Reaction score
Report: Cowboys DC Rod Marinelli to join Tampa Bay
Brandon Wise / CBSSports.com
January 11, 2015 05:37 PM

Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is reportedly leaving Dallas to take the same position with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk.

Marinelli and Bucs coach Lovie Smith coached together in Chicago from 2009-2012. He was also the defensive line coach in Tampa Bay from 1996-2005.

In his first year running the defense, Marinelli coached Dallas to the 19th best unit in the league this season, giving up the eighth fewest rushing yards per game at 103.1 and 251.9 passing yards.

Reaction score
Report: Cowboys DC Rod Marinelli to join Tampa Bay
Brandon Wise / CBSSports.com
January 11, 2015 05:37 PM

Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is reportedly leaving Dallas to take the same position with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk.

Marinelli and Bucs coach Lovie Smith coached together in Chicago from 2009-2012. He was also the defensive line coach in Tampa Bay from 1996-2005.

In his first year running the defense, Marinelli coached Dallas to the 19th best unit in the league this season, giving up the eighth fewest rushing yards per game at 103.1 and 251.9 passing yards.

hope that is wrong.

Reaction score
Seems like it's just speculation by Florio.

Putting 2+2 together and trying to "break" a story.

Would Rod really be so classless as to do this an hour after our season ends?

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Broaddus has been talking for awhile on Twitter like he expected Marinelli to leave

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I'm not too upset about Marinelli leaving. Interesting on who to replace him with?

Mike Nolan? Mike Smith? Jim Tomsula? Ken Norton Jr.? Jim Schwartz? (Apparently Rex Ryan wants Dennis Thurman in Buffalo)

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Yea hope that's wrong.. He wasted no time getting out of here. And what's that mean for Frazier?

Reaction score
I'm not too upset about Marinelli leaving. Interesting on who to replace him with?

Mike Nolan? Mike Smith? Jim Tomsula? Ken Norton Jr.? Jim Schwartz? (Apparently Rex Ryan wants Dennis Thurman in Buffalo)

If he leaves I bet Eberflus moves up to DC

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yea hope that's wrong.. He wasted no time getting out of here. And what's that mean for Frazier?

I'm guessing if its true that Marinelli goes there to be DC. then Smith told Frazier last year when he hired him that he was going to make Marinelli DC the following year. Remember there were reports Lovie was trying to get Marinelli last yr and we wouldn't let him go.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Obviously Schwartz and Linehan worked together for several seasons in Detroit.

Maybe they go for him and he helps recruit on the field gangsta Suh here

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Garrett doesn't know any of them.

They will just be lazy and promote Eberflus.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Broaddus has been talking for awhile on Twitter like he expected Marinelli to leave

But he's a clueless guessing idiot... Unless of course he says something positive.

Seriously, there has been a lot of smoke about this. Rod must have some mad love for Lovie if it's true.

I also wonder if maybe Rod wasn't as totally on board with Kiffin being basically fired after one year as we were lead to believe.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Wonder what type of coordinator Eberflus will be. (like what type of scheme will he run, is he an aggressive guy or is he conservative etc etc) He was the LB coach for Rob Ryan in Cleveland before he came here for a couple years and prior to that he was DC at Missouri for 8 yrs.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Eberflus reeks of laziness and complacency.

I'm shocked Rod would bounce this quickly. I hope that means the team will put an actual effort into improving the d line talent.

Top Bottom