Reaction score
Posted by Mike Florio on October 21, 2012, 10:02 AM EDT

After parlaying the second overall pick in the 2012 draft into three first-round picks and a second-round selection, Rams coach Jeff Fisher is looking to stockpile more selections on draft day.

Mike Lombardi of NFL Network reports that, with the trade deadline nine days away, the Rams are actively shopping players.

Lombardi named no names. But he said that the Rams are willing to flip players for picks because the Rams “know they’re not going to the Super Bowl this year.”

It’s a little premature to put a fork between the horns, however. At 3-3, the Rams could still steal a wild-card berth. And, as we’ve seen time and again in recent years, anyone with a seat at the postseason table can then run the table.

Thus, we don’t see this as a case of Fisher folding the tent, but as a delicate balance between determining which players aren’t needed for the present and whether and to what extent those men can be turned into draft picks than can help secure the team’s future.

The most intriguing player who could be traded is running back Steven Jackson. As rookie Daryl Richardson develops, and as the Rams reportedly plan to move forward without Jackson in 2013, could they move forward without him for the balance of the season, if the Rams want to give Jackson a chance to play for a contender. And if the Rams truly believe that they’re not a contender in 2012.

We’re not so sure that they’re not.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
That's smart. Remain competitive while purging your roster of dead weight.

We should have done that with Mike Jenkins and Felix Jones, knowing that we aren't close to winning a championship this year, and that both don't fit into the future plans. But Jerry is a fucking hoarder.

Last edited:

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Smart move.

They realize they're probably a little bit away from serious contention and are looking to build for the future.

If only Jerry could pull his head out of his ass long enough to see something other than the present.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Smart move.

They realize they're probably a little bit away from serious contention and are looking to build for the future.

If only Jerry could pull his head out of his ass long enough to see something other than the present.

He won't as long as he keeps seeing us as being 1 or 2 players away, when we're like 11 players away. At least.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I envy the rams

I guess I was wrong about fisher. He gets the big picture.

We should be doing the exact same thing. Unfortunately the next picks will be handled by the same people anyway.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Rams aren't trading Quinn or Long or any of their young talent. They are only looking to move players Fisher doesn't see a (St. Louis) future for.

overused

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I envy the rams

I guess I was wrong about fisher. He gets the big picture.

We should be doing the exact same thing. Unfortunately the next picks will be handled by the same people anyway.

yes he was my pick

a good coach

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well, this should be a terrifying next nine days. Do they have any scrub centers we can give a 3rd for? Maybe a 2nd?

BangersandMash

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Front office 101 is the 2s 3s and 4s are like gold when you're trying to completely rebuild a roster.

Top Bottom