Reaction score
Not guessing.

If Jason Garrett fails to get the Cowboys to the playoffs, but the Cowboys defense shows respectable improvement.... Rod Marinelli will be our head coach in 2015.

That will allow team to likely keep most of the offensive staff - thus not upsetting Romo with having to learn a new offense at 35 years old. Also it will allow Jerry to stay comfortable. Not having to hire a strong personality at head coach.

I know Marinelli failed miserably in Detroit, but outside of Bobby Ross I can't think of a head coach to have success there. Plus, Matt Millen might be the only GM worse than Jerry.

Also, there are instances of head coaches failing in one spot and then having some success their next gig.

Anyone think this is likely? Makes a lot of sense to me. And I wouldn't really hate it too bad.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It would still be a step up. Think Garrett would do any better with those terrible QBs and Millen drafting busts every year?

Really though, I've thought Jerry would hire an offensive coach and keep RM in place. I'm sure most coaches would be perfectly fine with him as DC.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Losing Garrett is a plus but hiring Marinelli and keeping the majority of the staff is just more of the same. Jerry is still clearly in charge, the players feel safe, and there's no actual improvement. At that point, I'd pretty much wrap up my Cowboy fandom. The only thing keeping me going this year is the idea that Garrett fails miserably enough for Jerry to have to step back and bring in the next Parcells.

Reaction score
Who is "the next parcels?"

Jerry will never walk on eggshells again. He got his stadium.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Before this year I would have said Gruden is the only big name out there who could put Jerry in the corner but the recent issues in San Francisco makes me think Jim Harbaugh might be available next year too.

Reaction score
Jerry's never going back into the corner.

He's having too much fun and his family is too. He's rather flounder his way than win in the background. And really... Parcels not having much more success than Garrett just reinforces his stance.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I still think a guy like Gruden would have the personality to let Jerry have his fun and do his talking but still coach the team. I don't think Harbaugh does -- he's a naturally more combative guy like a Parcells. But I think Gruden has that type of playful but sometimes commanding personality where he could sort of play both sides and make it work. I mean the guy worked for Al freaking Davis and had a lot of success.

Now would Jerry ever feel the need to hire him... Probably not. We'll squeak out a 9-7 record this year and Jerry will give his puppet a 5 year contract. :suicide

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Stephen arranged a meeting with Jerry and Gruden last offseason so I think it remains a possibility, even if it's a small one.

I do think Gruden has the ideal personality to balance Jerry, the Cowboys media, the expectations, and actually coach up this team.

Reaction score
Stephen arranged a meeting with Jerry and Gruden last offseason so I think it remains a possibility, even if it's a small one.

I do think Gruden has the ideal personality to balance Jerry, the Cowboys media, the expectations, and actually coach up this team.

Grudens commentary on Dallas MNF games throughout the Garrett tenure were always flavored with "if I were making decisions with this offense I would make different choices". One time Gruden was commenting that the Garrett running plays that instead of running the ball in a straight line for a TD behind the biggest player (Leonard Davis), Garrett was unsuccessfully sending Murray into TFLs. Gruden had a hint of frustration.

Bring him and the offense he will ride in on.

Reaction score
6-10 is the ideal record. Hopefully the D line is as shitty as I think it'll be. Almost any QB in the league can carve a defense up with time to throw. I want Garrett to be embarrassed over and over again this season. Hope I never have to see his ugly ginger red mug on tv ever again after week 17, and hopefully before it.

Reaction score
Grudens commentary on Dallas MNF games throughout the Garrett tenure were always flavored with "if I were making decisions with this offense I would make different choices". One time Gruden was commenting that the Garrett running plays that instead of running the ball in a straight line for a TD behind the biggest player (Leonard Davis), Garrett was unsuccessfully sending Murray into TFLs. Gruden had a hint of frustration.

Bring him and the offense he will ride in on.

Should have happened 4 years ago.

The worst part of all this has been semi-rooting for a team going no place but down because of something that could easily have been fixed.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Belichek was HORRIBLE coaching the Browns, he's had some success with the Patriots.

I wouldn't want Marinelli to coach the Cowboys, but there is some logic to this idea

Reaction score
I wouldn't say Belichick was horrible with the Browns. Got them to 11-5 one year.

But yeah, he's an example. And the Browns, like the Lions, are pretty hard team to have success with for whatever reason.

I didn't follow Marinellis coaching history. He could be one of the good coordinator/bad head coach guys.

But I think if Garrett is canned and our d is respectable, he'll get the nod.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not guessing.

If Jason Garrett fails to get the Cowboys to the playoffs, but the Cowboys defense shows respectable improvement.... Rod Marinelli will be our head coach in 2015.

That will allow team to likely keep most of the offensive staff - thus not upsetting Romo with having to learn a new offense at 35 years old. Also it will allow Jerry to stay comfortable. Not having to hire a strong personality at head coach.

I know Marinelli failed miserably in Detroit, but outside of Bobby Ross I can't think of a head coach to have success there. Plus, Matt Millen might be the only GM worse than Jerry.

Also, there are instances of head coaches failing in one spot and then having some success their next gig.

Anyone think this is likely? Makes a lot of sense to me. And I wouldn't really hate it too bad.

If the team tanked and Jones had to fire Garrett during the season, I could see Marinelli or Linehan maybe as the interim HC.

But there is no way Marinelli is the next permanent HC here

Top Bottom