Reaction score
details on Rob Ryan
According to Jay Glazer Tweet:

Jay_Glazer: Dallas is right now trying to work out a contract for Rob Ryan to become new coordinator of the Cowboys

C

Cr122

I think we better see a link from another source first, I'd hate for us to get pwned on this hire.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
As per NFLN

Rob Ryan appears ready to land on his feet with the Dallas Cowboys.

A source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora that the Cowboys met with Ryan on Friday and both sides came away impressed.

For more on the Dallas Cowboys, check out the latest from our bloggers.

» Blog Blitz: Cowboys
"Things went well," according to the source.

There is mutual interest and the sides are working towards a deal but nothing will get finalized tonight. There is an expectation on both sides, however, that a deal will come together quickly.

If Ryan joins the Cowboys, it would leave Arizona, Carolina, Denver and Cleveland (where Ryan left) as the remaining teams still seeking a defensive coordinator. Dick Jauron is expected to be the Browns' next coordinator, while the Cardinals and Panthers continue to interview candidates.

Ryan, the twin brother of New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan, has coached in the NFL for 12 years. He served as the Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator under Eric Mangini the past two seasons. He led the defense of the Oakland Raiders the previous five years.

The Fort Worth Star Telegram reported on Friday that Ryan spent a considerable part of the day at Dallas Cowboys offices interviewing for the position.

Mangini was fired last week by the Browns after two underwhelming seasons. Ryan has one year remaining on his contract in Cleveland but won't be asked to return under new head coach Pat Shurmur.

The Browns finished 15th in offensive points allowed with 19.4 per game and 22nd in yards allowed with 350.1 per

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
frpm ESPN.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys are working on a deal to make Rob Ryan the team's new defensive coordinator, according to a source.

More on the Cowboys

Calvin Watkins, Tim MacMahon and Todd Archer have the Dallas Cowboys blanketed for ESPNDallas.com. Blog
More: ESPN Dallas
10 In '10: Highlights Lowlights

Ryan interviewed with Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett and owner and general manager Jerry Jones on Friday. While he still had a year left on his deal in Cleveland, the Browns will go in a different direction under new coach Pat Shurmur.
Ryan, the twin brother of New York Jets had coach Rex Ryan, has spent the last two seasons as Cleveland's defensive coordinator after a five-year stint with the Oakland Raiders. He won two Super Bowl rings in New England as the Patriots' linebackers coach. His father Buddy was a long-time NFL coach and irked many Cowboys fans during his time in Philadelphia.

Cleveland had the 22nd ranked defense in 2010, allowing 350.1 yards per game, and it was tied for 13th with 20.8 points allowed per game. The Cowboys allowed 351.8 yards and 27.3 points per game in 2010. While not tremendous numbers, the Browns defense improved nine spots in yards in 2010 and had a spike in turnovers with 19 interceptions and nine fumble recoveries.

The Cowboys are committed to the 3-4 defense, and Ryan is the third coordinator Garrett interviewed that had experience in that system. However, San Diego scooped up Greg Manusky, and San Francisco is reportedly set to keep Vic Fangio with Jim Harbaugh. Paul Pasqualoni, who closed the season as the Cowboys' coordinator, is now the head coach at Connecticut.

If Ryan joins the fold, the Cowboys could have him coach another position or let him serve as coordinator only. They also need a defensive line coach with Pasqualoni's departure. Dallas recently denied Houston's request to talk to linebackers coach Reggie Herring but could allow that in the future.

Todd Archer covers the Cowboys for ESPNDallas.com. You can follow him on Twitter.

C

Cr122

Rob Ryan working out final details to become Cowboys defensive coordinator
Posted at 6:08 PM on Fri., Jan. 14, 2011 | Permalink
David Moore / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips
Rob Ryan is working out the final details of a contract that will make him the Cowboys defensive coordinator.

A source said Friday evening that an offer had been made and the two sides were working on the contract. Before Ryan left Valley Ranch, the first two candidates head coach Jason Garrett interviewed for the position were crossed off the list.

Ryan arrived at the team's practice facility this morning and didn't leave until shortly before 6 this evening. He met with Garrett for a large part of the day then was sheparded into the team's executive offices late in the afternoon to meet with owner Jerry Jones.

While all of this unfolded, San Diego announced that it had hired Greg Manusky to become it's defensive coordinator and reports surfaced that Vic Fangio has accepted a similar position with San Francisco. Those are the first two candidates Garrett interviewed for the position.

Ryan's interview went longer than those of Fangio or Manusky.

The Cowboys had also sought permission to interview Pittsburgh secondary coach Ray Horton, but were unable to proceed on that front since the Steelers are still in the playoffs.

Ryan has something in his favor that Horton does not: he has been a defensive coordinator in ther NFL for the past seven years. Horton has not held that position in his 17 years in the league as an assistant.

The question: Garrett has only eight games of experience as a head coach in the NFL. Is he willing to turn his defense over to someone with no experience as a defensive coordinator?

The answer was no. He has turned to Ryan.

C

Cr122

Damn, I hope Rob makes it to TC. He's looking pretty fat. lol

browns.jpg

casmith07

Spectator
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts...

1. I have to think that although the Browns only allowed 19.4 points per game, we have the personnel the allow even fewer ppg.

2. I also think that if we could be 15th in scoring def and allow 19.4ppg, we'll be very difficult to beat, since Garrett has shown that with better preparation and practice he can get backups to put up 30+ppg on offense.

3. ????

4. Championship!

sbk92

Reaction score
Hey, this black guy is impressed....

[video=youtube;-Cv8Qa7V-A8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cv8Qa7V-A8[/video]

sbk92

Reaction score
Just a few thoughts...

1. I have to think that although the Browns only allowed 19.4 points per game, we have the personnel the allow even fewer ppg.

2. I also think that if we could be 15th in scoring def and allow 19.4ppg, we'll be very difficult to beat, since Garrett has shown that with better preparation and practice he can get backups to put up 30+ppg on offense.

3. ????

4. Championship!

I honestly believe with Garrett running things and a Ryan coaching the defense, the pieces are in place for a Championship.

Now it's a matter of upgrading the personnel and having a little luck next year.

sbk92

Reaction score
I just have to expose this on here. This is what I mean about worthless reads. Very few fans can talk honestly and separate themselves from their rooting interests.

Over at C-F, blindfaith, one of the biggest homer pieces of shat I've ever cyber come across, had this reaction when the news first broke that we might interview Rob Ryan....

--

Don't buy it for a second and absolutely hate the idea.

Ryan, all Ryans for that matter are potential trouble. It would separate the team.

The goal is a cohesive coaching staff, one vision with everyone on the same page. The last thing Garrett wants (or needs) is a fat, loud mouthed, ego maniac that is overrated to boot.

http://www.cowboys-forum.com/showth...-his-twitter-that-we-are-going-after-Rob-Ryan.

--

Now. Less than 24 hours later, after it's all but a foregone conclusion that Ryan is our next defensive coordinator, he starts a thread on Ryan and states....

--

Garrett must feel comfortable that they can work together and that Ryan won't pull an us against them on him like his Dad did on Ditka.

I think he also see defense as more emotional and offense as more controlled and he is hiring an emotional leader for the defense.

It is an Odd Couple arrangement but if it brings the best of both units out and he can still keep the team's outlook as one team, one leader than it may turn out great.

http://www.cowboys-forum.com/showthread.php?14553-What-I-am-thinking-about-Ryan-as-DC

--

Now F my mother. He went from a fat, loud mouth overrated ego maniac to.....hey, it could turn out great...within a day.

Waste of space. And that is 90% or more of all the reads on these boards.

Top Bottom