Reaction score
Roger Goodell talks 'formal rotation' for 'Hard Knocks'
By Dan Hanzus
Published: June 26, 2013 at 02:17 p.m. Updated: June 27, 2013 at 10:50 a.m.

The Cincinnati Bengals will be the featured team on HBO's "Hard Knocks" when a new season premieres Aug. 6.

It will mark the Bengals' second star turn on the popular documentary series in the last four years. If NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has his way, more teams will be involved with the show going forward.

"We're talking about some kind of formal rotation where teams participate in the show on a more regular basis," Goodell told the Bengals' team site last week. "Not necessarily more frequently, but on a regular basis so that it is a shared obligation and it would give more teams an opportunity to have this."

"Hard Knocks" is beloved programming for NFL fans, but many teams have chosen to keep the all-access show at a distance. It was reported that the Houston Texans, Washington Redskins, San Francisco 49ers and Atlanta Falcons all turned down an offer to appear on the show this summer. Seahawks general manager John Schneider told "PFT Live" that his team was also approached, but Seattle was not interested.

Goodell is an obviously persuasive force within the NFL sphere, so don't be surprised if we begin to see improved participation going forward. This is not a bad thing for NFL fans.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The NFL is about selling the product so I can see him assigning it to a new team each year. Just like the NCAA mandated college coaches having to give halftime interviews going in or out of the locker rooms. Some coaches hate it and give short answers but they all have to do it.

He could just tell them they are all in line to do it, pick a name out of a hat, and tell them to suck it up. He works for the owners but in the end, the owners understand this is about selling the product aka more revenue.

He could also split each year up into 4 teams (less entertaining in my view) so at most a team has to deal with the cameras for a week.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I wish Goodell would DIAF

This could be a good thing because it would mean that Dallas is only slotted once every 32 years instead of whenever Jerry needs to get some extra merch out the door.

I'm for it.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The NFL is about selling the product so I can see him assigning it to a new team each year. Just like the NCAA mandated college coaches having to give halftime interviews going in or out of the locker rooms. Some coaches hate it and give short answers but they all have to do it.

He could just tell them they are all in line to do it, pick a name out of a hat, and tell them to suck it up. He works for the owners but in the end, the owners understand this is about selling the product aka more revenue.

He could also split each year up into 4 teams (less entertaining in my view) so at most a team has to deal with the cameras for a week.

Split filming would kind of kill rooting for underdogs who the show seems to like to put on display. Well, at least they did with Lowbar and a few other guys who long shots to make the team.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The Ravens was the first one in 2001. Then us in 2002. Apparently we ruined it, since HBO stopped it for like 5 years. The Jaguars did theirs in 2004 which was on NFLNetwork. HBO started back up in 2007.

Don't ever challenge me Texas Ace. I'm an expert on HBO and football. Bow down.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
That's right about the Jags being on NFLN and not HBO.....but I thought it was 2000 or 2001?

Oof.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Stop trying to drum up attention Bob. SP is gone. You're the number one headache once again.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
This is Goodell saying, "Oh, you don't want to volunteer? Ok. You're up!"

Top Bottom