

This is a big offseason for Romo, who signed a six-year, $108 million extension that included $55 million in guaranteed money on April 1. Following the 2013 NFL draft, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said that Romo was going to be putting in "Peyton Manning-like hours" at the team's facility as Romo will have greater input in the team's offensive game-planning.

Romo, who cut back on the time he spends on the golf course in the offseason, can still put in that time at the facility, but the surgery means he will not get on-field work with the first-team offense until training camp.

With Romo on the mend, Kyle Orton will work with the No. 1 offense. First-year quarterback Nick Stephens, who went to training camp with the Tennessee Titans last season, and undrafted rookie Dalton Williams will get more work, as well. The Cowboys are currently at their 90-man roster limit and would need to release a player to add another quarterback for the OTAs and mini-camp.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
funny how the media and fans said that he wasn't playing golf because he was more focused on the team

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If somebody gave me a 100 million dollar contract I wouldn't let a cysts keep me off the field. Pussy.........

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Those cysts generally are filled with a lot of infection causing bacteria. It is best he stays away until he goes through an course of antibiotics and lets the hold close which is why he won't be there.

mdawg65

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Those cysts generally are filled with a lot of infection causing bacteria. It is best he stays away until he goes through an course of antibiotics and lets the hold close which is why he won't be there.

In the off topic section someone posted a video of what they thought was a huge zit being popped, but what it was was a cyst. That's possibly what Romo has and if the cyst sac was ever burst internally he would be looking at a nasty infection and worse problems than just a couple of stitches and a short period of time off.

Also if anyone has ever been around a person when one of those things is being lanced the smell is unbelievably gross. I would rather have him go get the thing fixed and come back later.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
A cyst is basically a staph infection right? I mean as far as appearance.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't remember how I came across it or even where I saw it (TV or web), but I saw one of these procedures a while ago and it was absolutely disgusting. Left a gaping hole that had to be packed with gauze religiously. I'm sure Romo's wasn't as bad as that one, but damn. Just nasty.

Was that something someone on here put up? Seems like something one of you sick bastards would post.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
For old time's sake. Anyone have a link to when Hostile claimed credit for the backwards cap invention?

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
I had one removed on my back and yes the smell was a cross between vomit and shit that had sat in a toilet for 50 years. I had to take antibiotics for 10 days even though they had removed the sac that it was in in whole, just to be sure. After about 8 days the stitches fell out and I was fine, but I was told not to do any group activities until the Dr. had seen me again after the 10 days.

I'm guessing they had a lot better stuff in Sports Medicine than I had, but at the same time, I'm willing to bet this is exactly why they did this. And yes, they try to let it drain first and see if it will go away before ever doing surgery as a broken sac means it can move around under your skin and cause serious infections to you and others around you.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Last time our starting QB had offseason back surgery, we won the super bowl.

Just sayin

Top Bottom