Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
ESPN.com news services

The Pittsburgh Steelers, with a Hines Ward roster-bonus deadline fast approaching, have decided not to keep the veteran receiver, the NFL Network has reported, citing unnamed sources.

Ward, who lost his starting job in 2011, was scheduled to make $4 million in the last two years of his contract but has said he was willing to take a pay cut.

A decision is required by March 1 to satisfy a clause in his contract.

"I plan on playing with the Pittsburgh Steelers and going from there," Ward said last Thursday during Super Bowl week.

Speaking at the media center in Indianapolis, Ward called reports about his possible retirement "rumors," reiterating he wants to play next season.

Asked if he wanted to play three, four or five more years, the 35-year-old Ward laughed and said, "I don't know about that long."

Cythim

Reaction score
This is what good teams are able to do, dropping talent before it gets expensive or dries up. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Jerry wants to look at him.

Reaction score
Ward, Steelers deny his release
Feb
2/12/2012 7:59:22 AM
| More

If the Steelers have decided to release Hines Ward, it is news to Ward -- and maybe even the Steelers according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora, who also works for NFL.com, wrote that, according to his sources, "Ward won't be back."

A source close to Ward, however, said no one from the Steelers has indicated to him that the team plans to release him. Also, Steelers sources told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that no decision has been made regarding Ward's future with the team.

Ward, who could not be reached for comment, issued a statement on his Facebook page after the NFL report:

"I don't normally like to respond to rumors, but as I've said all along, I want to finish my career with the Pittsburgh Steelers. And as I've already told the organization, I am willing to work with them to restructure my contract to make sure this happens."

Ward has said many times that he wants to end his career in Pittsburgh, but he is determined to play somewhere in 2012, even if the Steelers do not want him. Ward, who turns 36 March 8, has played all 14 of his NFL seasons with the Steelers and holds nearly every team receiving record.

Top Bottom